Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I got some Unimog axles
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandit86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: I got some Unimog axles Reply with quote

I picked up a set of Unimog axles on the weekend, with some 40 inch tall military tires. For those that dot know what I'm talking about, a Unimog 404 axle is a 1.5 ton live axle with portal boxes to increase ground clearance by 6.5 inches and 7.56 gear ratios to boot. I was going to resell them for profit but my dad(theist person on earth to bastardized a vehicle) said I should put them under a van. Good idea dad.

I would need either a suby or preferably a diesel, inthe back, connected to a rear wheel drive transmission, connected to a transfercase, and then driveshaft to the front and rear axle. Since the centre part of the diffs are interchangeable I think, I might be able to swap 3rd members front to back and have proper direction forward if need be to open up my engine choices.

The only drawback will be that it would be a rear engines front wheel drive van, unless I find an Awd transfercase to make it work

I was thinking of a built Suzuki samurai transfercase, that handle v6power and 40 inch tires but would spin backwards with a vw setup and probably have oiling issues

Does the driveshaft of a synchro van spin the same direction as a standard truck?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets to be a real PITA to fit a tire much bigger than 30" on a vanagon. That should be your first consideration.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the portal axles from a T1 would make for some interesting variants, since you could use all manner of transaxle options

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?

Last edited by Zeitgeist 13 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bandit86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
It gets to be a real PITA to fit a tire much bigger than 30" on a vanagon. That should be your first consideration.

I know, my old syncro had really small tires. But with live axles I can go higher, all I'm loosing is my low centre of gravity

How do the diesel syncro conversions work, does the transmission change engine rotation direction?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that you will hit the fenders(even by cutting them off), the battery box, suspension and the door. You will have to give the van a massive lift really affecting the COG and making a a poor wheeler.
Do a search for syncroghia's build thread to get a better idea of what i am describing.

Anything is possible with money, time and skills.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I got some Unimog axles Reply with quote

bandit86 wrote:
I was going to resell them for profit but

That is exactly what you should do. or put them under a 4wd with a frame and all. I don't know what your skills are or the tools you have but that would be a very large undertaking and even the most talented guy would struggle to end up with good results.

Of course people said this about the Splitzgauer and I am doing it anyway. So go for it and prove us all wrong...

What about the steering? That will be a PITA too.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Splitzgauer concept. I'd do the whole Mog chassis and graft a Vanagon Westy body onto it.
'96 BMW R1100GS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: