Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the correct way to R&R front defroster switch?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: What is the correct way to R&R front defroster switch? Reply with quote

I just replaced the front blower motor, and tested it before installing the air box. Now I have the dash all back in, everything is wired up, but the fan switch only works on high (3). I don't see how the switch comes out. I have a new one to install (just in case). I would think that it slides in from the dash side, but I am uncertain how to get at it......Bentley is not clear on this topic IMO.

Can anyone with experience tell me how the switch comes out. This is the one that is in the same plate as the slide knobs.

Thanks for any good help.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pull the plate off the dash (pull the ends of the levers off, pull the speed control knob off, pull carefully at two corners with tabs into dash), the switch comes off the plate, but you might be able to get at it from behind the dash without pulling the plate off. But if you have the replacement switch in hand, you will be able to tell how to install/remove it. After looking at what I wrote, it doesn't seem like it will help much, but im sure someone else will help more if this didnt help you.

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peaceful,
I just replaced my dash after a heater box restore as well. It's all front-brain still. I remember seeing posts here on this same problem and I believe it revolved around the capacitor inside the heater box. It's the round, ceramic thing that the control wires plug into with three different spade connectors. There's a least one post about how to relocate it to outside of the box, etc... I hope I'm wrong about this since it means pulling the dash again. My knuckles and I send our empathies should this be the reason.

EDIT: capacitor should read resistor. Here's the thread I refer to:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=393207&highlight=heater+speed

Best of luck.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Peaceful,
I just replaced my dash after a heater box restore as well. It's all front-brain still. I remember seeing posts here on this same problem and I believe it revolved around the capacitor inside the heater box. It's the round, ceramic thing that the control wires plug into with three different spade connectors. There's a least one post about how to relocate it to outside of the box, etc... I hope I'm wrong about this since it means pulling the dash again. My knuckles and I send our empathies should this be the reason.

EDIT: capacitor should read resistor. Here's the thread I refer to:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=393207&highlight=heater+speed

Best of luck.

Thank you, I read this but I guess I ignored it....for some dumb reason. First I want to see if it is the switch, and if not the case I will pull the dash again and either replace the resistor or bypass it. I don't mind pulling the dash again as it's fresh in my mind and I didn't find it that difficult, just time consuming.......which I have lot's of. Wink

And thank you fit, I will try that and see.....it seems as I look at the new switch it has to install from the face of the dash and not from the back.

Back to the drawing board.... Laughing Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
...it seems as I look at the new switch it has to install from the face of the dash and not from the back.

Yes, it installs from the face after you've removed the plug from the back... I remember now. I hope this is the culprit, much easier to deal with even though dash removal wasn't all that bad, thanks to Ben's play-by-play.

Post your results when you are done!
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
...it seems as I look at the new switch it has to install from the face of the dash and not from the back.

Yes, it installs from the face after you've removed the plug from the back... I remember now. I hope this is the culprit, much easier to deal with even though dash removal wasn't all that bad, thanks to Ben's play-by-play.

Post your results when you are done!

Thank you! I will post my results and some photos I took along the way.
I just got off the tele with Tencent (Chris), and discussed ways to trouble shoot......I've got a good idea in my head now on how to proceed. Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: