Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Wheel Alignment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

So, one thing I've been wondering about:
The Bentley indicates that the ride height measurement must be done without occupants or cargo.
But, are folks are setting the Toe with the vehicle weighted (weight in drivers seat at least) as typical for the other settings?

I was also surprised to find that my many year old Schwenk springs give me a ride height that barely fits on the graph! 480-85 mm.
jseehorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

Chris,

Great posting! Thanks! Can anyone tell me what the Bentley manual means on page 44.2 at the top left of the spec spreadsheet in the front axle toe section. They refer to the toe per wheel being "not pressed" and "wheels not pressed" for total toe. What do they mean by the term "pressed"?
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

I believe pressed means weight in van vs not pressed means no weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
o-town
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

Syncro related question. The Bentley and other sources only list the caster spec (empty 4 degrees 40’ plus/minus 15’ /// full load 3 degrees35’)

without giving the additional calculation for corresponding caster difference of wheel on lock from 20 degrees left and right does anyone have this number for the syncro, preferably syncro camper?

I am otherwise going to try some kind of rough calculation based on how the 2wd vanagon specs are shown in the Bentley (7 degrees 15’ plus-minus 15’, equalling 4 degrees 50’ plusminus 10’ difference between left and right 20 degrees wheels)

I calculate the difference on the 2wd spec as 2 degrees 25’

So perhaps I should take that away from the syncro spec, see how the van feels. Set 2 degrees 15’ difference between front wheels 20 degrees left and right. Waldo, any thoughts?
o-town
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

I think now that the syncro caster spec is based on 20 degrees front wheels left and right difference, 4 degrees 40’

I had a lot of difficulty getting my two sides to be similar, no idea why. Left side is quite loosened, right side is tightened up almost all the way, still has right side out of spec.

I’ll have to see how it drives. I had updated a lot of the front suspension components and only set camber and toe in the past. Van drove well but had consistent pull to the right side. Makes sense now, the caster was much less positive on the right side.

I’m still puzzled why I am wildly different in adjustment left side vs right side.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering doing this once I'm done with our front end rebuild on our syncro. The information available on this forum has been invaluable and this DIY alignment post from Christopher is no exception. I have wondered though if there were some updates or new tips with other tools available. I was looking for the alignment tool Chris recommended in his original post and couldn't find it. However I found this caster/camber tool that seems to be very useful and would, theoretically, greatly simplify the setup (though I do realize the initial intent was to make it as cheap as possible). In any case, it looks like the FastTrax 91000 Caster Camber Gauge allows for measurements without needing to level out the van, would this be too good to be true?

Link

On another note, someone had mentioned about a potentially easier way to measure caster, using a flat surface on the vanagon's upright itself. I don't think anyone answered them, unless I missed the answer.
mutantfab wrote:
There is a flat spot cast onto the back edge of the knuckle by the upper ball joint that I have found to be parallel with the ball joints. If this is the case, couldn't a small digital angle finder be used to find what the caster is without other tools or turning of the wheels. To me this seems to simple so I think I may be missing something.

We have a 1987 Syncro so I am not sure if our upright is the same as other years, but here's an image of the spot I believe they were referring to. I grossly created a dotted line that matched the angle of that surface, then copied the line and drug it over the ball joint openings without changing its angle. It's not perfect science of course but it would seem to be exactly what they talked about.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So can caster be measured directly on this surface without needing to turn the wheels?
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

I think it would be hard to see in that spot.

I use a vintage magnetic camber/caster gauge like the one below. Note the 4 levels. 2 are fixed, and 2 have an adjustment on the bottom. This give one the ability to calibrate it.

Woah, it says King Pin on it. Cool.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

I am not sure what is in the Bentley, but VW manual says you can do a caster and camber alignment with a special protractor and the toe with a track gauge
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqhb3lb17uatbwg/Running%20Gear%204WD.pdf?dl=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

With the original tool ChrisToph3r having used in the making of the original DIY being NLA, here is one that was an (albeit more expensive) option in an email answer I got form him:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-91000?seid=...fgQAvD_BwE
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
I am not sure what is in the Bentley, but VW manual says you can do a caster and camber alignment with a special protractor and the toe with a track gauge
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqhb3lb17uatbwg/Running%20Gear%204WD.pdf?dl=0

This is amazing and EXACTLY what I’ve been wondering. First of all, how did I not know about this “Running Gear” manual, I need to find a paper copy!
Anyhow, here’s the section that mentions checking caster angle, and the manual says to do it using that exact surface and subtracting the angle measured from the sliding door. That’s awesome and so much simpler (at least on a Syncro)!!!

I’m definitely going to try this. The only tool needed for a Syncro then would be whatever tool can fit vertically on a wheel for camber angle measurement, as long as the ground is mostly level (and accounted for). Toe angle can be figured out regardless of being on level ground.
I LOVE the initial DIY post that Chris made, I learned a ton reading it, but for Syncro it sounds like it could be incredibly simpler to measure these alignment angles. It could go something like this, at least for caster and camber:
1. Find a mostly level surface, no play in steering and suspension, unladen vehicle (with spare wheel installed), steering rack centered and locked.
2. Measure and note the front/back angle off of the sliding door opening for later use. Measure and note the left/right angle (not sure where) for later use.
3. Caster: measure caster angle directly on the flat surface of the steering knuckle, subtract front/back angle. Adjust radius rod until measurements are within spec (unladen): 4deg 40’ +-15’
4. Camber: measure camber angle directly on the rim, subtract left/right angle. Adjust UCA bolt until within spec (unladen): 0deg 20’ +-20’

For toe, apparently the vehicle does need to be on a horizontal surface according to that manual you shared. I believe placing a straight line from front to back as mentioned in the initial instructions would help making sure front and back wheels point forward, then 2 boards can be used to measure front toe relative to left and right wheels and adjustments made with the tie rod ends.
In any case, it would appear that the procedure could be MUCH easier for a Syncro at least, without needing as much leveling, math and turning of the front wheels 20degrees and -20degrees for caster angle.

bobbyblack wrote:
With the original tool ChrisToph3r having used in the making of the original DIY being NLA, here is one that was an (albeit more expensive) option in an email answer I got form him:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-91000?seid=...fgQAvD_BwE

Excellent. That’s the one I was looking at, seems like it would simplify things nicely. However if my thought process above is true for Syncro, then a simple magnetic angle finder would do the trick and a bar that fits on the edges of the rim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

You're doing a good job working out the details of your suspension refresh.

Check out the phone app Clinometer, you might find it useful for taking measurements. I printed out a copy of the alignment spec page, then converted it to decimal degrees. the phone app is excellent for use with shop made conduit tools like Chris shows on page 1. I made something like it out of aluminum angle iron. Hat tip to poster ZsZ for sharing the original Factory manual

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

I have the 2wd version too
https://www.dropbox.com/s/044ncz638a69xyb/Running%20Gear.pdf?dl=0
And a few other factory manuals in english and german
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
You're doing a good job working out the details of your suspension refresh.

Check out the phone app Clinometer, you might find it useful for taking measurements. I printed out a copy of the alignment spec page, then converted it to decimal degrees. the phone app is excellent for use with shop made conduit tools like Chris shows on page 1. I made something like it out of aluminum angle iron. Hat tip to poster ZsZ for sharing the original Factory manual

Thank you! I am trying to be better at asking for questions AND reporting on results. I'm definitely one of the persons who would easily get answers and not find/make the time to update everyone else on the results, which I think is a disservice on my end. The rest of the novel about the rebuild can be found here if you're interested.

And I actually have that app, but I also have a magnetic digital precision angle finder on the way too.

ZsZ wrote:
And a few other factory manuals in english and german

Those are great, thanks for sharing these. It would appear that 2WD steering knuckles ALSO have a flat surface for camber!

I've asked the question on some VW syncro specific facebook groups too, and it doesn't seem like people know about this particular collection of service manuals. The graphics/drawings in there are the same as in the Bentley, but there are definitely more details about the alignment steps (and I imagine other procedures too). I believe this greatly simplifies DIY alignment though the people on those facebook groups believe a "caster sweep" (imagine that's the 20 degrees left and right) is necessary for precise caster adjustments. It would be interesting to compare the measurements calculated with a caster sweep (where there are many variables that need to be accounted for) and a simple angle finder on that steering knuckle surface.
Are they that far off?
Is the steering knuckle surface sufficient?
How has this not been brought up before?!?!
So many questions. I am excited about the prospect of making this DIY alignment procedure simpler though!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:

Thank you for that! Very Happy
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

Ok, good news so far... I've been exchanging emails with Christ at T3 regarding our front end rebuild and I asked him about that steering knuckle surface. Today, he went to his syncro, set his digital angle finder on the frame to compensate for the van not being level and measured the angle of that flat surface on the upright.
Van's measurement: 0.80°
Caster measurement: 8.05°
Adjusted caster angle: 8.05-0.80=7.25°
Which is exactly what the specs calls for: 7° 15' ±15'

That's amazing and makes caster measurements and adjustments INCREDIBLY simpler than a 20 degree caster sweep, with the setup required to do so on an uneven surface and without alignment shop tools. I'd love to see if others out there who might have had their van measured by a shop or done the caster sweep confirm if they get similar results. Thanks Chris for sharing your measurements!
Let's not forget mutanfab who first pointed that surface out and everyone else who contributed with other service manual information!
mutantfab wrote:
There is a flat spot cast onto the back edge of the knuckle by the upper ball joint that I have found to be parallel with the ball joints. If this is the case, couldn't a small digital angle finder be used to find what the caster is without other tools or turning of the wheels. To me this seems to simple so I think I may be missing something.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

A couple things bother me about that method of checking caster.

One objection is that they do not specify that the wheels need to be centered straight ahead. It seems that if the wheels are turned at all, the caster angle will not be pure and will have the camber enter into it.

The other objection is quite a bit more serious. The castor angle is the angle of the line of the ball joint pivots relative to flat and level ground. It is not the angle relative to the body. The van body might have been level relative to level ground when it left the factory, but I doubt there are very many that still are. If the sliding door area is no longer level when the van is on level ground then that method of measuring castor will be skewed by that discrepancy. E.g. if someone lifted the rear more than the front, or if the rear now sags more than the front, etc... then that method of measuring castor will be skewed by the amount of the lift/sag.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
A couple things bother me about that method of checking caster.

One objection is that they do not specify that the wheels need to be centered straight ahead. It seems that if the wheels are turned at all, the caster angle will not be pure and will have the camber enter into it.

The other objection is quite a bit more serious. The castor angle is the angle of the line of the ball joint pivots relative to flat and level ground. It is not the angle relative to the body. The van body might have been level relative to level ground when it left the factory, but I doubt there are very many that still are. If the sliding door area is no longer level when the van is on level ground then that method of measuring castor will be skewed by that discrepancy. E.g. if someone lifted the rear more than the front, or if the rear now sags more than the front, etc... then that method of measuring castor will be skewed by the amount of the lift/sag.

I do agree that these methods are for somewhat “lab” settings and that lifted, old components and modified vans need more consideration. However if you have old bushings and measure caster angle using the sweep method, wouldn’t you get the exact same result as measuring from that steering knuckle surface compared to the ground angle (not the van itself)?
If the caster sweep is designed to measure the angle between both ball joints compared to the ground, I would imagine that, unless your steering knuckle was twisted, that measurement would still be the exact same as the surface we’re talking about. Therefore, your concerns should also apply to a caster sweep, no?
So basically, it’s critical to have both wheels straight ahead and vertical (toe and camber) before measuring caster. It’s critical to know the angle of the ground and possibly the angle of the van. Then you measure and adjust caster and finish measuring/adjusting camber if it changed, then toe.
It’s interesting, the Running Gears service manual describes the toe measurements and adjustments, then the camber and finally the caster (saying it has to be with a vehicle angle of 0 or be accounted for if not 0). However at the end of the caster it says: “Altering the caster angle also influences the camber and toe. Caster, camber and toe must therefore always be checked in this sequence.”
I wonder if they encourage setting toe and camber before measuring caster, then confirm and adjust camber and toe accordingly.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

If you are measuring with the van on ground that is flat and level, then yes, using the machined flat surface on the knuckle is a really good tip. I appreciate you pointing it out. That should significantly simplify the alignments I do in the future. I just wouldn't use the van body as a method of compensating for unlevel ground unless you confirm that the van body is parallel to the ground first.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

I have always wondered how they did it out of the assembly line, they must have had some fast setting tricks to do it, no?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
I have always wondered how they did it out of the assembly line, they must have had some fast setting tricks to do it, no?

this protractor method is relatively quick and accurate enough to use in an 80s' assembly line.

Probably they had some jig with one fixed measurement to fasten things up.

Maybe there are some hints in this video. at 14:00 starts the final check.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: