Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance policy for your Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icutler198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Dude, the whole point of this thread is comparing insurance. Obviously there are different variables.
brownbear1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Many thanks to r390 and others on this thread.

For comparison purposes, I used USAA to quote my Westy as an RV, and they sent me along to Progressive. I had spoken to Progressive (my everyday car insurance company) about RV insurance, and Progressive said I get a better rate by going through USAA as a member... go figure.

Anyhow, I quoted (and purchased) a 12-month policy in Texas for $643 for the agreed value ($30K; rebuilt engine, bigger brakes, wheels, tires; new paint; less than 100K original miles) of my 1985 van. Stated that I use it between 30 and 150 days for "pleasure," which I suppose is accurate, if you consider camping and traveling with 3 kids pleasurable.

Progressive offered the ACV as an option, but after reading this and other threads, chose to go the Agreed Value route. Kept liability coverage at 100/300/50. Interestingly, Progressive included a "Fire Department Service" payout of $1,000 and a Vacation Liability of $10,000 as part of the policy.

I know that everyone's experience with insurance is different. But wanted to encourage those who might be USAA members to check out their rates as well, I think I got a pretty fair deal.

-- Rudyard Kipling's summation of owning a VW --
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sack Lunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Hey brownbear1985 -- thanks for your comments. I was quoted ~$800 for a year's coverage by Farmers/Foremost but reading through the policy it was a Actual Cash Value (ACV) and not the Agreed Value Policy (AVP). Foremost said their underwriters could not provide an AVP so I went back to USAA and they said they can make it happen as an RV policy. At underwriting now, but I appreciate the details...good information for taking care of the worst case scenario.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

I also got insured with Progressive as an RV, going through USAA. Easy experience.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

i have a policy through progressive for regular ol comprehensive collision with acv i believe. Basically where they determine market value. i had an accident and when it came time to value the van they were very fair. 18k for a 2wd westy, 2 years ago.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the name of the appraiser around Seattle who is good with Vanagons?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

John Kincl out of Port Orchard?

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
I also got insured with Progressive as an RV, going through USAA. Easy experience.

I found State Farm was much more competitive than USAA for auto, but with my ton of drivers over the years I am happy to report only one claim which didn’t even require a payout. Whew.
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Posting my happiness with Hagerty insurance. I just purchased a 1984 tintop, so I added it to my existing policy with Hagerty.

The existing policy is for a 1997 BMW 328i Convertible. I told them I value the BMW at $4k. My annual premium for that was $317, with full coverage, no deductible.

When I added the VW, it went up by $111 for the year. That is including full coverage valued at $6k.

Total for both vehicles is $428/yr. I thought that was very good.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
John Kincl out of Port Orchard?

Thank you very much!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Just went through the process of obtaining an Agreed Value policy for $30,000 for our Syncro hightop with annual cost of a hair over $1000 annually.

No mileage restrictions, no garage requirements, and no appraisal required, although I did provide a through memorandum detailing our Syncro with receipts annotated plus recent FMV comparisons on the private market. Depending on particulars YMMV. Ended up working with the local Farmer's agent who apparently subcontracts out the actual policy through Haggertys.

Suerte.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

BCgee wrote:
...No mileage restrictions, no garage requirements, and no appraisal required... Ended up working with the local Farmer's agent who apparently subcontracts out the actual policy through Haggertys.

Interesting, what is the name of the carrier on your insurance card? Hagerty is a agent, there will be another name for the insurance company.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

I have Farmers and my agent said if I have receipts for my van that would be enough to define how much they would pay if totaled.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
I have Farmers and my agent said if I have receipts for my van that would be enough to define how much they would pay if totaled.

Your agent is not going to cut the check to pay you. What does that your policy say? Read the fine print.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I currently use foremost through USAA. It's insured as a RV. I made sure they could insure it even though it didn't have a pooper. It has stated value coverage. They said I could get appraisals and update the value, but ... it's still stated value so I don't know how it will work if something did happen.

I honestly just want an agreed value policy and am willing to pay a higher premium. If anyone in VA finds one let me know. Oh and I don't think I can fit my van in the garage either.

Are you still with Foremost?

I am in VA and have a Foremost ACV policy. I would love to find an agreed value policy for a Westy, but previously struck out with Progressive and no chance at Hagerty with a camper. If ACV is my only option I guess I should start getting appraisals every so often.

From what I've read the ACV would only change based on depreciation and wear and tear. I don't see any Westies depreciating in the future. I guess the point is proving it?
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:

That’s Chapter one of a well worn out book, with a sad ending.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:

Your agent is not going to cut the check to pay you. What does that your policy say? Read the fine print.

Abscate wrote:

That’s Chapter one of a well worn out book, with a sad ending.

Will investigate. Thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Just moved our 82 camper over to Hagerty. No problem with it being a camper. It was in their drop down when I was putting an online quote together. Agreed value was my determination. I based my agreed value on what I would feel comfortable with if we came home and the van was gone. I'm in South Florida, so maybe Hagerty varies state to state.

Moving the van over, my rate is the same as I was paying for bodily and liability with no comp or collision. We are required to have "real" insurance on our daily drivers though. They asked about a garage, which we happen to have. I don't recall estimating annual mileage. Like all insurance, hope we don't have to use it.

When determining value, I asked my wife what we'd do if the van was stolen. She said, "we'd buy another one". How lucky am I?
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Just moved our 82 camper over to Hagerty. No problem with it being a camper.

Interesting... I will have to try Hagerty again.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

Quick update... I was able to get a Hagerty agreed value policy today and saved about $180/yr over my Foremost ACV policy. The actual policy is through Essentia. Thanks Mark Ward for the tip.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: