Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats it worth - 62 Beetle with 1936 miles
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
domorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Whats it worth - 62 Beetle with 1936 miles Reply with quote

I found a 1962 beetle today. It has 1936. miles on it. YES One thousand
Nine Hundred and Thirty six miles.
Paint is a little faded, Interior real good slite tear on top of back seat. Bumpers have just a little specs of rust. Wipers are rusty and squirter
is popped up. other than that its perfect.
The gentleman that owes it said someone told him he should be able to get 20 grand for it. I told him, maybe ten.
Any ideas? Thanks
mooks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics would be helpful.is it all o.g,motor trans interior,rag or not,rust or cancer on it???oo many variables to count.pics would be alot more helpful.bit ill tell you this.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him to get it to Scotsdale before Sunday when Barrett-Jackson is over.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoghead5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the guy have documentation proving the mileage? if so, he may find some rich collector that might pay 10 grand. if he doesn't have concrete proof it is original mileage i would think 5 grand would be more like it. the 1962 (no offence) is nothing special. if it had a ragtop maybe more, but hell with that kind of miles i would think the engine would need an overhaul, the brake system is probably trash, as the fuel system. my buddy just bought a 1971 squareback with a little over 3 thousand original miles. he paid $200 for it. the guy had all the original papers, and everything from his dad who bought the car new. the last time it was insured was 1972

i measured once, cut it three times, and the damn thing is STILL to short!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats it worth!! Reply with quote

domorr wrote:

The gentleman that owes it said someone told him he should be able to get 20 grand for it.

Two people made mistakes already- the "someone" who said 20- yet has no plans to buy it- and you for saying maybe 10- establishing a new 2nd opinion- yet afterward you post this thread. Are you prepared to pay 10? You better be- cause even without pictures or substance- you've established the new value for the car. If you don't buy it- now you're just another stroker. You have chosen unwisely.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domoor
It would be kinda sorta nice to what part of the earth, globe, country, state, county, you may have located said vehicle. It did not happen without pictures.
The condition of said vehicle faded paint lends me to think inthe southwest then you dryatosis on all rubber cloth components.
Sight unscene the 62's well I owned one back in the day are nothing special..

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
domorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is in central Florida. I was working out of town yesterday and I was taken to see the car after I was done working. It wasn't a planned trip so I didn't have a camera with me.
The gentleman told me he did brakes,lines, cleaned the fuel tank, carb and had it running and drove it in 2004. (tagged then) He has the original bill of sale. But no bill of sale when he bought it.
I did tell him "maybe ten" but I don't know the worth so that is why I posted. If it=s worth five, great! I just would like some good advice. So I can make a fair offer.The car is about 100 miles from here so I can't just hop over and get some pics, Thanks
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

without pics it's hard to say, and documentation of the mileage is needed, just can't take anyones word for it unfortunately. also check out this simple search for your knowledge http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
RedHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Not to insult the beetle. (which I love) But most not vw people turn their heads at the sight of a high price tag on a bug. If the owner can actually:
1. find a buyer that is into VW's
2. Has that kind of money to blow
3. Looking for a uncertified low mileage vehicle.

This is not a barn find muscle car, its a VW. I don't think a museum would give you that price. The sad part is that his hopes are set real high and will probably hold on to the car and let it rot. You probably have a better chance at finding a collector that is into vws than he is.

If your not planing on collecting it. I would buy it and resell it to a vw collector, take the money and buy yourself a decent daily driver with the money.

Good luck.
Hope your able to get pictures.
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bet the odometer got turned once its life.
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mileage that low you need 100% proof plus the car is going to need to be super mint to be worth $20K.

Without photos and proof of the mileage, it's not worth any more than a normal '62 in the same condition.

A car with 1936 miles would have zero wear on almost everything - ebrake handle paint, pedal pads, seat material, original shocks, etc., etc. The spare wheel should be perfect and look new and it should probably have the original tires all around.

Photos please!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irestorevws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett is right, a car with that many miles should look brand new. That car should just scream that the miles are real if they in fact are.

I'll start out by saying I'm a cheap skate but I think you guys are under estimating the potential value of a low mile original car. The money is out there for a high end VW it's up to seller to find it. Check Randy Carlson's site at oldbug.com see what some of the cars are selling for and have sold for. How many cars does Drew Colome list under $10k? Heck, there are 3 pages of cars over $10k on this site in the '58 to '67 section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these years it should not look new. Rubber parts should be unworn, yes, but "new" after 48 years of exposure to ozone and maybe UV? I doubt it. If they really look "new" then I would be suspicious it has been restored, has 102K, not 2K. Photos and a white glov, in-person inspection by someone who knows old bugs is in order before talking price.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot of an absolutely mint, all original, black '63 ragtop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The paint, interior and motor were all perfect and all original. It sold a couple of years ago for 15k. Are you considering buying it?

-jeffrey
puttin slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the seller doesnt have paperwork prooving the actual mileage then it's not actual mileage. Gotta love the old 99 thousand speedos. If someones word was good enough credit, then we would live in the perfect world. Save your money and go buy one that's finished for 10 g's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: