Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Dave, those cabs and bulkhead look so good, love those rolling shutters.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
Dave, those cabs and bulkhead look so good, love those rolling shutters.

Here is the final cabinet in that set.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Field of Dreams ` 30 NAHT hightops ready for skidding and shipping

Building a skid for them tomorrow then calling for pickup on Tuesday - this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving

30 tops seems to be a lot, but when distributed amongst 4 installer/distributors its really not many per area. With about half of them reserved with deposits, I don't think the supply will last long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Nicely done.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

It's nice to see more NAHTs heading out. They'll probably be snapped up quickly.

Reminds me of this photo from the Bostig site...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The latest on the road. Nice install from Texas October 2020

30 tops heading west - nice pic with an untopped westy in background

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Spent the morning yesterday finishing up the skid and box for windows for shipping the stack of tops West. We made most of it last weekend but with pickup scheduled for the 19th (late) or the 20th (early) we decided to re-engineer the section for the windows and finish it Saturday

Skid and saddle for tops in progress

I felt lucky to have my son Sean along to help - he's in his final year High School and bummed out because all sports have been cancelled - he was the starting QB and set to have a good season - nevertheless, he's getting some good carpentry and problem solving skills to balance off all the maths and physics he needs for University. The kid and the skid

All buttoned up and ready to load

I'm going to be real happy to see this load of tops on their way west. This is the first shipment to the west west in 2 years
My advice to folks - if you want one, don't delay.
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Since this thread contains all things NAHT hightop beta I wanted to contribute my recent success fabricating a roof rack.

Full thread on the build hyperlinked below. Long live the NAHT!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

First : Really nice job on that rack BCgee !! Well done!! I'm choosing my words carefully here - one has to be really careful who one says "nice rack" to.

On another note - no one is happier than I to see the pics below

This production of this set of tops was fraught with covid related demons from the very beginning - almost every possible delay that could affect the production came into play and never in a logical sequence.
Nevertheless, I'm very excited, happy to finally see the load on the truck and to have it headed West.

JC
North American Hightops
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Looking great John.

Interesting that after recent camping trips in the NAHT euro bus project and now just having returned from a 2.5 week trip in the '87 westy bringing it home to MD from San Diego.... I really want to convert the '87 westy to a NAHT. And I think my wife is on board too. (But I'll need to see if I can put in a 9 foot garage door....)

The Western Syncro build
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Looking great John.

Interesting that after recent camping trips in the NAHT euro bus project and now just having returned from a 2.5 week trip in the '87 westy bringing it home to MD from San Diego.... I really want to convert the '87 westy to a NAHT. And I think my wife is on board too. (But I'll need to see if I can put in a 9 foot garage door....)

^^ This is very interesting Dave. Thanks for the comment and that peaks my curiosity for my westy. Maybe Jim (jimf909) is onto something Laughing

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
I took advantage of the long weekend over the Labor Day holiday and drove to Johnson City TN from deep east TX to pick up a NAHT top.

I helped move that top from Nashville to JC. I thought about buying it off Jeff...but I want an engine conversion to happen first.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Looking great John.

I was surprised this past summer to see how easily a neighbour up in our cottage area was able to lift an existing garage, and add 4 courses of 8" cement block to his stick frame garage foundation. His door went from 7' to almost 10'
Actually a very quick and easy job.
I'm now "eyeing" our northern garage as well - I want to use a cassettte style garage door though so as not to take up the ceiling of the garage with the door when it is open.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Fortunately I already have 10 foot interior height on the garage. I need to move the header above the garage door up. Should be doable.

The Western Syncro build
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

^^ This is very interesting Dave. Thanks for the comment and that peaks my curiosity for my westy. Maybe Jim (jimf909) is onto something Laughing

It's 6:30 am in northern Idaho, 30 degrees F outside, we had our first snow last night and I'm typing this from my COVID office in the van where it's 74 degrees and dry inside (AC heat with 120 from the cabin) and there's hot water on the stove. I hadn't imagined this van would become my WFH office but it has and the high-top makes it a comfortable possibility in the winter (I'll check back when it's 15 degrees outside Shocked ). It also makes a pretty good camping rig.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Looking great John.

Yeah, me too. Sad

I thought going with 8x9 doors, which are already oversized, was going to be plenty of space. Now I wish I had gone with 9x9. I don't think it's viable for me to change the garage though. The 32x2 clerestory window takes up the space.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I hadn't imagined this van would become my WFH office but it has and the high-top makes it a comfortable possibility in the winter (I'll check back when it's 15 degrees outside Shocked ).

Sub-20 degrees last winter, home office. With my CDH and window coverings, I kept it around 65 degrees:

Ron showed me his simple and brilliant upper window covers out in Moab a few weeks ago. I plan on making a couple to insulate up top.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The tops have landed - pics of the guys at URABUS in Buena Vista Colorado where they successfully unloaded the mega skid of windows and tops from the flat bed transport truck to the trailer they'll be using to distribute the tops to the rest of the West

Way to go brothers Buschmann!!! There'll soon be 30 more NAHT hightopped vans on the road !
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The Urabus gang appears to be the best. Their IG feed is so much fun because they've got such a great love for VWs and they have tons of fun in the shop. Glad to see they're part of this action.

[/url]

Abscate wrote:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The first of the 30 tops shipped west was picked up less than 24 hours after arriving in Buena Vista co.

Top strapped to the van for transport to Texas for installation.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I'm using this pic from BCgee to try to make a couple of points
1. Very very nice job of fabricating the racking - very well done!!! See more of it at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744845

2. I suggest - strongly - that you consider using the back panel of the hightop to mount some tail lights, turn and brake lights and a dedicated (big) brake light bar

The tail lights on a vanagon are ridiculously small and ridiculously located - they are virtually unnoticeable from the rear at the best of times - with all of your gear on the rear you're likely to get rear ended by some pinhead millenial texting on their phone but who will blame the poor lighting for their lack of judgement. Lots of good stuff out there at Harbor Freight (Princess Auto in Canada) - put lots of it up there and be safe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 72

Jump to: