Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mullendore Port
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Ahhh, so that’s why it’s called a squirrel cage. Oy!

Put a respirator on that beer.

Smile

SyncroChrick wrote:
This is why this solution may not always be the right option...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulling the dash is really not that bad. Not sure why people freaks out about it so much.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Is that Hanta beer you're drinking?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Still is a great option but cannot overcome Rocky.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Time for another shot of lube. Mine started screeching again this week after several years of silence.

I checked. Six years and two months (September 2012) since I wrote this many pages back:

"Since January 2011 for me. We don't drive it often and I can't remember the last time I used the front blower until our Ohio trip earlier this month when I needed it to defog the windshield. Ran quietly, so that means it's a lasting fix."

So a couple of months short of eight years, lasting but obviously not permanent. Karl has a lot to answer for!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:

Pulling the dash is really not that bad. Not sure why people freaks out about it so much.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong (hopefully) but the way it strikes me, there's just so much wrong with this post that I feel inspired to comment further. It seems like you are implying two things with your post. One is that the lubing of the blower is a bad idea because it cannot fix all dash blower problems. The other implication is that people are over-reacting to the effort required to pull the dash. I think both are implications are wrong. You're also showing an wanton disregard for your own health and well-being, which I'm totally fine with.

Easy maintenance is a good thing when it prolongs the life of components. I haven't seen anyone 'freaking out' about pulling the dash. I've pulled the dash a few times and it's no big deal. I'd still rather spend 10 minutes and 10 cents maintaining the blower every few years than spend 3 hours and $100 to add parts to the landfill that could have had a much longer service life if maintained.

As a very apt analogy, changing your oil won't fix the hole in your block when your engine tosses a rod. That doesn't mean that changing your oil is a bad idea. That also doesn't mean that people are 'freaking out' about how hard it is to swap their engine when they go to change their oil. I'd rather spend a 1/2 hour and $30 every few months changing my oil than spend 10 hours and $5000 every few years changing my engine. YMMV.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:

The solution is the find and seal all the opening into the cab so the squirrels, mice, and other critters can not get in. The poorly designed screen behind the upper grill is likely the culprit in this case.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

I’m reading the comments differently. If you have an unknown to you rodent nest hiding in your entire blower motor, oiling the bearings is the least of your worries.....: Razz

If SC found the Dash easy to remove, so be it. Congratulations to SC on her skill level with what is a daunting task to most people.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Is that Hanta beer you're drinking?

Shanta, Shirley.

Only available in the Holiday season due the Shanta Clause
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong (hopefully)....

Yes you are
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Just did this. Fixed a squeaky but working blower motor just in time for foggy window season. Great tip!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

My 1991 at 160K started to squeak last week and quickly whent down hill to yesterday when it wouldn’t move on speed 2 and struggle on high making nasty sounds. I drilled a single hole just right of the second rib with a 1/2” bit. That was the biggest size I had handy and it was enough to locate the bearing, with a small led light, and insert my triple taped together straws to hit the fan with lube. Took 10 minutes. Fixed for now!!! I’m happy and if anyone in the SF Bay Area needs it done I’ll do it for a six pack..
Brian
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

My 1991 at 160K started to squeak last week and quickly whent down hill to yesterday when it wouldn’t move on speed 2 and struggle on high making nasty sounds. I drilled a single hole just right of the second rib with a 1/2” bit. That was the biggest size I had handy and it was enough to locate the bearing, with a small led light, and insert my triple taped together straws to hit the fan with lube. Took 10 minutes. Fixed for now!!! I’m happy and if anyone in the SF Bay Area needs it done I’ll do it for a six pack..
Brian
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not sufficiently caffienated but I can't see how to put one of these lube ports in if you have the whole mess apart — dash out, heater box split…

I'm cool with running a tube from the defrost vent or somewhere else to the necessary place but I'm not picturing it. Anyone have a picture of theirs to share?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

The added hole is in the cowl area of the body and not in the heater box. No hole is necessary in the heater box itself since it is open to the front.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The added hole is in the cowl area of the body and not in the heater box. No hole is necessary in the heater box itself since it is open to the front.

I have read somewhere on here that you can add the capability without drilling holes in the cowl, by running a tube from the bearing to a more accessible place (like under one of the defrost vents). I'll see what I can work out as I get it put back together. The new heater core doesn't arrive for two days so I have time and plenty to do under there.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

^^^ I did it at the same time as my Jeep resistor rebuild, but didn't get any really good pictures... Sad

FWIW, here's one that at least shows the yellow cap on the fan bearing & "lube tube" before final install:

It's really a very direct run straight up to the defrost vent...if I did, I know you'll figure it out... Wink

- Dave

PS: Apologies for lack of Mullendore content... Embarassed

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Needforspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

I did the lubrication job a year a go, the fan is still working fine with no sounds at all.

I used a USB camera along with a thin air hose to see the bearing, I did not expect the job to last this long at all.
A great tip, thanks to Karl Mullendore Very Happy
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

Mine squeaks a little/offers a bit more resistance to turning by hand than I like. So I'll figure this out as I button the patient up.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

I came upon the Mullendore Port retro-fix idea. Would his fix work on an aircooled Vanagon like my 1982 model, would anyone know? Is the dash fan located in the same position as the water cooled models?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mullendore Port Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:

People freak because it’s work that you can’t do on an Iphone app.

I did my E83 evap on SWMBO car last summer, took Me 12 hours, first time.

I picked up another 4 locally which took 6 hours, and I charged 2k each. Great summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: