Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small car wiring harness
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

So I just received a small car wiring harness to install in my syncro. My current POS wiring harness has the ecu in a sealed box in the drivers side battery tray. It's screwed to the top of the tray area and has breather holes in it. It's always stayed clean. Small car says they won't warranty it if installed there due to possible heat issues. OK. It's the weekend so I can't call and ask them if it's possible to install it under the rear bench without gas tank removal. Has anyone managed to do it.
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

Hey, Danny from Small Car here. You can install it without removing the gas tank. Just relocated my harness a few weeks ago after the gas tank was installed. I had just converted to Syncro. You need to drill a pilot hole from the driver side wheel well as far inboard as you can get.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

Well Dan and Dan I hope you have a chance to enjoy the eclipse. Hope you get it all sorted out Dan.

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

OK thanks for the reply.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

There should be a good size factory hole left rear firewall under the back seat where the original ECU harness went through. I’m 89% sure the tank does not cover that cutout. With ECUs in general, the shorter the run the better. Time to do a little investigating.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
There should be a good size factory hole left rear firewall under the back seat where the original ECU harness went through. I’m 89% sure the tank does not cover that cutout. With ECUs in general, the shorter the run the better. Time to do a little investigating.

The tank definitely does not cover that. It is fairly tight, and might be packed full of dirt though.

Robyn
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

IMHO that was darn decent of Danny to log on and answer that question.....

I appreciate when our vendors get involved here. It makes them more real, less removed............ we're more than a $$ sign.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

As stated you can definitely replace the harness with the tank in place. Spray out all of the mud and debris that is packed in the area as the harness will not want to move with decades of stuff packed and dried in place.
There is no benefit to having the ECU in the engine bay, early converters did this as a easier install but it leads to issues down the road. VW mounted theirs under the back seat in later years and subaru mounted it on the firewall, both are in the more stable cabin area.
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

I love seeing posts related to products I’ve had a hand in designing/working with. I try to check for them regularly.

If the van is an early van there won’t be an existing hole. But yea, one can be drilled. We require the ECU to be in the cabin for water and temperature reasons. Same thing goes for the interface board which is connected to the harness at the same point as the ECU.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

Sorry, somehow I assumed this was a syncro which all should have had digifant 2.1 engines and ECUs. My mistake.
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Sorry, somehow I assumed this was a syncro which all should have had digifant 2.1 engines and ECUs. My mistake.

Must be a converted syncro since he’s worried about his gas tank being there and from the sounds of it there isn’t an existing hole.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Small car wiring harness Reply with quote

Sorry I should fix my profile, its a factory 87 tintop syncro. Yes its appreciated to have vendor input here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: