Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blue wire on alternator?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

Can someone give me a more detailed explanation of the light-gauge blue wire on the alternator? Previous threads and Bentley are a little confusing/unhelpful...

Is the blue wire only a connection for the warning light on the dash, or does it also provide excitation voltage for the field coil? What voltage should I see on the blue wire with:

A. Ignition off
B. Ignition on
C. Engine running

Thanks!

-Bill
'89 Syncro
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue wire should have 12 volts going through it when the alternator is spinning and should provide a ground path when the alternator is not spinning. It feeds the alternator light and the oxygen sensor mileage counter.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris! I seem to have the strange low-rpm alternator bug that has been alluded to on several other threads:

1. Fire up the engine, alternator light is ON
2. Check voltage at alternator = 12v = no charge
3. Rev up engine briefly
4. Check voltage again -- 14V & charging fine

Seems to be good now even when RPMs drop back to a low idle...

Alternator is almost new
Battery is almost new and in good shape
Cleaned up my grounds recently
Alternator belt might be a little loose

Any idea what's happening here? I suppose the alternator belt might have been quietly and discretely (I was staring right at it) slipping and then it engaged more securely when I revved the engine... Or is this something amiss with the field coil supply or the voltage regulator? Is this scary, or something I shouldn't worry about?

Thanks!
-Bill
'89 Syncro
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
The blue wire should have 12 volts going through it when the alternator is spinning and should provide a ground path when the alternator is not spinning. It feeds the alternator light and the oxygen sensor mileage counter.

And I believe it operates the relay under the drivers seat for a second battery.
jptech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Alt blue wire Reply with quote

The wire in European DIN terms is D+/61. It is the ground side of the dash charge indicator lamp. When the ignition is switched on, run bus power is supplied to one side of the lamp. the other side of the lamp is the blue D+/61 circuit that provides a ground thru the Alt brushes. This does two things. It completes the charge lamp circuit allowing it to light during KOEO and provides full voltage to the field rotor. When the engine starts, D+/61 is flooded with Alt output voltage. With 12V on both sides of the charge lamp, current cannot flow and the charge lamp goes out. The regulator takes control of the field rotor power & Alt output. If the Alt fails to produce power the blue D+/61 circuit remains a ground, current flows and the lamp remains on during KOER.

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John -- that helps. When I was seeing no alternator power I measured about 2.5 volts on the blue wire. Any idea what that's telling me?

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
josh_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd heard the blue wire was an anti-theft bit- if you hotwire the car instead of turning the ignition switch, the blue wire doesn't get connected, the alternator won't charge the battery, and eventually you'll be walking.

Anybody else heard this?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh_w wrote:
I'd heard the blue wire was an anti-theft bit- if you hotwire the car instead of turning the ignition switch, the blue wire doesn't get connected, the alternator won't charge the battery, and eventually you'll be walking.

Anybody else heard this?

That's pretty far out. Theft prevention features show up on some new cars nowadays, but back when these were built it was barely on OEMs' radar at all. We got steering locks somewhere in the 60's, Saab with their floor-mounted ignition switches made their trannies lock in reverse, but other than that provisions for antitheft were practically unheard-of.

No, as already explained the D+ wire is the field excitement circuit, it's been standard practice on vehicle alternators and generators ever since they were installed in cars. Sometimes an alternator will self-excite the field windings without it, but the D+ wire is there to guarantee that the field windings juice up so charging begins every time. Without it, it is hit or miss. It also conveniently allows for a reliable way to tell if the alternator is not charging because if the alternator stops producing current or the regulator fails the field winding will begin using current, which has to flow thru the warning bulb, so it glows.

Nope, antitheft is pretty fancy stuff; these are very basic vehicles. But the newest cars even with built-in security systems still use this same system to induce charging, and warn if it fails.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jptech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Alternator "Blues" Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Its pretty much all or nothing; KOEO - D+/61 = ~0 volts & KOER it = B+ volts. You may be seeing AC leakage due to diode damage. Switch your voltmeter from DC to AC and check the big red B+ & small blue D+ terminals to ground KOER. There should be NO AC voltage. (< 0.2 VAC)

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n2wheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

thanks guys for a great post.. started here, followed the steps and in the end one of the brushes barely touched the commutator anymore.. problem solved.. ordered a regulator for $60 off ebay today and even made a video... you guys rock!
'78 scirocco
'66 T2 panel dead tour vehicle, 'mr bus'
'67 13 window
'95 eurocamper 'charlie' (phish tour vehicle)
'03 Mk4 TDI 'steve'
'04 W8 Phaeton 'david'
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

n2wheelies wrote:
thanks guys for a great post.. started here, followed the steps and in the end one of the brushes barely touched the commutator anymore.. problem solved.. ordered a regulator for $60 off ebay today and even made a video... you guys rock!
. Been there,,, Embarassed Embarassed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

Most every alternator I know of if you rev the engine high enough [4k] the alternator will start charging. No blue wire needed.

I've personally had this problem but was too busy/lazy to fix it. Drove the car for weeks before I handled it.

If the alt light does glow, it's because the voltage is not the same across the bulb. Simple voltage drop test will determine where the voltage loss is.

Alternators have been around for a while and circuit 61 was not meant for theft.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

In VW boxer engines as well as many VW inline engines the alternator warning light also acts as an impending engine damage early warning light.

The pulley(s) and belt(s) that spin the alternator also spin the coolant pump.
Whatever causes the alternator light to come on may also mean the coolant pump isn't turning.
The driver should immediately check the belt(s) if the alternator light comes on when it shouldn't, to verify whether or not the coolant pump is affected.

Mark
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Most every alternator I know of if you rev the engine high enough [4k] the alternator will start charging. No blue wire needed.

I've personally had this problem but was too busy/lazy to fix it. Drove the car for weeks before I handled it.

If the alt light does glow, it's because the voltage is not the same across the bulb. Simple voltage drop test will determine where the voltage loss is.

Alternators have been around for a while and circuit 61 was not meant for theft.
What changes all of this is no more Exciter Circuit as you have known it for decades . Now you have a single wire still going to the Alternator, but it’s a Lin Bus communication wire from a module to the Alternator, which complicates diagnosing charging problems since other modules weigh in with charging system requests to the main module talking to the Alternator.
Long live the single exciter wire system!!!….the modern stuff is no fun to diagnose.. I feel like it’s Charging by Committee these days versus Exciter, output wire and ground in the old days Mad Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
Can someone give me a more detailed explanation of the light-gauge blue wire on the alternator?

yes. you ALWAYS cut the BLUE wire. wait! no, RED wire.

sorry, it had to be said.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue wire on alternator? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
stormforge wrote:
Can someone give me a more detailed explanation of the light-gauge blue wire on the alternator?

yes. you ALWAYS cut the BLUE wire. wait! no, RED wire.

sorry, it had to be said.
LOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: