Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Latest NAHT to hit the road. This conversion by Tim H. This is his second hightop conversion,the first was an AW top, this time an NAHT.
Nice job of the bulkhead and interior.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Apparently there were 6 NAHT's and 3 AW's at Descend on Bend last weekend - all staying warm and dry in some nasty weather.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Pop-top...

...to no-top

... to (be continued)

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
larss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Hi.
Does anyone know what type of roof is that? Preowner said that this was built in France but I cannot find any info and photos of that.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The Fall 2016 run ofNAHT tops is now underway. Unseasonably humid late summer/ early fall weather and dialing in some new equipment delayed the start of the run but it is now in "full swing"

Some pics of the first top of the run

Last edited by J Charlton on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kernewek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

larss wrote:
Hi.
Does anyone know what type of roof is that? Preowner said that this was built in France but I cannot find any info and photos of that.

It could be a Font Vendome roof? You would probably more information at t3zone.fr

Craig
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Welp... the point of no return Very Happy

Kevin giving Krusty a haircut... basic cut, runners and install. Will have windows and a Fan-Tastic power vent.

I will have a slightly smaller opening, with a bigger storage area over the drivers compartment... due to my overhead/front AC system... getting happy feels now Smile

1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Before gluing... hopefully this weekend I can do the insulation. Happy camper... literally Very Happy

Better pictures later... will update my Krusty thread
1967 Bug- Gone
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Wack-a-Mole time

[/b]
1967 Bug- Gone
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:

Before gluing... hopefully this weekend I can do the insulation. Happy camper... literally Very Happy

looking good
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
[/URL]

Neato! Looking forward to seeing more!

Krusty thread for reference...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8203376

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Wack-a-Mole time

[/b]

Before you start installing insulation - I'm assuming that you're going to use contact cement - wire up your vent, even on a temporary basis and get it running. Otherwise you're going to have a truly mind altering experience putting the insulation in - likewise for the finish material
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Im curious what size solar panel people are running on the back luggage rack. Im not near the van right now to measure, otherwise I would measure but I have seen several that look like they fit pretty well.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The measurements of that flat part at the rear of the NAHT are:
Side to side 35" rear to front 24"
I've seen some 85w panels that fit nicely.
J
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Im leaning away from adding the panel to the top of my naht. Right now we are using a 48w portable system that should extend our aux battery by about two days. Giving us 4-5 days between recharges. having the panel attached limits being able to get max sun exposure unless you reposition the van. Just my 2 cents.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

tates1882 wrote:
Im leaning away from adding the panel to the top of my naht. Right now we are using a 48w portable system that should extend our aux battery by about two days. Giving us 4-5 days between recharges. having the panel attached limits being able to get max sun exposure unless you reposition the van. Just my 2 cents.

A panel sitting in the van collects no power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I like the idea of having a about a 100w flexible solar panel because of its size and light weight. Here's how I'd deploy it. First I'd simply stow it flat in the rear storage area of the hightop. Then, on arrival for camping, park the van facing East. In the evening, drape the flexible solar panel over the windshield of the van. As soon as the sun rises, it will begin to produce current. Later on - eg. mid morning, move the panel - maybe drape it from the window of the hightop onto your awning - as its now facing South and because it isn't at a horizontal orientation it will be producing current at a higher rate than a similar panel in a "flat" position. Later in the day, move the panel to the South West corner of the van.
Because the panel is lightweight, moving it isn't onerous and it wouldn't take long for anyone to sort out quick and easy ways to hang the panel.

All solar panels are rated for their output when in direct sunlight - that means the sun's rays are hitting the panel at a 90deg angle. Any deviation of that "direct" orientation means a reduction in available energy to the panel of about 1.1% per degree of deviation of the sun from zenith
Eg a 100w panel mounted flat on a van at the equator, at noon on Sept 22 will have the sun at 90deg to the panel and will be producing maximum power. However, one hour later the sun has moved 15deg from its zenith and the output of the panel will now max out at 100 - 15X 1.1 or 83.5% of 100 watts
Point is, the more you can have your panel oriented as close as possible to having the sun's rays strike it at 90deg. the closer your panel will be to having an output close to the rating of your panel.

Ain't physics Phun ??

Last edited by J Charlton on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

our solar system was installed by norcal NAHT installer kevin, and he fitted an 85w panel in the spot in back that is the perfect size. but then he couldn't find the source for the panel again. so below is a shot of the sticker on the back, might be useful if you're trying to find this panel.

my take, with this panel installed, is that your best option is both the mounted and a detachable, unmounted panel. the 85w isn't enough to keep up with multiple days while camping, but it does keep the battery charged and deals well with a day's worth of use. i'm just gonna mount a socket on the side, switch to an MPPT controller and get a flexi 100w to supplement. won't have to find a place to mount it and it can be moved to follow the little amount of sun we get up here.

TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I've spent hours trying to find the max wattage solar panel that will fit on the back 'luggage rack' on the NAHT, this is the best I can find. The 80W 12v BACK contact version on this auction. 34.6" x 21.3". The sizing is right, but there are no grommets built in to conveniently mount it in a removable frame, and the wiring/box is on the backside, avoiding a completely flush mount onto the NAHT. I'll probably weld/paint a simple steel frame which I'll sikaflex to the top, and figure out a way to secure the panel to that in some easily removeable way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401160433332?_trksid=p2060...EBIDX%3AIT

I must say, this is the only drawback I have been able to muster with my NAHT. To think of an adventurewagon/pop top's flat surface and the ability to put whatever solar array you wish, easily 200 watts at that, with inexpensive panels, is definitely something I am envious of.

Otherwise though, my NAHT has been an absolute joy. More info/pics to come with my build.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

The panel mentioned above appears to be available here (no affiliation)

http://www.mrsolar.com/solartech-stp085p-tss-85w-12v-solar-panel/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 72

Jump to: