Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance policy for your Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Haggerty and every collector / specialty car insurance company won't let you camp inside your van as well.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Yep. That was the reason they would not cover my westy.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

I currently use foremost through USAA. It's insured as a RV. I made sure they could insure it even though it didn't have a pooper. It has stated value coverage. They said I could get appraisals and update the value, but ... it's still stated value so I don't know how it will work if something did happen.

I honestly just want an agreed value policy and am willing to pay a higher premium. If anyone in VA finds one let me know. Oh and I don't think I can fit my van in the garage either.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Are they building garages for Smart Cars nowadays? A Westie isn't that big and fits under any standard 7 foot door.

???
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Are they building garages for Smart Cars nowadays? A Westie isn't that big and fits under any standard 7 foot door.

???

I have no idea whats going on. I am right around 7' 2" at the highest point (the little hump where the poptop meets the luggage). So I just barely don't fit. 215/65/16 ko2. Syncro heavy duty schwenk springs and OME shocks. I got the springs done a few months ago maybe it hasn't settled yet.

I guess I could just load it down lol
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I currently use foremost through USAA. It's insured as a RV. I made sure they could insure it even though it didn't have a pooper. It has stated value coverage. They said I could get appraisals and update the value, but ... it's still stated value so I don't know how it will work if something did happen.

I honestly just want an agreed value policy and am willing to pay a higher premium. If anyone in VA finds one let me know. Oh and I don't think I can fit my van in the garage either.

So be careful with a stated value policy. It is much worse than just a regular policy. A stated value sets the MAX value for the vehicle, not the actual insurance payout if a total loss. They will still be able to compensate less based on market value and you'll argue with them about that. A regular policy will also pay out based on market value.

Either get an agreed value policy, which does set the actual insurance payout if a total loss, or just a regular policy. As the vehicle appreciates you will need to up the agreed value, typically based on an appraisal at your expense.

If you have a regular policy you can still get an appraisal and keep it in a drawer in case it is needed, like for a total loss by fire which wipes out any ability to assess the condition of the vehicle before the fire, BTDT.

The Western Syncro build
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Ok I should clarify. So the policy is ACV, but I can send in appraisals which will raise the "stated value" on record. But, if I do get into an accident and they try to give me less or the last stated value is lower than current value my insurance company and I will both hire our own independent appraisers and work out a mediation. At least that is what it says in the policy documents.

The agent explained to me a lot of people have rvs and classic airstreams that they use so they go through this process pretty often. But who knows
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Ok I should clarify. So the policy is ACV, but I can send in appraisals which will raise the "stated value" on record. But, if I do get into an accident and they try to give me less or the last stated value is lower than current value my insurance company and I will both hire our own independent appraisers and work out a mediation. At least that is what it says in the policy documents.

The agent explained to me a lot of people have rvs and classic airstreams that they use so they go through this process pretty often. But who knows

This sounds like a reasonable policy to me.

The Western Syncro build
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Interesting thread that has my attention. I've been thinking about the policy I have presently on my 84 tintop with a conversion and a stack of upgrade receipts including a repaint: surely wouldn't come remotely close to even reasonable value.
Recently had to deal with the "insurance man" over the total loss value of a car, not fun with a lot of back and forth which is a game to wear you down to just throw in towel and accept their dribble.
Who would be a suggestion source for an appraisal for a Vanagon?
Free Range Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

My Hagerty policy was just cancelled after a year. They stated that the
vehicle was used for camping as a reason for the cancellation. I think they will
insure it if its just a classic car and not actually used as a normal car. You can just drive it to the car show. I dont know how they thought it wasnt used, i didnt hide anything, Oh well.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Free Range Bus wrote:
...I think they will insure it if its just a classic car and not actually used as a normal car. You can just drive it to the car show....

From the Hagerty website:

Quote:
Flexible Usage

Our policy allows you occasional pleasure use with no fixed mileage restrictions**. With Hagerty, you can go for a weekend drive, take your vehicle up to the local ice cream shop or attend unlimited events and cruises.

** Occasional pleasure use does not mean use for daily driving to and from work or school, routine shopping, etc.

Last fall I drove one of the vehicles I have insured with Hagerty from AZ to Canada. I told them my plan (it was a week-long classic car cruise) and they sent me a proof of insurance specifically for crossing the border enclosed in a plastic pouch that said 'Cruise Liberally'.

Obviously they want the use to be somewhat limited to support the better coverage / lower premiums. Sounds like camping trips are not their idea of 'occasional pleasure use'.
icutler198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Sooooooooooo

I read some of this thread and reached out to Liliya at Farmers and she was able to connect me with an appraiser.

The appraisers name is Gary. Liliya recommended somebody else who ended up just sending Gary my way so I thought I would just list his information. Gary used to own his own VW focused repair shop nearby in Oceanside some years ago so he knows his stuff.

Liliya Vizitiu
Farmers Insurance
Sacramento, CA
License: 0E73307
916-921-6177 (Office)
[email protected]

Gary Haugley
760-594-2422
[email protected]
Vista, CA

I'm still waiting on my appraisal from Gary to finish up, but essentially whatever the appraisal is will set the value of a possible claim on my vehicle. So if someone steal my precious van tomorrow and chops it up in Tijuana and it's appraised at 18k, I'll get 18k.

Say it gets totaled in 10 years and I continue to meticulously maintain it and the value appreciates up to 22k, I'll still only get 18k because the lesser value of the two.

If I want to increase the coverage in a few years, say after I make some sweet sweet upgrades and want to make sure my ass is covered. I can call up Gary and get it re-appraised. I do believe Farmers has a ceiling of 25k on this type of policy, but I could be wrong.

The appraisal cost me $350. The rates from Farmers seemed to be relatively competitive, around $575-$675 on the higher end of coverage that they offered.

To me that's totally worth it for the peace of mind, especially with the amount of money most of us dump into our vans. Obviously some of this is California/San Diego specific, but hopefully this gives some of you an idea of how you can go about getting quality coverage.

Cheers,
Ian
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

That $350 is some of the best money you can spend. Having an appraisal saved me many thousands when I had a fire in 2008 and my bus burned to the ground, nothing but glowing metal was left. If it were not for the appraisal 6 months earlier I would have been SOL to prove a high value. I got $17,000 back in 2006 for a freshly upgraded '87 westy.

The Western Syncro build
icutler198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Agreed! My appraisal just came back at 22k. The peace of mind that $350 can buy...
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

icutler198 wrote:

..... The rates from Farmers seemed to be relatively competitive, around $575-$675 on the higher end of coverage that they offered.

Cheers,
Ian

Can I ask what time frame that is for?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
icutler198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

6 months
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks.
I'm paying way too much.
I almost pay that much (with no accidents) and I only have min. liability.
Geeesh..
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
icutler198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Just wrapped it all up!

Appraisal: $350
6 month policy: $645

Policy is with 22k of coverage at a $250 deductible and 100/300 Liability.

I probably got the highest level of possible coverage, so you could save a little bit of money, but it would probably only be a couple hundred dollars per year. For that I would rather have my ass covered and that is the entire point of this thread.

Cheers,
Ian
icutler198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Just to add, the customer service was top notch the entire time. I am very comfortable with sending people their way.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

IMO - pretty futile comparing what others pay to what you pay.

Driving record, state of residence, specific coverages, credit rating, zip code, other policies with the carrier, age of drivers, miles per year, forgiveness features, multi-car discounts... the factors that go into a specific rate defy a price comparison with other users.

Having an appraisal is a good idea though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: