Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

which lift?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: which lift? Reply with quote

while i am hemorrhaging cash out of every orifice with the construction of our new house (and garage) i am in the market for a clear floor 2 post lift. i was thinking of one like this, i guess my real question is, how do they work out for a bus? all the lifts i have used in shops i have worked at have been the conventional style (non asymmetric) lifts, and i never had an issue putting my bus up on it.

so, any bus owners that have used a asymmetrical lift, what are your thoughts?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need more than standard 4" concrete where the hoist mounts.
A friend of mine was required to put 10" in under his 10K pound one.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with 12" of concrete (4" of regular slab, plus 8" trough below slab all poured together), for my 2 post lift. My 2 posts are parralel, but the arms are unequal length (front are much shorter than the rear). Mine is made by a company called Forward. I was told it was a "lighter duty" version made by Rotary. When I purchased mine, the guy said "as long as you're only lifting 4-5 cars a day you'll be fine". So light duty is in the eye of the beholder.

For you, I would look long and hard at the max lift height before the safety engages. I used to have a Chevy Astro van and the safety would engage before the lift reached max height. As such, I couldn't really walk under it. So look for one that lets you go as high as possible since your bus is rather tall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
You will need more than standard 4" concrete where the hoist mounts.
A friend of mine was required to put 10" in under his 10K pound one.

Florida_Buggy wrote:
I went with 12" of concrete (4" of regular slab, plus 8" trough below slab all poured together), for my 2 post lift. My 2 posts are parralel, but the arms are unequal length (front are much shorter than the rear). Mine is made by a company called Forward. I was told it was a "lighter duty" version made by Rotary. When I purchased mine, the guy said "as long as you're only lifting 4-5 cars a day you'll be fine". So light duty is in the eye of the beholder.

For you, I would look long and hard at the max lift height before the safety engages. I used to have a Chevy Astro van and the safety would engage before the lift reached max height. As such, I couldn't really walk under it. So look for one that lets you go as high as possible since your bus is rather tall.

thanks for the input guys. i guess the concrete police are out, so here is what i am doing, by choice, not code:

8" floor, 6x6 wire mesh relief cut @ 1/2 way point (20 feet)
below grade will be 2 (one for each post mounting pad) 4'x4' 10" deep concrete pad with pre welded (by me, no less) rebar cage, giving me a grand total depth of 18" of concrete where the lift will be attached.

here is a pic of said garage, with 14' ceilings (well, ok, 13 3/4 finished)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now, has anyone put a bus on a asymmetrical lift? do the arms contact the frame ok?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as the concrete police, just trying to help.

I was thinking after I posted, I did have a bay window pop-top camper on my lift (I parted it out, VERY rusty). I don't remember any issues with the arms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twisted Minis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an asymmetrical lift and have worked on a bus, it wasn't an issue lifting it up. You can bias it pretty far forward if you have to.

As far as what to get, I would look into a used Rotary. The prices on them are coming down and you can get one from $1200-1800 depending on the year it was made. They are some of the best lifts around, and parts are very easy to come by. Any bearing/hydraulic supply place will carry their stuff.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as the concrete police, just trying to help.

no problem. sorry if i came off like an ass. the last few days friends/family have said "if i were you" far too much. i have quite enough of the "if i were you" comments to last a lifetime. although there will be regrets with a build, i think i have planned quite well Cool

Twisted Minis wrote:
I have an asymmetrical lift and have worked on a bus, it wasn't an issue lifting it up. You can bias it pretty far forward if you have to.

As far as what to get, I would look into a used Rotary. The prices on them are coming down and you can get one from $1200-1800 depending on the year it was made. They are some of the best lifts around, and parts are very easy to come by. Any bearing/hydraulic supply place will carry their stuff.

i have looked into some other lifts. used are just that, well used and beat to hell. there is a guy local to me that refurb's them, but wants close to new in the price department and gives a 2 month warranty. i have not pulled the trigger on a lift yet, but for a car, i like the asymmetric style, makes getting in and out alot easier

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries.

Oh, consider doing the install yourself if you want to save some money. It took me and 3 friends less than a day working at a leisurely pace. And my friends aren't "mechanics" but if you tell them to do something they can follow directions. It really wasn't hard at all.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not mean to come off as a concrete police either. Just giving a heads up.
I did not re-enforce the floor in my shop, so I a limited as to the hoist choices.
I am seriously right now looking as a scissors type, because of my thinner floor.
I do not have the money to rip up the floor and redo it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: lift Reply with quote

maxjax makes a portable two post jack.
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:

I would have to agree with this as well. If you have 14' ceilings, you're going to kick yourself for not getting a lift that goes higher than this:

Quote:
I would call him a dick, but a dick has a head on it

Last edited by bljones on Today 4:20am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand what everyone is saying abought the height. the picture with the blazer is deceiving. the pump assy is a bit taller on the post than i am as shown here. just about all the lifts in my price range have the same max lifting height. if i have to go all taco neck under the bus, i am ok with that. or worse yet, i sit in a chair and change my oil Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to walk under the lift would be nice, but it isn't necessary. I have a bend pak scissor lift and it only lifts to four feet. (nine foot shop ceiling) At max lift with the bus on the tallest pads I have, I can sit on my rolling stool and roll around under the bus. Quite comfy, actually.

IF I had higher ceilings, I likely would go for something with higher lift capacity, though.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's true guys. see, we all learned something here. Very Happy

All I know is I love my lift. Its nice to put a car on the lift for an oil change, but take a few minutes to look at the whole underside of the car. It really keeps you "in the loop" of your vehicles overall well being. You can see very minor leaks as soon as they develop, sources of squeaks and rattles, etc.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys. i have consulted with a few different companies, and i waent with the eagle lift. they took the time to go over the pro's and cons of the lift, and it is now on its way. as luck would have it, it will fit in the back of my single scab, so i will post pix when i get it. (providing the single scab isn't in 2 pieces when i load it in Laughing )

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, lift showed up today. it won't be put in for a while, but i hauled it home Cool

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET! When I got mine me and some friends drove from Tampa to Orlando (about 1.5 hours) with a 6x10 trailer. They loaded it in the trailer with a forklift and when we got home, we just backed up to the lift bay and drug it out of the trailer as we installed it. I'm very lazy that way Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^
thats cool! as it turned out, the single cab bed is about 6" lower than the tractor trailer it showed up on, so we wheeled it on to the dolly, and at the end, i put my jack under it (you can barely see it in the pic) i tossed the strap around it real quick just to get off the street (sadly, that is our 'loading dock' at work) i pulled it into the shop, used our lift as a hoist to get all my stuff out from under it, drove it to my excavation guys house where he off loaded it. once the garage is all set, i will have him drag it to the house. he dosen't know it yet, but he will give me a hand setting it up too Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in law delivered my used scissor lift from southern Idaho for me in the back of his big Dodge. I had no way to get it out of the truck (900 lbs) so we went to my buddy's fabrication shop to use the forklift. We put it onto my low little trailer and headed back to my place. I then dropped the ramp on the back of the trailer, tied the lift off to the big spruce tree next to the driveway, and pulled the trailer out from under the lift. From there I was able to wheel the lift into my shop as it's designed to be somewhat portable.

It was an ordeal, but worth it for sure.

That's the lift, and that is the big spruce tree just to the left.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Let me know how you like that lift. I am seriously considering getting one of those.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: