Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has Stainless Steel Coolant pipes in their van?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Size doesn't matter and where to buy a good one Reply with quote

HOW BIG:

Just like in your home water heater, you replace the anode when it is gone.

Putting two in would not hurt. One at each end. Engine end and radiator end. Both big aluminum areas.

NOTE: One should also consider a grounding system at each end too. You need to a have a return path.

WHERE TO BUY:

You can get the anodes at various places including marine supply stores or

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/anode.html

http://www.harboranodes.com/pencil_zincs.html (from above)

Not for Vanagon as there is no place to ground it, but works in other cars:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/RADIATOR_CORROSION_INHIBI...000879;0;0

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Size doesn't matter and where to buy a good one Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
HOW BIG:

Putting two in would not hurt. One at each end. Engine end and radiator end. Both big aluminum areas.

That doesn't really answer my question. If all the requirements are met for a galvanic reaction (dissimilar metals, ground path between them, electrolyte completing the other side of the circuit) what surface area of sacrificial anode is required to halt the reaction? Will just the smallest amount of anode halt the reaction with the other metal that you want to protect or does the surface area of the anode need to match the surface area of the material that is to be protected? Does the surface area needed depend on the difference in potentials?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Size doesn't matter and where to buy a good one Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
HOW BIG:

NOTE: One should also consider a grounding system at each end too. You need to a have a return path.

My home water heater is glass line so very little metal is exposed in comparison to the size of the anode, plus the water heater is also electrically isolated from the rest of the plumbing in the house. As I stated before by installing an anode in the pipes and then grounding the pipes you may make the corrosion worse, maybe far worse. If you want to run SS pipes the best bet is to keep them electrically isolated, and if you want to run anodes, install them directly in the engine somehow.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read, the size of the sacrificial annode can be small, since the current density is highest on a small annode. I think keeping things isolated is still good, but an annode would be nice to make sure everything is protected as it can be. I love the idea of a drain plug in the line, and if it were plated that should be good enough to protect the aluminum for a good while. Easy to replace too.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
RMW I really appreciate your attitude in this thread. It is welcome to see a vendor of coolant pipes that when confronted with a potential issue begins looking to solutions that would be easy for the customer to maintain. If I am ever in the market for stainless coolant pipes I am sure I will give you my business.

What surface area of sacrificial anode(s) would be needed to compensate for the surface area of the coolant pipes/aluminum engine parts?

Thanks for all the support guys. I am so far from a expert on this topic. I kinda don't even think it is a problem but I don't want that to stir a bunch more activity to justify that it is. Another product that I just located is Zinc coated tees for the rear heater core. Maybe this will help also?

So I think it is funny that Distilled Water has never come up in this whole topic. Isn't it the minerals in regular water that cause the problems anyway? We use distilled water when refilling and flushing Vanagons. Also isn't the system already exposed to stainless steel? I realize that the coolant tubes have much more surface area but what about the Thermostat, water Pump also has stainless in it.

I am open to modifying and changing products in any way. If we as a community really think this is a problem, lets get some test data. I drive 7 miles a day and rarely in my own vehicle. If someone out there drives 30k or 40k miles a year and is willing to do headgaskets to inspect and see if there is a problem down the road I will give them a half price set of coolant pipes. I will do it for multiple people if we think it is nessacary.

So we probably burned out a bunch of people with this post. Should we start a new one and call it the great Stainless Test of 2011? I don't think the results will be earth shattering but action is the only way to get results.Bring on the Guinea Pigs.

We should start a new post and stick to the facts and get a good test system going. I don't want to deal with the organiztion or results. I just want to provide the product. Someone that is a junkie here should step up and organize it.

Thanks again for all the support

Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
You rock!
Thanks for keeping the seas calm around here.
It really gets stormy often.

I think that the Ts would work well even in a van that still has the plastic pipes.

Perhaps it would keep the head issues at bay for a few more miles.

Yes, distilled water was completely overlooked in this discussion thus far.

dylan
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<Terry, show me one Vanagon that has not had corrosion problems, just one. Every Vanagon that I have ever heard of has had corrosion problems.>>>

Your 100% correct on this one-
And it doesn't make one iota of a difference if it was using mild steel, or plastic , non- galavanicly conductive tubing.

<<It doesn't matter whether the antifreeze was changed every year there was still a corrosion problem with the heads.>>

It really did, but you just didn't know what the service records were like on the particular vehicle. .

<<Yes changing the antifreeze every few years will reduce the problem and adding coolant conditioner is in my experience even better, but nothing stops it. >>

And--NOT ONLY ON A VANAGON.

On any engine--especially Aluminum!!!

<<The question is whether 304SS pipes make it worse.>>
NO.

<<You have either done no testing or won't admit to the results from the test.>>

I'll admit the results of a ten year case study on stainless coolant tubes & aluminum engines.
No adverse , corrosion, or electroletical, galvanic internal engine damage.
Done.

<<These aren't Fords, Detroits, or Cummins, they are VW Vanagons>>>

That's correct.
However, every one of theses engine aree internal combustion gas or dieselwater cooled engines, and DO REQUIRE PERIODIC COOLANT CHANGES TO PREVENT INTERNAL GALAVANIC ENGINE DAMAGE.

I wonder why John Deere, Petrbuilt, Freightliner, Mack, or any HD eguipment or truck parts counter has coolant litmus testing kits for sale.

Must be some sort of "As seen on TV" hype item---
Nothing to that at all---

<<that had a corrosion problem from day one that would lead to the failure of the waterbox gasket in about 80K miles no matter how often the antifreeze was change. >>

This is totally a bad JU-JU thought.
If you simply checked the DCA level in your Vans coolant system once a year, with a simple dip of a small pice of paper--or even checking the specific gravity of the coolant would give you a quick idea what shape it was in--would save a bunch of folks a bunch of problems with internal corrsion.
Nobody will do this--too hard.

<<Since you haven't shown any proof that your pipes won't make a bad problem worse I will have to assume that they will.>>

Assumptions sure don't make anything a fact---

And the SAE stainless tubing as tested causes no coolant system problems.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<Well Terry,

You are wrong. We manufacture the pipes for Go Westy, Van Cafe and our own product right here in Ft Collins CO.>>

Glad to see you decided to immitate, not innovate Mike--
Everybody wants to get into the act.
Your 8-9 years late--but good for you.
I know for a fact that you don't supply ALL of the aforementioned pipes to the places you stated.

<< Probably could ship them anywhere for around $125 one piece.>>
Probability, and reality is two different things-
I'd suggest doing your homework on this subject a Bunch More--

Shoot me a shipping figure from you to 60056 via UPS--
Let me know what the price is,and when they'll be here.

Nice black rubber, uncut, run of the mill hose your using for the two piece pipe splice's---very innovative--Nice Touch.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
<<<Well Terry,

You are wrong. We manufacture the pipes for Go Westy, Van Cafe and our own product right here in Ft Collins CO.>>

Glad to see you decided to immitate, not innovate Mike--
Everybody wants to get into the act.
Your 8-9 years late--but good for you.
I know for a fact that you don't supply ALL of the aforementioned pipes to the places you stated.

<< Probably could ship them anywhere for around $125 one piece.>>
Probability, and reality is two different things-
I'd suggest doing your homework on this subject a Bunch More--

Shoot me a shipping figure from you to 60056 via UPS--
Let me know what the price is,and when they'll be here.

Nice black rubber, uncut, run of the mill hose your using for the two piece pipe splice's---very innovative--Nice Touch.

Terry, I won't play your games. You left a obvious hole in the market that I took advantage of. Why would the other vendors buy from Germany if you could have been making them all along? I think our products are very innovative and I don't think a immitation comment is fair. If you need the trophy for manufacturing the first set of Stainless Replacment pipes, you got my vote. I don't have the authority to give you the trophy or I would. I do this for fun not to prove I am right. Thanks for your opinion and thoughts. I think there is room in the marketplace for multiple vendors. I will not get in a public pissing match with you. I don't think it is good for either one of our reputations. This reply is not a solicitation for a reply from you. I am good, case closed.

I will get you a shipping quote on Monday.
[email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike---

Good answer, good response.
I wan't looking for any confrontation--just working you over.

Be real careful on Carte' Blanche tossing shipping prices out there in the wide open yonder --somebodies gonna hold ya to it.

You can't ship the one piece pipes cheap--
Been there for a long time, and can't find anybody that will ship an oversized product inexpensive.

You'll be shaking your head on the price when you discover how much--

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone needs to grow up a little bit...just let it go.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Mike---

Good answer, good response.
I wan't looking for any confrontation--just working you over.

Be real careful on Carte' Blanche tossing shipping prices out there in the wide open yonder --somebodies gonna hold ya to it.

You can't ship the one piece pipes cheap--
Been there for a long time, and can't find anybody that will ship an oversized product inexpensive.

You'll be shaking your head on the price when you discover how much--

Ok Terry, Got my shipping quote. $125 to your zip code for a commercial address. One Piece Stainless tubes 10 foot in length. Would you like a set or two? Ha-Ha just kidding but for real I can ship these things anywhere for around $125. Any Takers?

Thanks, Mike
[email protected]

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

via who in the transportation racket?

I know if you walked into UPS you'd be outa there with them tubes as fast as you walked in.
they have a size limitation, and the pipes are within the revolving door policy--

If you had to ship to only a commercial address---maybe your right.
The only way is Fed-Ex and with the oversized parcel--they'll only ship via express.

I need them delivered to my house---now how much?

About $158.90 is more like it.

Good Luck in the shippig department.

This is by far the biggest barrier & pain in the parts purveyor segment.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new GW SS pipes yesterday!

Can't wait until Spring to get here and install them.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Congradulations, That is a great product. One less thing to worry about. You should replace the Tee's in your heater lines to the rear heater core. Also plastic and considered junk depending on who you ask. We are working on having a production product available.

Good Luck, Mike
[email protected]

Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Mike,

via who in the transportation racket?

I know if you walked into UPS you'd be outa there with them tubes as fast as you walked in.
they have a size limitation, and the pipes are within the revolving door policy--

If you had to ship to only a commercial address---maybe your right.
The only way is Fed-Ex and with the oversized parcel--they'll only ship via express.

I need them delivered to my house---now how much?

About $158.90 is more like it.

Good Luck in the shippig department.

This is by far the biggest barrier & pain in the parts purveyor segment.

Come on Terry, Isn't a guy allowed to have a few secrets? I ship a lot of truck freight. It is amazing as soon as someone can save $40 they find a commercial address. Lets face it everyone in the Vanagon community has there local shop they have done business with for years. There is your commercial address. Shipping is easy and profitable for me. I am sorry you struggle with it. You should find yourself a good commercial shipping broker. I use Fed EX when appropriate. I rarely use UPS and I NEVER walk in their door.
[email protected]

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "Truck Freight " I ever use is Forward Air, and they are notorious for damaging freight.
The price is more than right, but the damages created by saving a buck really voids the shipment savings.
The rest of them around here are all union shops/ carrier's and cost 3 times as much as the common carrier's, such as UPS & Fed-Ex.
Fed-Ex is the most resonable,and accessable in this area.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

Congradulations, That is a great product. One less thing to worry about. You should replace the Tee's in your heater lines to the rear heater core. Also plastic and considered junk depending on who you ask. We are working on having a production product available.

Good Luck, Mike

Why should these T's be replaced? Other than being old, brittle?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

Good Luck, Mike

Why should these T's be replaced? Other than being old, brittle?

That is really the only reason. The replacements are identical to the original. It is just a good time to replace them because the system is empty. I also would replace the stainless coolant tower. They are also plastic. Here is a link to the coolant tower.

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/VanagonWaterboxerParts.htm

Good luck, Mike
[email protected]

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<my 85 had new ss pipes when i got it.they where replaced about 3-4 yrs ago.i havnt had any problems with the and the outside is still shinny new.dont know where he got them though.>>

Is your 85 GL white, and you bought it from Mike Popovich in Johnstown PA?

I know where the pipes came from.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: