Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you and LUCKY YOU! I've seen the tops in 'real' person and they are solid and everyone of the 9 I've seen have looked top quality and I'd buy one if I was thus inclinded.

Wait till you guys out west and out east get them! o la la. I've followed the other threads and even on the internet I think there is no comparison in quality, firmness, shape and solidity. These high tops are quality and WOW for the top hatches. (I'd like one but they are not condusive with a Riviera without A LOT of compensation/modification of the astec roof/ripple effect). I'd have bought the hatch (2 colors) for the Westy replacement for sure. More like a marine hatch than any RV hatch I've ever owned or seen!

I'm hoping that I get to watch the next one!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that looks awesome. I am going up to Johns this month to install mine. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Keith's. Looks GREAT. He's been a busy man!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luckypabst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40123&page=4
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith are you ever going to tell us about your new hightop? I'm sure you are taking your time to think about internal finishing but couldn't you share how it is going so far.? Did see your pic under a topic thread somewhere.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: hightop install Reply with quote

Install pictures have been posted on the website http://canadianhightops.ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a carat I would do this to, way cheaper then refurbing something else.
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get any pictures of the inside?
Thanks........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ x2 ^^^^^ way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Dancing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: hightop install Reply with quote

Less than 24 hours after I got the tops to my driveway we had install #1 completed on its way home.
Some pictures of some of the stages of the install - I'll add many more in a thorough install "gallery" once Keith sends me his pics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keith elected to not install the windows and vent at this time - maybe look for some openers, maybe a power vent - I think it's wise to "live" with the space/volume for a while prior to deciding how to use it. We put the platforms for the bed (aft) and front locker up in place during the install. Lots of fun decisions to be made now as to how to use the extra cubic feet - and there's a lot of them

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped into John's this am hoping to see the converted high top done yesterday but they took off yesterday, so I saw the others and the top hatches. I'm saying, no no no, be happy with what I have!!! Smile There are going to be some very happy people!!

Only saw the outside, looks like an inverter flat bottome boat sorta. Can't wait till they post the pics Applause
timber tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats excellent.

When you write it down or try to explain on the phone it sounds complicated but in reality it is in fact quite simple.

The worst bit is cutting the hole in the van roof ,measure twice and cut once.

Yes you now have loads of room up there John, there a big storage area at the front above the cab, and if you go the bed route you can get a 4ft x 6 ft bed 4ft x 4ft over rear with a 2ft x 4ft removable extension over the hole. Alternatively you have got a 4ft rear storage platform if you dont want or use the bed.

That is why they are popular over here, you have storage, if you want to stop on route for a coffee and some food you just get on with it no need to move your stuff around and pop the roof up.

One question I do get asked all the time is " Are they effected by the wind when driving" but in reality no they are no different to the normal drive.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: top Reply with quote

However difficult or not it might have been, Keith K. and I sorted it out today - less than 24 hours after I unloaded the huge crate with the tops in it, the first installation was complete. Keith was great to work with, the top looks really great - better in "the flesh" than in pictures even. There is also more space in it than I thought. From floor to ceiling inside is 82" or 6' 10". Lots of really nice space and volume.
Pictures will be added to here and the website soon. Both Keith and I took quite a few, once he emails them to me, I'll assemble a representative sequence for the website and a few for here on Samba.
Special thanks to Dave of Timbertech who outlined the process principles thoroughly and left us to figure out the details. We did it better because we were thinking.
JC
timber tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been a learning curve for us, this export has had its problems, but thats all behind us now.

If you need any help or instruction John give me a shout.
The engineless van I have here might have an engine later today so it will be getting its hightop soon. A step by step photo session may be in order so folks can see that its not a difficult job to cut the roof and fit the top on. Cool

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: tops Reply with quote

GOT THEM - yeah I've got this jeezly big crate in my driveway - opened it partially to take a look and they look great. Pictures tomorrow - first install tomorrow - its been 6 long months since I started on this project - it will all be worth it if the tops help people enjoy their vans to the fullest and we get to keep more and more of them on the road.
Some stats:
1. In Europe diesel vanagons and vanagon campers of all ilks outsold gassers 3:1
2. In Europe 5 speed tranny's outsold 4 speeds by a large margin
3. In Europe about 60% of all vans used for camping/travelling have hightops.
We never got later model diesels, we never got 5 speeds and we had very limited availablity of hightops.
I'm installing VW TD's, and TDI's in vans, bringing in some 5 speed tranny's (gearboxes) from Germany and high tops from the U.K.
There is no reason why we should not have the opportunity to enjoy decent fuel consumption and the advantages of clutter free travelling as well.
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo!!!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that they are at John's now. Last I talked to him today a truck was following him home!!! WOW bet a bunch of you are even more excited now that it is here!!!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: tops Reply with quote

Yes - the ship has landed, unloaded, the crate has been trucked to Toronto and is waiting on the warehouse floor for me to clear it through customs and pick it up tomorrow. I'll be there as soon as they open. I would have picked it up today,but today is a national holiday - Canada Day and we spent a great day together as a family - waterfront, tall ships, took our westy and popped the top to watch fireworks in real comfort.
First install is Saturday - I'm sure that we'll take lots of pictures.
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the ship has landed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 63 of 72

Jump to: