Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Yes - the molting is a little known characteristic of the NAHT. It is not unlike the breeding characteristic of the vanagon/westy - once you have one, all of a sudden there are 3 in your driveway
With the dobryan hightop armada soon to go intercontinental and coast to coast in the US I'm sure that other here to for unknown characteristics will reveal themselves also.

Shall we arm ourselves against this well publicized attempted coup?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
J Charlton wrote:
Yes - the molting is a little known characteristic of the NAHT. It is not unlike the breeding characteristic of the vanagon/westy - once you have one, all of a sudden there are 3 in your driveway
With the dobryan hightop armada soon to go intercontinental and coast to coast in the US I'm sure that other here to for unknown characteristics will reveal themselves also.

Shall we arm ourselves against this well publicized attempted coup?

Dave

Naw – rather than “arming against” let’s all open our arms, play Aquarius, channel the inner 60’s in all of us and learn to embrace a world and society of equity, fairness and understanding. Can’t remember the exact phraseology but its something such as “if one person does it, he’s a rebel – if two people do it, it’s a conspiracy, but if three people do it, it’s a movement …………
Lets hope that there’s room on a hightop for a small, discrete flower decal – maybe even a small discrete peace symbol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Can’t remember the exact phraseology but its something such as “if one person does it, he’s a rebel – if two people do it, it’s a conspiracy, but if three people do it, it’s a movement …………

I believe that was Arlo Guthrie from Alice's Restaurant.... or something like that.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

"........with a three-part harmony......."
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
J Charlton wrote:
Can’t remember the exact phraseology but its something such as “if one person does it, he’s a rebel – if two people do it, it’s a conspiracy, but if three people do it, it’s a movement …………

I believe that was Arlo Guthrie from Alice's Restaurant.... or something like that.

Sure was or is from Alice's Restaurant - a secret ambition of mine has been to go to the open mike pub night at BusFusion sometime - where you're welcome to perform 1 song - unleash the venerable 12 string and launch into a 20 minute locally adapted version of Alice's Restaurant
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
dobryan wrote:
J Charlton wrote:

Sure was or is from Alice's Restaurant - a secret ambition of mine has been to go to the open mike pub night at BusFusion sometime - where you're welcome to perform 1 song - unleash the venerable 12 string and launch into a 20 minute locally adapted version of Alice's Restaurant
Awesome, John - be sure to film it!!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Latest hightop install on the road. The P & D ex westy van below had an NAHT installed on it by Terry in Lakefield Ontario on the weekend. Terry is also the fabricator of the NAHT hightops and will now be offering a full range of installation services as well.

Very very nice install

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I keep getting inquiries and suggestions that I post updates on Samba wrt the NAHT hightops and their availability.

In Feb 2019, just before the pandemic began to shut everything down we delivered 12 tops to Staunton Va. The 12 tops were further re-distributed to Mass and Florida. Of the 12, 2 remain unsold in Florida. We plan to be able to re-supply the East , Mass, Va and Florida late fall /early winter 2021

Pandemic pandemonium really screwed up our plans to re-supply the west. There were delays of material deliveries, illnesses and just an overall very difficult time to plan and build tops. Material costs also shot up. I had initially created a 2 tier production/post production pricing schedule but the pandemic and all of its repercussions so screwed up production schedules that I scrapped it and reverted to the lower of the two - the "production price" for all.
Nevertheless,Terry, our fabricator managed to make 30 tops which we shipped west in late fall 2020. Of the 30 tops that went West, 2 remain available in Buena Vista Co, 2 in Salt Lake City and 1 just became available (again) in Bend Oregon. Our current thinking is to plan to ship about 20-25 tops West to re-supply in early 2022. A price increase of $200-$300 for the NAHT top and window set is pretty much inevitable - the two tier pricing of the previous shipment was, in part, supposed to address the increased materials costs but the tops still available in Florida, Colorado, SLC and Bend are the last that will available at the current price.

Our installer/distributor in Bend Oregon is Kevin Gratton of VWDaySpa. Kevin was originally located in Sebastopol Ca, then Sacramento Ca before locating in Bend. Kevin has served California NAHT clients through mobile installs for several years. However, he has since grown his business by supplying Hot water systems for vans and custom solar panel installations. As his business has grown he has found it increasingly difficult to continue to do mobile installs and will cease to do so once his current commitments are fulfilled.

I am now looking for an installer/distributor in the mid to SoCal area and i would be glad for references from folks out there or to hear from an interested shop.

Installers have been busy with installs having occurred in June in Colorado, Bend and Kennewick Wa. As well there have been numerous DIY installs that I have been supporting taking place from Minnesota to San Diego.

If anyone wants to hear unsolicited opinions / thoughts about having an NAHT on their van, i suggest that they read all of page 59 of this thread "New Hightop Option" here on Samba

I welcome any questions as always.

J C
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Would be interested in a SoCal install if/when someone steps up.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I've heard that there will be new Coast Mountain (Getaway) hightops being made in the PNW soon.

I have one and love it over my old pop top.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I really like that back window. Has anybody added anything similar to an NAHT?

EDIT: Answered my own question. I would love to have a window similar to this that could be opened outward/upward.

As it turns out, I'm a bit claustrophobic when up top and this would really open things up (and give me an escape hatch?)

https://westfaliasforsale.com/1987-vanagon-syncro-high-top-32k-in-portland-oregon/

Further answering my own question...an RV exit window:

https://www.recpro.com/rv-exit-window-30w-x-22h-optional-trim/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Re a window in the back of an NAHY - Several folks have sourced and put a window in that back panel. A couple of others have put marine hatches there to be able to slide long objects in - surfboards. The issue with a rear opening window or hatch that has to be considered is that it is a long way `back there` to access it to lock it. Other than that, there is no drawback to putting one in - a matter of personal choice. I think that CR Laurence has a number of van windows that could be used.
eg.
https://www.crlaurence.ca/crlapps/showline/offerpa...&pom=0

also = pretty sure that you would have to make sure the rear window was closed while driving.

Last edited by J Charlton on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:43 am; edited 4 times in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

If I used the attic as a bunk I would absolutely add a rear hatch/window. I sleep downstairs with my head to the hatch and I love waking up and looking at the sky or trees through the hatch window.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I totally want a rear window for my hightop (reimo not NAHT). Anyone want to share a link with ones they have used?
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

https://www.dometic.com/en-pl/outdoor/pl/products/...s4-_-24668

Dometic S4, has a pull down shade and pull up bugscreen, double pane window.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The new old hightop - new option!

Why "new old"? Because the Coast Mountain Hightops are based on the older Get-away hightops. Except that we are using a new mould as Get-away destroyed the original ones long ago.

I have decided to keep the original name for these tops as I quite liked the ring of "Coast Mountain Hightops".
Our first production run is underway and the first batch of tops will be ready next week. There are currently still a few available but there has been much interest so half of them are already sold.

Website to come soon, for now we just have a Facebook page for the business. https://www.facebook.com/t3hightops

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 778-908-9339

Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Geez, major bump. Maybe try start your own topic.
I
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
I

I was debating it or wondering if the mods would just merge the two😁
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
I

The title is for hightops and there have been discussions about this and other brands in the past. A thread dedicated to the distribution and availability of a single manufacturer is hardly a thread as much as advertising.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Agreed.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 67 of 72

Jump to: