Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Love the install, very clean. I love that the little rascal can bounce of the walls in there. Thats a happy hound. Nice Job!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

[quote="mpabegg"]
Energy Concepts wrote:
Streamline Audio had a pipe type
rack / wall support system I saw in one of their installs.
It left a "luggage rack: up above
instead of a upper bed.
It was quite nice to have a open concept look ! Very Happy
Thanks !

Not sure, but you may be referring to my install. Although, it was not done by Streamline Audio. I used Aluminum L-Track and it has held up great. We have taken the van on some pretty serious trails and abused the heck out of it. We even lived out of the van for a year. I did the install April of 2014. I made it so the entire framework can be removed and changed if/when I wanted something different. The interior has morphed from a Carat style to full westy and now in the process of removing some of the westy cabinets to fit the full width bed again.

Hi mpabegg,
That Looks Great !
My 91 Started out as a Carat as well.
I have removed the plastic panels and installed GL panels.
The Full width bed was one reason for doing this, but also the Carat folding table
was in the way of my Westy type 3 X 2 ft cabinet.
A Full width Seat / Bed. Along with a ton of sound proofing and insulation.
I also removed the rear AC. I wanted the open feeling and the head room!
I will have a Vintage Air in-dash heater/ AC system
and TK's type window AC for when we're stopped and camping.

Your System is very similar to what I saw
Justin at Streamline do for one of the local Battle Ground, WA Vans.

It now resides in the San Fran area (I believe )
So it was not available to me to take a closer 2nd look.

Looking at yours, I'm very impressed that it looks and feels
more open!
And I like that you have made it removable.

What did you have to do to the body?
Are there brackets welded to the top uniframe?

Thanks !
John C...

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The larger roof cut conversion that is pictured above certainly does "open up" the van.
However, before folks considering a hightop get too excited there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
1. Removing the large section of the roof as in the above post, removes a structural roof member (the roof rib over the c column)from the van (tintop). In a factory westy that roof rib is replaced by a lateral brace that serves to replace the roof rib and to act as the front support for the bed platform.
2. If the roof rib is removed, it should be replaced by some other lateral bracing. The weight of the sliding door is hanging off the van by the c column. If not laterally braced somehow the van will tend to "splay out" if the roof rib over the C column is removed and not replaced.
Justin did do a "larger cut" install while he was with Streamline - he had very nice cross braces fabricated, one for (approximately) over the C column and another for over the B column (it was a really big roof cut) . I remember him telling me at the time that when the roof rib over the C column was removed that the splaying out as immediately obvious and that when the roof rib over the B column was cut that the van sides tended to move inwards. His brace to replace the C column roof rib fabricated to hold the sides together, the one over the B column was intended to keep the sides from moving inward.

Removing structural members of the van is something that (IMHO) should be done by a van owner on their own van. I would be hesitant to do it for an install for someone else - they are STRUCTURAL members. Having said that however, I will be doing a "large cut" opening on my personal van for myself. I will be dropping the upper rear platform (bed platform) down to just above window level and fabricating a set of brackets to support a lateral brace which will support the front of the bed platform and serve as a lateral brace as well. I'll probably shorten the bed platform and locate the lateral brace about 8-10" aft of the current roof rib so that the bed platform isn't too much of a head banger when standing up from sitting on the rear seat. In any case, I'll be leaving the roof rib over the C column in place until I have the lateral brace to replace it securely in place, that way I'll know that there will be no "splaying" out of the van sides when I remove the roof rib.

On another note - production is back on track for our next shipment of tops slated to get on the road about 3rd week of March Tentatively - 3 tops Odessa Tx, 4 Boise Id, 7 Garberville Ca, 7 kennewick Wa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I can't afford a real hightop at the time so I came up with my own look alike.

What do you think?

Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Update: I found a picture of the bus
with the Open Concept Pipe Reinforcement system.
If you have pictures of the interior you'd like to share
that would be nice ! Smile

Streamline Audio had a pipe type
rack / wall support system I saw in one of their installs.

It left a "luggage rack: up above
instead of a upper bed.

It was quite nice to have a open concept look ! Smile

I could have missed the info on this Topic
as there are now 50+ pages Shocked

But does anyone know of this system,
how it works out &
any pictures / links ?

Thanks !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The AW top conversion pictured was done by Justin Hall when he was with Streamline Audio. Justin had a fabricator make up 2 really nice aluminum welded cross braces, one for (approximately) over the C column and one for over the B column (they removed a great deal of the forward roof as well). I remember that the braces looked like works of art - unfortunately they are not visible now as they are integrated into the support of the rear and fore platforms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
The AW top conversion pictured was done by Justin Hall when he was with Streamline Audio. Justin had a fabricator make up 2 really nice aluminum welded cross braces, one for (approximately) over the C column and one for over the B column (they removed a great deal of the forward roof as well). I remember that the braces looked like works of art - unfortunately they are not visible now as they are integrated into the support of the rear and fore platforms.

Super Nice Van !
And it went together Fast !!! Shocked

Well, I guess if it now has a solid ceiling / bunk floor,
they must not have particularly cared for the open spaced bars?
& It looks like I (might as well go with wood as well ... Confused

Believe it or not, (and my engine / transmission
marathon took forever on this one,
I'm ready to cut ties with the tin top world Very Happy

Thanks !
John C...

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Also, bought this air caulk gun.

Then Confused read the post that says they may not mix the epoxy?

Does this one fall into that category ?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

If you are using the Maxim 2 part epoxy, do not use that air powered gun. The 2 parts of the Maxim are in separate "bags" in the tube. They are of different viscosities - i.e. the resin and the "hardener" . That gun works by applying air pressure into a chamber that puts pressure on the contents of the chamber forcing them out the end of the caulking tube - HOWEVER - if there are two components that are supposed to squeeze out equally into a mixing tip, the "runnier" least viscous of the 2 will squeeze out first and you will not get a proper mix in the mixing tip.
Use ONLY a gun that has a mechanical plunger that will compress each bag equally as it moves up the cylinder.
The gun you have is great for single component material - fine to use it for the Sikaflex or Tiger Seal but DO NOT use it with the 2 part Maxim.

Ryobi, Milwaukee and DeWalt all make cordless plunger type power caulking guns. I found the Ryobi too "light" for the job and i bought it because I already had batteries and charger etc - I'm now waiting for the DeWalt to come on sale somewhere.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
If you are using the Maxim 2 part epoxy, do not use that air powered gun. The 2 parts of the Maxim are in separate "bags" in the tube. They are of different viscosities - i.e. the resin and the "hardener" . That gun works by applying air pressure into a chamber that puts pressure on the contents of the chamber forcing them out the end of the caulking tube - HOWEVER - if there are two components that are supposed to squeeze out equally into a mixing tip, the "runnier" least viscous of the 2 will squeeze out first and you will not get a proper mix in the mixing tip.
Use ONLY a gun that has a mechanical plunger that will compress each bag equally as it moves up the cylinder.
The gun you have is great for single component material - fine to use it for the Sikaflex or Tiger Seal but DO NOT use it with the 2 part Maxim.

Ryobi, Milwaukee and DeWalt all make cordless plunger type power caulking guns. I found the Ryobi too "light" for the job and i bought it because I already had batteries and charger etc - I'm now waiting for the DeWalt to come on sale somewhere.

Thank you so much for your information John !
I'll check out the DeWalt ! Surprised

So, is it 4 tubes each then of
Epoxy and Sealant?
4 tubes of: 2 part Maxim
and, (I'm a little confused here)
Is it Sikaflex or Tiger Seal ?
And, is it 4 tubes of one of those?

Thanks for your Help !!! Very Happy
You da Man !!! Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Three (3) tubes of the Maxim (medium set) 2 part epoxy and 3 or 4 tubes of either Sikaflex or Tiger Seal - (make sure its white) Local availability will determine if you use Sikaflex or Tiger Seal - eg. I can't find Sikaflex around here but Tiger Seal is readily available.
The Medium set will give you about 30 minutes working time - enough to get everything done but you still have to have "your ducks in a row" - i.e. everything set up and planned out ahead of time to the extent of even practising your clamp up procedure
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Three (3) tubes of the Maxim (medium set) 2 part epoxy and 3 or 4 tubes of either Sikaflex or Tiger Seal - (make sure its white) Local availability will determine if you use Sikaflex or Tiger Seal - eg. I can't find Sikaflex around here but Tiger Seal is readily available.
The Medium set will give you about 30 minutes working time - enough to get everything done but you still have to have "your ducks in a row" - i.e. everything set up and planned out ahead of time to the extent of even practising your clamp up procedure

Thanks John !!! Very Happy
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

WedgeAntillies wrote:
I can't afford a real hightop at the time so I came up with my own look alike.

What do you think?

I think I love the idea of sitting at the table doing a bit of model-making and allowing my brain to become fully immersed in the activity. I also like your model!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

All dressed up with everywhere to go. Very nice conversion done winter 2017 in Alberta Canada

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
All dressed up with everywhere to go. Very nice conversion done winter 2017 in Alberta Canada

Brrrrrr!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
finboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:

Do you know where in Alberta this is? Would love to check one of these tops out in person some time.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

finboy wrote:
J Charlton wrote:

Do you know where in Alberta this is? Would love to check one of these tops out in person some time.

I get requests such as this pretty frequently and frankly, the best way to "experience" the space that a hightop gives one, is to stand up in one. However, I'm reluctant to give out the email / contact info without explicit permission to do so. Here's the protocol I follow:
If you're interested in seeing a van with one of our hightops in person and "on the road":
1. Email me with your location and contact information
2. I'll forward your information to someone who has a top installed and is as close to you as possible.
3. It will be up to the van owner, having received the contact information, to contact you and potentially set up a time and place for you to take a look.
finboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Cheers! I engaged the owner through the above steps, and small world, he lives about a km from me Laughing

Definitely interested in checking out what they look like in person, the girlfriend isn't a fan of sharing then we with 2 large dogs, which is pretty much our current setup.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Our fabricator, Terry, and I spent Saturday building a skid, then a saddle for tops to be shipped on. The pic below shows 22 tops in a stack, ready for crating

Big crate - weight of all tops and crate about 2300lbs. A long and tiring day for the two of us.

Crate should be picked up Tues or Wed next week and in Kennewick about a week later.

Keep yer stick on the ice!!!
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

That's an impressive stack of tops, John!
Non stop in the True North.

Got my stick in the waves.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 72

Jump to: