Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
our solar system was installed by norcal NAHT installer kevin, and he fitted an 85w panel in the spot in back that is the perfect size. but then he couldn't find the source for the panel again.

It's true, it was a company in the SW, they must have discontinued that size. I don't believe I've called them about it though.

So far, I think I'm going 4 30w flexible panels- I like the look of two on the front where the hightop begins angleing downward. Breaks up that space a bit...
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

What attachment methods do y'all plan to use?

I'm thinking of gluing two channels that accept t-nuts and screwing the panels to the nuts.

My primary concern about gluing the panel directly to th top is that it'll be a pain to remove if/when the panel fails or becomes outdated.

Also, thanks for pointing out the 80 watt panels.

Finally, I agree that a smaller panel always in-place will keep the battery charged with zero attention. I plan to use my current 100 watt flexible panel as an aux power source that I can position where needed, when needed.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Pop-top...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...to no-top

... to (be continued)

To high-top...(can't wait to meet it!)

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Love it! Can't wait to see interior pics. Will you have a top bunk or just storage?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I've waffled on that. It was originally intended to be 100% storage with a bulkhead but after seeing a van with a bunk in place, I left it open and will try the bunk out. I'll bet I still use it as storage though.

Abscate wrote:

J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

First 6 hightops of the fall 2016 production run heading South in the back of Adrian's truck. 4 of the tops to Virginia, 2 to Nashville for installs or distribution.

The next 20 will be heading west late December.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

We're in the last couple of days of our 3 weeks on Big Island Hawaii. My two sons and I arrived Dec 19 and leave tomorrow, my wife joined us on the 24th and flew back on the 7th. For 2 weeks the 4 of us roamed all over the island - literally - in our hightopped diesel vanagon. I believe in hightops even more than I ever did and appreciate even more the space and versatility they add to a vanagon.
We got into a routine of having everything except the camp stove and 2 plastic containers filled with cooking and eating necessities and a water container stowed up in the top leaving the entire cabin free and clear for the boys - they're 15 and 13, growing like weeds with feet the size of small boats so they need the space. Driving around and enjoying the drive was great. We got our routine for setting up for sleeping so finely tuned that we can do it in less than 5 min with nothing left outside the van to indicate that there was anyone inside and slept great
Sunset here is about 6:15 so we always tried to. E set for the night before that even if it meant moving a mile or two after dark to a sleeping spot.
We kept all of our food in a cooler, buying ice every second day or three when we bought food - boys EAT!!!
It's been a great trip - we've met lots of local Hawaiian as we moved around and camped, lots of cultural activities that largely go unseen by tourists. I can't imagine a Hawaiian vacation in an "all inclusive" resort and not having our experiences. And I know that we would have been at each other's throats were it not for the uncluttered interior space that the hightop enabled us to have.
I'll post pics etc when I get home I haven't figured out how to do that from my phone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I meant to post lots of pictures earlier - however - it seems that the OS on my computer was so far out of date that I could no longer move pics fro my iphone to my computer to upload to Samba to post. So after a 24 hour OS upgrade I can now view all of my Hawaii pics on my computer but other than this 1 pic that I cannot remember how I did it, do not seem to be able to get the group of pics from Hawaii onto my computer so that I can select individual pics to upload and post to Samba.
If anyone has some insights into the convoluted passage way of pics from iphone to icloud to imac, I'd appreciate it

Anyway, here's the one pic I did manage to somehow move

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

John, I can easily upload pics from my iphone to the samba. Get on the samba website from your phone and use the gallery add photo function. When you get to the part to choose the photos to add you should be able to browse and see the pics on your phone and choose them. At least that works for me. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
John, I can easily upload pics from my iphone to the samba. Get on the samba website from your phone and use the gallery add photo function. When you get to the part to choose the photos to add you should be able to browse and see the pics on your phone and choose them. At least that works for me. 😀

Johns phone is canadian, uses metric system therefore cannot upload Laughing
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Johns phone is canadian, uses metric system therefore cannot upload Laughing

LOL!

And the megabit exchange rate is killer to US megabits...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

^^^ 😆

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
I meant to post lots of pictures earlier - however - it seems that the OS on my computer was so far out of date that I could no longer move pics fro my iphone to my computer to upload to Samba to post. So after a 24 hour OS upgrade I can now view all of my Hawaii pics on my computer but other than this 1 pic that I cannot remember how I did it, do not seem to be able to get the group of pics from Hawaii onto my computer so that I can select individual pics to upload and post to Samba.
If anyone has some insights into the convoluted passage way of pics from iphone to icloud to imac, I'd appreciate it

Anyway, here's the one pic I did manage to somehow move

Hold the ctrl key down and select multi pics at once. I normally move my pics out of iPhoto to another folder on the desktop.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Or to select a range of pics click the first, then hold the shift key down while clicking the last pic in the range.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

OK some other pics:

Thanks to all for their helpful suggestions - the problem was the result of having to convert inches to millimetres to grams to ml to pounds to kilopascals to watts to joules to UKpounds to Imperial gallons to litres to hectares to light years to Canadian Dollars. Think I got it figured out though - sorta.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Great pics! Looks like a great trip.

Also, nice work on organizing gear and food for four. My van has always been a two person van and I have no idea where two more people plus their stuff would go.

Abscate wrote:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Great pics! Looks like a great trip.

Also, nice work on organizing gear and food for four. My van has always been a two person van and I have no idea where two more people plus their stuff would go.

Well, it was Hawaii - thin sleeping bags and very little clothing. Limited everyone to carry on luggage - 2 backpacks, 1 small bag. As well, we shopped for food every 2 or 3 days - used a cooler with ice - worked really well. ! cooler for food, another smaller one for beer and soft drinks. We also carried around a boogie board for body surfing. It was important to stow everything soft and the tents, camp chairs, air mattresses etc "upstairs" and leave the main cabin uncluttered for it to all work and all of us to remain (relatively) sane.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Update: I found a picture of the bus
with the Open Concept Pipe Reinforcement system.
If you have pictures of the interior you'd like to share
that would be nice ! Very Happy

Streamline Audio had a pipe type
rack / wall support system I saw in one of their installs.

It left a "luggage rack: up above
instead of a upper bed.

It was quite nice to have a open concept look ! Very Happy

I could have missed the info on this Topic
as there are now 50+ pages Shocked

But does anyone know of this system,
how it works out &
any pictures / links ?

Thanks !

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
...the problem was the result of having to convert inches to millimetres to grams to ml to pounds to kilopascals to watts to joules to UKpounds to Imperial gallons to litres to hectares to light years to Canadian Dollars. Think I got it figured out though - sorta.

You're lucky you skipped the furlongs-per-fortnight debacle.

Nice trip!
mpabegg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Energy Concepts wrote:
Streamline Audio had a pipe type
rack / wall support system I saw in one of their installs.

It left a "luggage rack: up above
instead of a upper bed.

It was quite nice to have a open concept look ! Very Happy

I could have missed the info on this Topic
as there are now 50+ pages Shocked

But does anyone know of this system,
how it works out &
any pictures / links ?

Thanks !

Not sure, but you may be referring to my install. Although, it was not done by Streamline Audio. I used Aluminum L-Track and it has held up great. We have taken the van on some pretty serious trails and abused the heck out of it. We even lived out of the van for a year. I did the install April of 2014. I made it so the entire framework can be removed and changed if/when I wanted something different. The interior has morphed from a Carat style to full westy and now in the process of removing some of the westy cabinets to fit the full width bed again.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 72

Jump to: