Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

American Pickers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
So you find a complete 23 in decent shape in a field and asked the owner how much and he said 500 dollars, you'd say I'll give you 10k cause that's what it's worth.
Get real, we're all after the "SCORE" just like the PICKERS .
X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
I'm pretty tired of auction/samba prices at the swaps. One of the disadvantages to having this huge data base of parts for sale is it's really easy to see what people are "asking" for parts and then excpect to get it at a swap. It's been discussed at length.

X10! Laughing

So here goes my bumper story yet again! Got a rear bumper for free as a friend was cleaning his garage. Took it to OCTO and no sonner than taking it off the rack, was asked "how much for it?" I said $50 so it was gone. Later in the day I see "my" bumper coming this way so I asked the guy how much he paid for it. "$80" says he. I made $50, next guy made $30, final guy got what he was looking for. That's why it's called a swap meet! Razz
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So here goes my bumper story yet again! Got a rear bumper for free as a friend was cleaning his garage. Took it to OCTO and no sonner than taking it off the rack, was asked "how much for it?" I said $50 so it was gone. Later in the day I see "my" bumper coming this way so I asked the guy how much he paid for it. "$80" says he. I made $50, next guy made $30, final guy got what he was looking for. That's why it's called a swap meet!

I love the good 'ol US of A. Capitalism at work! In my opinion, this is why we live in such a great country (i understand certain things arent so great).

If someone is willing to sell something at a certain price that they are happy with, so be it. Like someone else said, its not my job to do your research. If its fair to them, its fair to all, no one is getting screwed over. Millions more Americans would be broke if this was not the way it was, in fact, these guys would not have a job if it didnt work that way.

end quasi rant.
buck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Funny story, that guy got a hold of Chadd and i to come buy the shop and look at a bus we had forsale. He's a cool guy, but one hell of a tire kicker. He tried to hustle Chadd for VW parts and info. You can't hustle a hustler! Very Happy He was telling us about the show and it was on only a few networks in small areas. Now it looks to be nation wide. Good luck on shooting yourself in the foot and not bleeding to death!! Laughing

That guy was interested in buying my 60 panel when I had it up for sale. Probably one of the most annoying potential buyers I have ever talked to in my life. He would ask the same questions over and over...in the end i decided not to sell it to him because he didn't really seem to have a clue and was trying to talk down my price more than I cared for.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buck wrote:
bubba wrote:
Funny story, that guy got a hold of Chadd and i to come buy the shop and look at a bus we had forsale. He's a cool guy, but one hell of a tire kicker. He tried to hustle Chadd for VW parts and info. You can't hustle a hustler! Very Happy He was telling us about the show and it was on only a few networks in small areas. Now it looks to be nation wide. Good luck on shooting yourself in the foot and not bleeding to death!! Laughing

That guy was interested in buying my 60 panel when I had it up for sale. Probably one of the most annoying potential buyers I have ever talked to in my life. He would ask the same questions over and over...in the end i decided not to sell it to him because he didn't really seem to have a clue and was trying to talk down my price more than I cared for.

Therein lies the other side of the capitalism equation. You never agreed on a fair price, so the deal did not happen.

I can certainly understand how he would seem a bit annoying to deal with when you are the seller, but that is likely what made him an interesting subject in the eyes of the creators/producers of the TV show. Controversy sells.
buck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i know what you're saying... bunch of crap on tv anyways...thats just one more thing. ha
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that guy from the show is on thesamba... he had a want ad for a long time that he was looking for a single cab. he also had a grey zwitter for sale for a while in the classifieds on here

also it was a pretty cool show. i couldnt sleep lastnight so i watched it twice on the history channel lol
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1984 Vanagon Westfalia EJ25
1964 Lifted Mouse Grey Standard
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt like it when they went up to that guys door and asked him he had any old bikes. just kinda rude
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the guys who wouldn't previously sell to him prior to this episode feel about their sale after he posts the net profit at the end of the show Rolling Eyes
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samurai Sword was the one that got me $200.00 with the old guys history to go with it. He knew it was a diamond in the rough and jumped right on it knowing some Samurai Sword can go for as much as $100,000.00 on a bad day. And when they took it apart at the experts place and found it had no name or markings from being cut it just didn`t seam right . To me it didn`t even look like the same sword that the old guy had and then they played it off as being junk. But when you think about it it`s all about making money. Cool
broozebrothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i know where you guys are coming from when you say ''everyone is looking for the score!" but if you were to do your homework and ask a high ass price thinking to yourself if someone gives me what im asking,i'll sell it , then you end up in the whines!!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spookymulder wrote:
I wonder how the guys who wouldn't previously sell to him prior to this episode feel about their sale after he posts the net profit at the end of the show Rolling Eyes

They could have made that profit themselves if they wanted to do all the legwork involved. Though it seems that they may be getting taken advantage of, they all have the opportunity to raise the price or say no.
WallysRiviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show is good DVR material.
cage66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually getting a little annoyed watching them talk to these old guys like they are best friends.
They seem so fake, it was like seeing a car or even kirby salesman at work. And if you dont sell them what they want they will constantly call you until you finally brake down and sell. Rolling Eyes
But I guess if thats your "job" thats all that matters.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
capedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you believe what you see or read is the truth?
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cage66 wrote:
I was actually getting a little annoyed watching them talk to these old guys like they are best friends.
They seem so fake, it was like seeing a car or even kirby salesman at work. And if you dont sell them what they want they will constantly call you until you finally brake down and sell. Rolling Eyes
But I guess if thats your "job" thats all that matters.

Having "worked" on deals for many years that is what has to happen a lot of times. If you don't keep in touch with the seller you may lose the deal. I had one that I worked for 15 years and ended up getting in just before the scrap guy got it all (and still had to make deals with him and leave the motors and not NOS body parts).

He actually came off good to me. He would actually listen to the seller and also hear what was said. When you are really doing it you mind is running in at least 3 directions while talking to the seller (how much will I pay, how am I going to move it, who is going to buy it). I have dealt with all kinds of dealers and there is a lot worse out there, a lot worse.

There was a junk yard that the owner loved VWs near us. To go in and get a few parts was a 2 hour project with the stories he told. The one I got the most of was a black 59 Bug that was owned by a doctor (I had a 58 at that time). There was a true Kombi that he towed in off the highway. And so on and so forth. When dealing with a older people it can vary from being fun but slow to a royal pain (like the guy that would never sell to them before).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overall i liked the show. as an amateur "picker" it was cool to watch and relate to their situations. What I did not like about teh show is it will make this environment even more competitive with every arm chair weekend warrior going out in the field and hassling people for their stuff. potentially ruining mine and others finds that we have been working on, vw and nonvw related Confused but cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JLevassiur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUBUGME2 wrote:
squirmyman wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats got to be brotherbobs old sc from steeringboxscrapers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yep, that is BB's Single. I was sad when he sold it.
I would know that Hurst with all the holes in it anywhere! I made it. it was not for sale but he had to have it. another Samba member and great friend , GERG, drove from Vegas to my place in Corona. mounted it on his SC and drove it to Texas to deliver it while at the Texas Classic. what a trooper.
the bumper looks like he straightened it a bit. I know that the SC hit a nasty Railroad track that was sticking up above the pavement. it stopped the SC and did an endo on the Hurst according to BB. bent it a little and didnt hurt much. I was stoked that the bus wasnt hurt.
bummer that he doesnt have it anymore.
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that was my old SC ! Mr Wolfe bought it right here on the Samba , he paid what I was asking and I'm happy with that . It was nice to see its all still together but I'd bet money he will sell it for twice what he bought it for after it gets some more press...Oh well such is life , its his .
I am working on a 1957 Coral Oval now thats in paint and body as we speak , it will be twice as nice as that SC.
I think that the show did come off as if the guys were a bit "pushy" to the older folks but thats reality TV I guess , he is making bank for sure .
I wish them all the luck in the world with the show , he is a VW enthusiast.
BB
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
overall i liked the show. as an amateur "picker" it was cool to watch and relate to their situations. What I did not like about teh show is it will make this environment even more competitive with every arm chair weekend warrior going out in the field and hassling people for their stuff. potentially ruining mine and others finds that we have been working on, vw and nonvw related Confused but cool

I don't know about all that. There is overhead involved, travel, haul, sell...and it takes a certain person to approach these type places.
Also remember TV puts it in a nice tight package (from house to house, deal to deal.) It could actually be weeks if not months between those recordings. Armchair Andy won't fill up the tank more then twice without something to show for! $$$
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 56

Jump to: