Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

Throw this damn thing in the dumpster! We need room for the important stuff.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

RUNKLE wrote:

Where was this photograph taken?

Judging from the lack of a right-hand side sliding door, it was somewhere in the British Commonwealth / Empire!

The following photograph taken by me, of my family's 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental, was on a wire-rope guided river-ferry across the River Danube in Hungary (behind the "Iron Curtain"), during our 1985 summer touring holiday, which took us to within 20 km of the Ukranian border.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:27 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
RUNKLE wrote:

Interesting how that windshield came out. Usually most of the little chunks stick the layer of plastic laminated in there. I know some of the older stuff didn't have laminated safety glass, but I figured all vehicles had it by the time that bus was built.

Not in Europe, some jurisdictions required tempered glass windshields long into the 70's, or maybe even later.

Definately later!

My British specification, 1973 model-year (manufactured in circa late-August or early-September 1972) VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan) still has its original factory-fitted zone-toughened (i.e. tempered) front windscreen, although I hope to replace that in the future with an after-market, electrically-heated, laminated front windscreen, which are readily available in Great Britain.

In Great Britain, some car models [including the MG Midget] were still being factory-fitted with zone-toughened front windscreens into at least the early-1980s, although some luxury cars like the Triumph Dolomite were factory-fitted as standard with laminated front windscreens by the mid-1970s (probably 1976 or 1977) and some could have them fitted or retro-fitted as an extra-cost option; which I suspect might have been the case sometime prior to May 1975, with my 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special" [a close sibling to the Triumph Dolomite model range; being in effect, a 6 inch shorter Triumph Dolomite 1300 with smaller boot (i.e. trunk in USA parlance!?!)].

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1975/oct/27/windscreens-and-laminated-glass

https://www.1stcallwindscreensltd.co.uk/news/windscreen-laws-regulations-in-the-uk-infographic/

https://www.budget-windscreensbilston.co.uk/mots-and-cracked-windscreens-what-the-law-says/

In one of the reality-TV documentaries about Dan Short and his team at Fantom Works (is this a deliberate mis-spelling of Phantom Works!?!) in Norfolk, Virginia, USA, he expressed disbelief when working on a pre-1970s, right-hand drive Morgan sports car (still hand-built in Malvern, England), that had a tempered front windscreen, which he shattered when trying to grind a slot in the edge of the glass.

https://morgan-motor.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Motor_Company

A few years ago, I sent Dan Short an e-mail message to educate him about such things! Very Happy I never did receive any reply!

https://fantomworks.com

https://biographyresearch.org/where-is-fantomworks-today-what-is-dan-short-doing-now/

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Xgeraet wrote:

1978 Norfolk Va. Ark Royal and Nimitz alongside. What's parked up on the pier?

I think HMS Invincible might have been even smaller than HMS Ark Royal, given that the Hawker Harrier V/STOL jump-jet fighters operating from it during the 1982 Falklands War, did NOT need such a long runway, especially with the innovative "ski-jump" ramp fitted! Very Happy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(R05)

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
DavidOx wrote:

Now that looks like a job I could sit and watch all day. Smile

That picture reminds me of when I saw cattle being individually hoisted aboard a cargo ship using a derrick, when I was in the Azores a few decades ago!

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Fish wrote:

Fish wrote:
TheMonk wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Fish wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
EverettB wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Some neat accessories on this one. Love those front window bug screens for camping.

cdennisg wrote:
calvinater wrote:
RHD ? Or double slider ?

Good question, and really hard to tell either way. I am guessing RHD.

Roo bar / cow catcher so probably Australia and RHD?

Maybe someone knows where the country for that license plate

The huge roof rack is cool

I was thinking the same thing. I guess a roo bar could have been had for Mediterranean or African travel, too, but it seems likely to be Australia.

Looks like a good setup, but meant to go slow. A long, fully loaded roof rack doesn't go well with highway speeds and old VW's.

I found the picture on Reddit. IIRC the poster said it was taken in Africa or was it Portugal, but I don't trust getting the truth on some of those posts.

It has those little white reflectors under the headlights that South African models do, maybe it's a SA bus visiting Portugal?

I dig the multiple Jerry jug setup on the front. Not so sure about the birdy scoops on the rear though.
I don't think the front number plate appears to be from any Australian state or territory.

From a distance that bushland looks like it's Australian but Southern African scrub is remarkably similar, I reckon it's South Africa or Zimbabwe maybe. And besides, that blokes wearing shoes, Australians don't wear shoes.

I went back and re found the posted picture of this red bus. OP said this is his parents in Namibia sometime in the 80's.

In this thread on Reddit where I found this bus, I have seen people posting old pictures of famous people/things saying, "This is my _____.", when it is pretty obvious it is a picture they found and are trying amaze others. For this reason, when I share these I take them with a grain of salt and I leave out the discription unless I'm pretty sure it is correct.

You might recall from your European colonial-history, that the relatively large countries of Angola (littered with innumerable undocumented landmines since the civil war!) and Mozambique, in southern Africa, were previously known as Portuguese West Africa and Portuguese East Africa respectively; each having monetary-coinage in Escudos (I once had some!) which clearly indicated their Portuguese association. The much smaller, former colony of Portuguese Guinea, now known as Guinea-Bissau, is close to Senegal (former French colony) and The Gambia (former British colony – part of British West Africa) in north-western Africa.

Having a left-hand side sliding door and front-panel mounted white reflectors, is consistent with this 1974~79 VW Type 2 being registered in the Republic of South Africa (Natal, Transvaal, Orange Free State & Cape Province), where vehicles would normally be right-hand drive, which is typical of virtually all British Commonwealth countries (apart from Canada) plus Ireland, Japan & Thailand. I believe South African citizens are permitted to make personal-imports of left-hand drive vehicles for personal use, but they would be prohibited from reselling them in South Africa.

There might not be kangaroos in South Africa, but there are large animals like elephants, wildebeest and antelopes of various kinds, which would create large dents in the front of one’s vehicle, if one were unfortunate enough to collide with any! Having been confronted by an elephant (with raised trunk and its ears laid back!) on the outskirts of Krugersdorp (an outer suburb of Johannesburg, Transvaal), I would suggest NOT trying to argue with one!

The South African provinces of Natal & Transvaal, neighbouring Swaziland & Zimbabwe, plus Zambia, Malawi & Tanzania, all have borders with Mozambique (which several years ago, being completely surrounded by former British colonies or protectorates, elected to become part of the British Commonwealth, despite having been a Portuguese colony). South Africa doesn’t have a border with Angola, but one could probably drive there via either Namibia (formerly South West Africa, under South African administration | German South West Africa prior to 1919) and Botswana (formerly the British, Bechuanaland protectorate), on what are likely to be dirt roads.

At this juncture, it might be interesting to note the relative average per-capita annual income, plus life-expectancy of men and women respectively in 1987, which is documented in the following 34~35 year old publication.

Alan B. Mountjoy (Consultant Editor), Reader’s Digest Guide to Places of the World: A Geographical Dictionary of Countries, Cities, Natural and Man-Made Wonders”, Reader’s Digest Association Ltd, First Edition, 1987.

Life-expectancy is a precise statistical term, indicating that within that population, 50% will die before that age and 50% will survive beyond that age; indicating that in 1987, 50% of men & women in the USA were expected to die before the ages of 69 & 74 years respectively! This is relatively poor compared to most of the former European colonial powers, but significantly better than most African countries, by 20 years or more.

Netherlands – US$ 8,599 | 74 years | 78 years

France – US$ 8,850 | 73 years | 78 years

Canada – US$ 10,275 | 73 years | 77 years

Australia – US$ 9,518 | 72 years | 77 years

New Zealand – US$ 6,850 | 72 years | 76 years

Spain – US$ 4,200 | 72 years | 76 years

UK – US$ 7,550 $US | 71 years | 77 years

Belgium – US$ 7,870 | 71 years | 76 years

West Germany (BRD) - US$ 9,341 | 71 years | 76 years

USA – US$ 11,695 | 70 years | 77 years

East Germany (DDR) - US$ 6,000 | 71 years | 75 years

Portugal – US$ 2,010 | 70 years | 75 years

South Africa – US$ 1,870 | 61 years | 65 years

Botswana – US$ 930 | 56 years | 62 years

Zimbabwe – US$ 860 | 53 years | 57 years

Swaziland – US$ 740 | 51 years | 56 years

Tanzania – US$ 270 | 50 years | 53 years

Namibia – US$ 1,800 | 50 years | 53 years

Zambia – US$ 430 | 49 years | 52 years

Portuguese East Africa => Mozambique – US$ 159 | 47 years | 50 years

Malawi – US$ 190 | 43 years | 45 years

Portuguese West Africa => Angola – US$ 670 $US | 41 years | 43 years

Portuguese Guinea => Guinea-Bissau – US$ 180 | 39 years | 43 years

I think it unlikely that the photograph was taken in Zimbabwe [means “house of stone” | formerly known as Rhodesia during 1965 to 1980, which had previously been called Southern Rhodesia; Northern Rhodesia having later been renamed Zambia, which borders Malawi, that was previously known as Nyasaland). Rhodesia (North & South) and Nyasaland, like much of Africa, were under British colonial administration or significant British influence, sharing a common Rhodesia & Nyasaland monetary-coinage, of which I have several specimens in my coin collection of the British Commonwealth, Colonies, Protectorates & Mandates.

During the late-1960s and 1970s, Rhodesia would have been extremely hazardous for any white-skinned Rhodesians, South Africans or other nationalities; being in grave danger of murder (typically hacked to death with a machete and/or shot with an AK47) by black Rhodesian terrorists associated with ZANU, ZAPU or other organisations.

During this period, many white Rhodesians (including children) carried side-arms and/or a rifle, as a precaution against encountering the aforementioned terrorists, either as a result of home / farm invasion or road blocks on rural back roads.

Wide-scale military operations against the terrorists (including “hot-pursuit” incursions into Mozambique), were conducted by the elite RLI - Rhodesian Light Infantry (of which I was acquainted with a former member, whilst I was at the Royal Military College of Science during 1990~91), Selous Scouts, Rhodesian SAS and other units.

Rhodesian army & police, commonly travelled in landmine-protection vehicles, custom built in Rhodesia on VW Type 2 chassis.

https://www.academia.edu/85105998/Protection_of_Light_Skinned_Vehicles_Against_Landmines_A_Review

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_security_vehicle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mine_Protected_Combat_Vehicle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Bush_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Security_Forces

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Special_Air_Service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Light_Infantry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selous_Scouts

Under the all-white political regime, headed by Prime Minister Ian Smith, Rhodesia was a relatively prosperous country, with a thriving agricultural economy and a well-respected university (amongst other things, it did ground-breaking research on Rinderpest; a devastating disease of livestock). Although colonial rule was far from perfect, in far too many cases, it was better for all than the regimes which replaced it!

Over the years following the April 1980 elections (supervised by the British Foreign & Commonwealth / Colonial Office) and name-change to Zimbabwe, what had started out as a seemingly benign political administration, headed by Prime Minister Robert Mugabe (a well-educated man! | of the 80% majority Mashona / Shona tribe) of ZANU – Zimbabwe African National Union and Deputy Prime Minister Joshua Nkomo (of the 20% minority Matabele / Ndebele tribe) of ZAPU – Zimbabwe African People’s Union, progressively deteriorated into a non-democratic (despite periodic elections!?!) totalitarian dictatorship, with state-sponsored murders, shortages of food, water & electricity, plus other commodities & services, combined with raging inflation, which prompted many black Zimbabweans to seek refuge elsewhere.

As white land owners were dispossessed and the farms given to acolytes who had little if any knowledge of farming or land management, many white Rhodesians fled to South Africa, Great Britain or elsewhere, taking their knowledge & expertise with them, but sadly not their possessions or money! Consequently, there were too few well educated, trained & experienced black-Zimbabweans to take their place.

In April 1980, my parents and I were touring northern South Africa (Natal, Transvaal & Orange Free State), Swaziland and southern Botswana, in a hired Nissan E20 based motor-caravan, with steering-column mounted gear-change & manual transmission and rear-wheel drive with open differential.

At that time South Africa was still under white-majority rule with strict application of apartheid (segregated housing, schools, hospitals, ambulances & buses etc, plus inter-racial relationships being illegal under the terms of the “Immorality Act”), so many white South Africans (both of British and Afrikaans origin) were extremely concerned at that time, about what would happen following the elections in Rhodesia, and whether there would subsequently be violent, murderous armed rebellion by black South Africans!

My father had previously visited South Africa and Rhodesia in 1972, as medical officer & deputy manager, of the England Southern Areas judo team, invited & sponsored by the South African Judo Association, who were desperate during the apartheid era and associated International economic sanctions, to attract top-level sports teams.

I still have the limited-edition decorative plaque, commemorating that judo-team’s 1972 tour, together with full-sized, 1972-period flags, of both South Africa and Rhodesia, which might now be quite rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_South_Africa_(1928–1994)

1928~1994 South African Flag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rhodesian_flags

1965~80 Rhodesian Flag

Our 1980 touring holiday in South Africa, arose because of a standing invitation to my father, by one of the South African Judo Association members (a divorce-lawyer & part-time police officer), to visit again with his family, at some time in the future.

Most countries or regions in Africa, were under colonial administration at various stages, by either the Belgians, British, Dutch, French, Germans, Italians, Portuguese & Spanish, of which the British & French had the largest shares! Even the USA had a toe-hold in Africa, otherwise known as Liberia, where many ships with dubious safety standards are registered! German colonial possessions in East, West & Southwest Africa [recall the cinematic films “The African Queen” and “Shout at the Devil”] were ceded to the other European powers, as partial reparation for the First World War.

Similarly, North, Central & South America and the Caribbean, were under colonial administration at various stages, by either the British, Dutch, French, Portuguese & Spanish and much of Southeast Asia was also under colonial administration at various stages, by either the British, Dutch, French & Portuguese. Even the USA tried to create (i.e. Vietnam War) a de facto American pseudo-colony after the Second World War, in what had been French Indochina – Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia.

Former American “Colonies” in AFRICA!?!

Liberia

Former Belgian Colonies in AFRICA

Belgian Congo (later Zaire)

Burundi (formerly part of German East Africa)

Rwanda (formerly part of German East Africa)

Former Dutch Colonies in AFRICA

Cape Province (South Africa)

Former German Colonies in AFRICA

German West Africa – Togo (divided between France & Great Britain after 1918) & Cameroon (divided between France & Great Britain after 1918)

German South West Africa

German East Africa – Tanganyika, Rwanda & Burundi

Former Spanish Colonies in AFRICA

Spanish enclave surrounding Ceuta in north-western Morocco

Spanish Sahara

Spanish Guinea

Former Portuguese Colonies in AFRICA

Mozambique

Angola

Guinea-Bissau (formerly Portuguese Guinea)

Former Italian Colonies in AFRICA

Italian Somalia

Libya

Former French Colonies in AFRICA

Algeria

Morocco

Mauritania

Mali

Chad

Niger

Berkino Faso (previously Upper Volta)

Cameroon (partial)

Senegal

Ivory Coast

Dahomey (now Benin)

French Somalia (now known as Jibuti)

Former British Colonies, Protectorates and Regions of Influence in AFRICA

Egypt (protectorate 1917~22 | quasi-protectorate 1922~45 onward!?!)

Sudan

Ethiopia (formerly Abyssinia | British military aid during late-1930s, to eject invading Italian forces from Italian Somalia)

British West Africa – The Gambia, Sierra Leone, Ghana (formerly Gold Coast), Nigeria & Cameroon (partial)

British East Africa – British Somalia, Kenya & Mombasa, Uganda and Tanzania [formerly Tanganyika (formerly part of German East Africa) & Zanzibar]

Union of South Africa (now Republic of South Africa)

Rhodesia & Nyasaland – Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), Southern Rhodesia (later UDI Rhodesia | now Zimbabwe) & Nyasaland (now Malawi)

Bechuanaland (now Botswana)

Basutoland (now Lesotho)

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:06 am; edited 5 times in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

I see Eucalyptus trees, no? RHD, SA or Australia.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I see Eucalyptus trees, no? RHD, SA or Australia.

RHD vehicles have been known to venture beyond RHD countries, as has been the case for my family's 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental, which was previously owned by an Australian from mid-November 1972 until January 1975, whom we encountered in September 1974 on a campsite in southern Greece, adjacent to the Corinth Canal. Around the World treks have been recorded in books and other media, for a few RHD 1968~79 VW Type 2s.

If you can see and recognize Eucalyptus trees in the fuzzy, out-of-focus background of that photograph, you have better eyesight than me Gunga Din! Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes

Fish wrote:

Quote:
I don't think the front number plate appears to be from any Australian state or territory.

From a distance that bushland looks like it's Australian but Southern African scrub is remarkably similar, I reckon it's South Africa or Zimbabwe maybe. And besides, that blokes wearing shoes, Australians don't wear shoes.

Assuming that owner-driver was sensible, his 1974~79 VW Type 2, which probably has a VW 18/2000 Type 4 air-cooled engine, would have been equipped with the optional two-stage air filter unit (incorporates a vortex / cyclone air pre-cleaner) for dusty road conditions, which were available for these vehicles with twin Solex carburettors!?! This is mentioned in one of my Transporter Talk articles as follows:

Nigel A. Skeet, "Replacement parts & touring spares for Volkswagen Transporters, imported second-hand from overseas - Part 1, Transporter Talk, Issue 111, February 2011, Pages 16~21

Having travelled on dusty dirt & gravel roads in South Africa, Swaziland & Botswana, plus other African countries, I would regard a two-stage air filter as being essential!

All of the Australians I have met were wearing shoes, but they were NOT in Australia at the time! Smile In Australia, some wear "thongs" on their feet under certain circumstances.

https://australianmade.com.au/resources/aussie-made-features/thongs-australia/

Quote:
I dig the multiple Jerry jug setup on the front. Not so sure about the birdy scoops on the rear though.

I found South Africa to be sufficiently warm to wear short-trousers, short-sleeved shirt and sandals (with socks) all day, during the southern-hemisphere’s autumn (i.e. fall in USA parlance!?!) season, so I shudder to think what it would have been like during the summer. Hence, I can understand why many South Africans would seek to improve the effectiveness of their engine’s cooling system, by trying to divert more air through the high-level (positioned to minimise road-dust intrusion) engine-compartment air-intakes, using various extensions such as the “birdy scoops” to which you refer.

You might recall the modifications made to their USA specification, 1978 VW 2000 Type 2 ASI Riviera motor-caravan, by Dutch brothers Ralph & Lucas van den Houten (i.e. "MadMax78" & “Bursch”) for their Orange Trophy trips from Amsterdam to Beijing and Amsterdam to Cape Town, which involved significantly extending the catchment area of the engine-compartment air-intakes, but preserving the original style.

Ralph & Lucas van den Houten's extended air-intakes / air-scoops

Forum Index > Bay Window Bus > Baywindow to Beijing resto thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241979

Forum Index > Bay Window Bus > Iron Lion to Capetown

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370281

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

Wow, just look at that modestly-sized 1968~70 VW Type 2, lost in a vast sea of over-sized, overweight, overpowered, petrol-guzzling American cars! Shocked Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

If those car owners had bought VW Type 1, 3 or 4 cars, they would probably use about one-third to one-half as much petrol! Shocked

Even my father's late-1940s vintage, 29 horsepower, Morris 8 Series E (registration number HPG 782), managed a top speed of just under 60 mph and a fuel consumption that was significantly better than 30 mpg.

This car wasn't very fast, but on the roads that existed during the time we had it [i.e. pre-mid-1956 to mid-1964], it served us well; being my father's daily driver in and around Dundee, Scotland, plus our once or twice yearly, circa 420 mile trip to the London, England area, to visit my grandparents and other relatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Eight#Morris_Eight_Series_E

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/morris-eight-perfect-starter-classic

When my father started his one-year general medical practitioner (i.e. family doctor) training in Dundee, he bought a new 1964 VW 1200 Type 1 Beetle, from SMT - Scottish Motor Traders, for which he part-exchanged the faithful Morris 8 Series E.

My 58 horsepower, 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special" (which I still have) has managed more 40 mpg on occasions and will just about reach 80 mph, downhill with a following wind; which is more than enough, considering the UK's absolute maximum speed limit of 70 mph! Cool

I was incredulous, when in September 1981, the Ford Honey RV my family had hired in California, managed only 10 miles per US gallon of petrol (i.e. gasoline in USA parlance!?!). Rolling Eyes No wonder it had two 20 US gallon fuel tanks! Shocked Back in Great Britain, our public transport omnibuses carrying up to 80 passengers, did better than 8 miles per Imperial gallon!

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:57 am; edited 3 times in total
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

ChrisMac wrote:
udidwht wrote:
ChrisMac wrote:
Going through some old pictures & noticed my parents old '71 hiding in the background of a parade I attended in '82

Looking closely that appears to be a late model bus 72+. Why?

Air intake scoops are larger than the early bays.

Was always told by my parents that it was a '71

The more critical question, relates to which regiment were marching with their bagpipes, dressed in their kilts & glengarries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glengarry

When I lived in Dundee, Scotland (not to be confused with Dundee, Natal, South Africa, just north of Rourke's Drift) during the late-1950s & early-1960s, I often saw the Black Watch marching with pipes & drums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Watch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Watch_(Royal_Highland_Regiment)_of_Canada

Through my great grandmother Annie McQueen, I am linked to the McQueen Clan (clan badge below), whose ancestral home is the Isle of Skye.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
AC Mack wrote:

EveryBay People

Hats off to melting the race pot in that family

-Asian Jim

That's nothing!

My mother's caucasian nursing friend married a West Indian from Antigua, who had one son and two daughters. All three children had afro-style hair, but the daughters' hair was ginger in colour, which is an interesting combination.

Somewhere in my photographic archive, I have a photographic-print of one of the daughters driving a ride-on lawnmower, in their great uncle's garden in Antigua, whilst we were staying there on holiday in 1973.

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Photographs from the 1970s & 1980s of my family's British specification, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan on summer touring holidays in continental Europe

1975 - The Netherlands, Germany & Luxemburg

Our then newly purchased, second-hand 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental and the VW 1300 Type 1 Beetle belonging to our Dutch friends Hennie & Arthur Borghoff, outside their home in Apeldoorn, before we all departed for our 1975 summer holiday in Ettlebrück, Luxemburg.

I believe this photograph was also taken during our 1975 summer holiday, either in The Netherlands, Germany or Luxemburg. From late-1976 onward when we toured western Scotland, where we had the Minnow Fish carburettor retro-fitted in Lochgilphead during our 1976 summer holiday (no photographs!), the left-hand lower corner of the rear window, featured a National Trust for Scotland sticker, which is absent from this photograph!

https://www.nts.org.uk

The photograph features my father with Arthur Borghoff drinking tea (the preferred British beverage!) alongside a Ford Cortina Mk.2, in a car park somewhere. The Ford Cortina was one of the best-selling cars in Great Britain!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cortina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cortina#Mark_II_(1966–1970)

Although not visible in either of the photographs above, I had made two modest upgrades to the furniture close to the sliding door, which housed the sink and the insulated cool cabinet (i.e. "ice-box"), before we departed for our touring holiday in Luxemburg.

These upgrades took the form of some hinged metal stays and a supplementary cutlery drawer which I made myself in the SEEVIC - South East Essex Sixth Form College woodwork workshop, during late-June or early-July 1975, after completing my GCE "A" Level examinations, before enrolling at Chelsea College, University of London in October 1975

1979 Aix Les Bains, Southern France

Seen from left to right, this is my father, myself and my sixth-form college friend Tony (all slender, British adult males - don't forget that food rationing which started in 1940 during WW2, didn't end until 14 years later in 1954!), preparing for lunch, during our summer holiday 1979, as indicated by the presence of the home-made roof-rack cover.

My mother, out of sight, was the one taking the photograph using a Kodak Instamatic camera, with non-35 mm format colour-reversal film

My father (sitting on the towel) and my sixth-form college friend Tony - Anthony Marcus Clive Owers [who played a guitar, was sometimes known as "Hank", named after Hank Marvin of "The Shadows", who were associated with Cliff Richard] sitting in the camping chair, sunbathing at the campsite in Aix Les Bains in southern France in 1979.

In those days, I found it relatively easy to raise the elevating roof on my own, but by the early-1990s, I was finding it more difficult, so I contrived to retro-fit a pair of cheap second-hand gas struts, salvaged from the rear hatch of a Volvo 300-Series hatchback, using some custom-made brackets I fabricated from some more off-cuts of duralumin, that I had previously salvaged from the scrap bins at Cranfield.

This photograph of me on a racing bicycle (borrowed from Dutch friend Arthur Borghoff who was a cycle enthusiast) at the age of 23½ in 1979 when we were camping in Aix Les Bains, features a road direction sign for Le Colombier, which was part of one of the race stages with a steep hill section, on one of the International "Tour de France" cycle races.

That was in the days when I had a lot more hair, had a 28 inch waist and weighed 8½ stone (i.e. 8 stone 7 pounds or 119 pounds in USA parlance!).

After the 1979 holiday in Aix Les Bains, we next went to Switzerland in 1980, but took no photographs of the VW Type 2 there.

In September 1981, after I had just completed my two-year M,Sc. at Cranfield, we had a two-centre holiday in North America, first spending a few days in Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, with two retired Canadian Army nurses we had met in Ethiopia in 1972, followed by couple of weeks in southern California, USA, in a hired Ford Honey RV.

The next motor-caravanning holiday in the VW Type 2, was in Sweden, Norway & Denmark, during the summer of 1982.

1982 - Norway, Sweden & Denmark

Swedish & Danish car stickers

Whilst touring Sweden in 1982, the brass float of our Minnow Fish carburettor suffered a leak, causing the carburettor to flood, necessitating recovery from a petrol filling station roughly midway between Västervick and Kalmar, to a workshop in Kalmer, which was still open until quite late in the evening; where the float was drilled, drained and resealed with solder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Västervik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar

https://gb.kompass.com/c/minnow-fish-carburettors-ltd/gb55131811/

https://www.volkswagenownersclub.com/threads/minnow-fish-carb.128944/

https://www.historicvws.org.uk/minnowfishcarbs

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/201344-the-minnow-fish-carb-is-back-and-it-is-still-very-odd/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reece_Fish_Carburettor

At one of the campsites in Sweden, a red squirrel (smaller & cuter than the North American grey squirrel) came to perform a roadworthiness inspection on our 4~5 year old Michelin XZX 185 SR14 Reinforced radial-ply tyres and admire the original factory-fitted steel wheels that I had repainted with silver-grey, hammered-finish paint, from Finnigan's Speciality Paints Ltd, which did an excellent job of effectively camouflaging underlying blemishes.

https://www.hammerite.co.uk

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/direct-to-rust-metal-paint-hammered-finish/

You might also have noted the North American specification, Hella rear side-marker lights which I had earlier retro-fitted to our British specification VW Type 2! I also retro-fitted North American specification, Hella front side-marker reflectors, but with hindsight I wished I had been aware that the part number I was given, was for a side-marker reflector base rather than a side-marker light base. Crying or Very sad

Also retro-fitted, is a BNC, through-bulkhead male connector with splash-resistant cover, which was the only, small & neat connector I could find, to provide a low-power, 12V DC power supply to the 8W fluorescent strip light in our annexe tent.

Another item of potential interest are the genuine 1968~79 VW Type 2, accessory rear mad flaps (textile-reinforced black rubber, with embossed white Wolfsburg crest). Sadly, they were NOT supplied with mounting brackets, so I fabricated some myself, using off-cuts of duralumin (a tough, corrosion-resistant aluminium alloy) salvaged from the scrap-bins at Cranfield.

Rear mud-flaps of identical style to those retro-fitted to my family's 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental in 1981

This is a close-up of the Swedish red squirrel (undercover Swedish roadworthiness inspector) that was inspecting the 4~5 year old Michelin XZX 185 SR14 Reinforced radial-ply tyres. At the time I took the photograph, I was hiding in the annexe tent, and substituted a telephoto lens onto my circa 1978 Olympus OM2 SLR camera.

1983 - Austria via France & Liechtenstein

The following year, during the very hot summer of 1983, we had a touring holiday in Austria.

Austrian car sticker

I cannot remember where the first of these photographs was taken, but it is likely to have been one of the main routes through Germany or Austria.

The second photograph, was certainly taken in Austria, at one of the large laybys cum rest areas (including free public toilets) with picnic tables, off one of the main dual-carriage ways (almost two-lane motorway standard) from west to east through central Austria. Note the surrounding mountains which still had snow on the peaks, even in mid-summer!

The third photograph was taken just outside the church yard, in the small town or village called Stams, where we camped overnight. The following day, at the local post office, I was able to cash one of my special Girobank [a bank associated with the British post office] postcheques, upto a maximum specified threshold, in the local currency which was then Austrian schillings (these days it is Euros!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stams

Unlike banks, post offices in most European countries were often still open during the early evenings and at weekends, one only paid a nominal fee of £0•50 per postcheque, and one generally got a more favourable exchange rate than at banks. Very Happy

After visiting Innsbrück, including the unusual Alpine Zoo where we saw chamois, otters and European wild cats (closely related to the Scottish wild cats - felis silvesteris), plus various other animals, birds & fish, our next destination was the area around Wien - Vienna, but we didn't want to travel on the motorway, which would be extremely tedious and would not enable us to see the surrounding countryside or stop at intervals of our choice to engage in sightseeing etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_wildcat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_wildcat

Hence, we decided to take a more circuitous route which involved crossing the border into northern Italy, via the Brenner Pass and then travelling east, almost parallel to the border with Austria, before turning north again to re-cross the border reasonably close to Vienna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenner_Pass

This fourth picture is on the outskirts of a small town or village, at the southern end of the Brenner Pass in northern Italy. If one looks carefully, one can see our orange & white RHD 1973 VW Type 2 on the far left-hand side of the picture, about two-fifths of the way up from the bottom. One can clearly see the spare wheel mounted on the front panel and the open left-hand passenger door.

Generally speaking, we didn't like driving in cities, so elected to stay at a campsite near Laxenburg, where we could go on the local public-transport bus service into Vienna, from a bus stop just a short way from the campsite entrance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxenburg

During that summer, the temperature in Austria was in excess of 30 degrees Celcius, and on the campsite I encountered a British family who had a problem with their 1980~83 VW 1600 Transporter T3 based motor-caravan! Crying or Very sad For some strange reason, the actuating cables for the exhaust heat exchangers, had been incorrectly fitted, so the heating system was operating at full blast all the time and could not be turned off! Shocked Fortunately, I was able to quickly diagnose the source of the problem and rectify it in just a few minutes, using a spanner I had in my emergency tool kit! Cool

1985 - Hungary via France, southern West Germany & Austria

The following two photographs were taken in Hungary (behind the "Iron Curtain"), during our rather cold, wet & rainy, 1985 summer touring holiday; as one might have deduce from the first photograph in which my parents and Swedish university-friend Kjell B. Gestlöv [a transmission designer with Scania in Södertälje] from Cranfield student days, are clad in their wet-weather clothing on the ferry across the River Danube. For safety reasons, we were not permitted to remain in the vehicle during the river crossing!

The second photograph, was taken when we stopped to examine the field of blue flowers. I think they were cornflowers, the seeds of which when ground in a mill, are used as a thickener for gravy etc.

We covered a substantial proportion of Hungary, to within about 20 km of the Ukrainian border. Owing to the miserable weather, we shortened our Holiday in Hungary, but used the remaining time before our scheduled return crossing of the English Channel by Hoverlloyd, Seaspeed or Hoverspeed (an amalgamation of Hoverlloyd & Seaspeed), Mountbatten Class, SRN-4 hovercraft (carried passengers, cars, vans, trailer-caravans, motor-caravans, lorries & coaches), to visit our Dutch friends Hennie & Arthur Borghoff in ether Apeldoorn, Epe or Vaassen in The Netherlands; they having moved once or twice since 1975.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaspeed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverlloyd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverspeed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR.N4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apeldoorn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epe,_Netherlands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaassen

I still have a few spare Hoverspeed GB stickers, which are probably quite rare now, but GB stickers were super ceded by UK stickers nearly two years ago, so they are just mementos now! When we booked a cross-channel ferry, took out AA 5* travel insurance or obtained an overseas extension cover for our motor-insurance, we routinely received a GB sticker bearing the company logo with our documents, so consequently I still have a few spare. Smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265

Just in case, some people didn't recognise what GB stood for, there were were also versions which incorporated the British Union flag; probably one of the World's best known and most distinctive flags in existence.

Seaspeed (part of British Rail) SRN-4 hovercraft "The Princess Margaret"

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/317644579980745720/

Hoverspeed SRN-4 hovercraft

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/317644579980745725/

1987 - Czechoslovakia via France & West Germany

When we toured Czechoslovakia (Invaded by Russian tanks in 1967, in response to Andre Dubcek's liberalisation of communism| behind the "Iron Curtain", during the "Cold War") during the summer of 1987, we had to be especially careful about what we photographed and where, so whilst there I took very few photographs of anything and none of our VW Type 2!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Pact_invasion_of_Czechoslovakia

Although by then our 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental was nearly 15 years old, it still attracted a great deal of attention from the local population, especially once we travelled east of Prague, beyond which one saw few if any cars from western Europe. As in Hungary, we travelled to within 20 km of the Ukrainian border.

In one town square, where we had parked it before going shopping for daily food provisions (that was an experience in itself!) and sight seeing. When we returned, the VW Type 2 was completely surrounded by people, uttering ooh or ah as they peered through the windows and pointed at things inside.

Although small touring trailer-caravans from neighbouring Eastern Bloc states, towed by Ladas, Skoda, Trabants or Wartburgs etc, were quite common, ours was probably the first motor-caravan they had seen and a genuine 15 year old Volkswagen, was probably regarded as the height of modern technology!

1989 - Eire - Republic of Ireland via England & Wales

Our next touring holiday, during the summer of 1989, was in in Eira - Republic of Ireland, across the Irish Sea. We would also have liked to have visited Northern Ireland, which was and still is part of the United Kingdom, but at that time, there was still significant risk of bombings & shootings by the IRA (partly funded by some misguided American citizens of Irish origin!) and other illegal para-military terrorist organisations, so one could not obtain comprehensive motor insurance of any description.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1563119.stm

https://repository.library.georgetown.edu/handle/10822/552676

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/19...528f8ac70/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1c...the_irish/

Apart from one day, when it was particularly wet and misty / foggy, it only rained during the night (heavily, for most of the night). The following, is the are three photographs I took, in a part of Ireland known as the Ring of Kerry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Kerry

Note the unusual wedge-shaped, large rock in the second & third photograph

1992 - Southwest England

This is my family's 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan during the summer of 1992, on a campsite near Torrington, Devon, southwest England, together with family friends Michael & Janet Carrick, from Canvey Island, Essex, together with their Lancia Thema and large touring caravan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Torrington

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Thema

Note the absence of the Westfalia's rear-mounted roof rack, which I think I had removed in order to have the galvanised steel rails and strap-bridges refurbished.

This was the VW Type 2's last outing with the original factory-fitted VW 1600 Type 1 Beetle engine, before we laid it up for the next phase of refurbishment & further upgrades. In early-1993, I sold the original "short" engine for £200; minus ancillary equipment (i.e. clutch, cooling system, sheet-steel cover-plates, oil-cooler, fuel-pump, electrical generator - dynamo & stand, inlet manifolds, Minnow Fish carburettor, exhaust system, etc), which I sold off piecemeal over the following years.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:09 pm; edited 17 times in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Great pics and recounts of travels past Nigel! Thanks again for sharing.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
This photograph of me on a racing bicycle (borrowed from Dutch friend Arthur Borghoff who was a cycle enthusiast) at the age of 23½ in 1979 when we were camping in Aix Les Bains, features a road direction sign for Le Colombier, which was part of one of the race stages with a steep hill section, on one of the International "Tour de France" cycle races.

That was in the days when I had a lot more hair, had a 28 inch waist and weighed 8½ stone (i.e. 8 stone 7 pounds or 119 pounds in USA parlance!).

119 pounds? At what height? This sounds dangerously underweight and that's coming from someone who is pretty slim.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

Type 3
1968 Squareback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

That was in the days when I had a lot more hair, had a 28 inch waist and weighed 8½ stone (i.e. 8 stone 7 pounds or 119 pounds in USA parlance!?!).

119 pounds? At what height? This sounds dangerously underweight and that's coming from someone who is pretty slim.

By that age I was 1•79 metres or 5 feet 10½ inches tall, about which my father [a British general medical practitioner and graduate of the University of St. Andrews, Queen's College medical school, in Dundee, Scotland - M.B., Ch.B., D.R.C.O.G.] had no concerns.

A few months before that picture was taken, I attended a one-week International project camp, at Mersea Island, Essex, England, during which I was eating three substantial meals per day, but involved in much more physical exercise than normal. After weighing myself at the end of the week when I got home, my weight had decreased by 9 pounds, from 8 stone 7 pounds (i.e. 119 pounds in USA parlance!?!) to 7 stone 12 pounds (i.e. 110 pounds in USA parlance!?!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Medicine,_Bachelor_of_Surgery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Medicine,_Bachelor_of_Surgery#Scotland

https://rcog.org.uk/careers-and-training/exams/drc...0the%20UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_St_Andrews_School_of_Medicine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_St_And...dee_course

In that photograph, I was wearing my yellow T-shirt of the University of London, Institute of Education (where I undertook a one-year, 11~18 years age group, secondary-school cum high-school, P.G.C.E. teacher training course in physical sciences & mathematics), which I still wear sometimes during the warm summer months, although it is not quite such a loose fit these days! Wink

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ioe/courses/pgce-programmes

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ioe/about-ioe/history-ioe

https://tgmeducation.com/institute-of-education-university-of-london/

After September 1979, I was no longer commuting 3~3½ hours each day from my home on Canvey Island to the University of London, but instead living in either of the two halls of residence [former sergeants' mess at RAF Cranfield - Mitchell Hall; named after Reginald J Mitchell, the designer of the Supermarine Spitfire | former officers' mess at RAF Cranfield - Lanchester Hall] at Cranfield Institute of Technology, where I had three substantial 3-course meals each day, except during the weekends when I went home to spend time with my family; something many of the other British students did.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/cranfield-university-sign-new-strategic-relationship-charter/

https://wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/airfields/airfield.php?pid=5649

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranfield_Airport

https://www.cranfield.ac.uk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranfield_University#Cranfield_Institute_of_Technology_(1969–1993)

During 1979~80, full-board in either Mitchell Hall or Lanchester Hall (it wasn't self-catering in those days) with three meals per day, seven days per week, cost just £23 per week. Very Happy

https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/Study/Life-on-Campus/L...ester-Hall

https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/life-on-campus/l...chell-hall

I spent 4½ years there as a postgraduate engineering student, during which my weight increased from 8½ stone (i.e. 119 pounds in USA parlance!?!) to 9 stone (i.e. 126 pounds in USA parlance); which was my stable weight until my early-30s.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:52 am; edited 6 times in total
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I have a few more pictures and memories to supplement those. Hopefully, Everett won't mind too much if I post a close-up of that cute red squirrel (an under-cover, Swedish road-worthiness inspector in disguise) that was inspecting our Michelin XZX tyres.

Our 1985 & 1987 tours in Hungary & Czechoslovakia, were very much behind the "Iron Curtain" during the "Cold War" with the Soviet Union, so we had to be very careful about what we photographed and where, otherwise we would be in danger of being arrested for spying! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window photos from the past - 70's era photos Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I have a few more pictures and memories to supplement those. Hopefully, Everett won't mind too much if I post a close-up of that cute red squirrel (an under-cover, Swedish road-worthiness inspector in disguise) that was inspecting our Michelin XZX tyres.

Our 1985 & 1987 tours in Hungary & Czechoslovakia, were very much behind the "Iron Curtain" during the "Cold War" with the Soviet Union, so we had to be very careful about what we photographed and where, otherwise we would be in danger of being arrested for spying! Shocked

Well we have been chit chatting for several years now here on the Samba. I think this is the most pics of the bus you often speak about all in one place at one time. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 51

Jump to: