Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear light wiring! annoying!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy8R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X10!!! Get a multi-meter (Volts, Ohms, Amps)

Follow the steps I outlined on your previous post regarding this problem. YOU HAVE A GROUND PROBLEM BETWEEN THE BULB HOUSING AND THE MAIN BODY OF THE CAR!!!

Could be between the socket and the lens housing, could be between the lens housing and the fender, and it could be between the fender and the body - BUT IT IS A GROUND PROBLEM.

In your original post you said two of the lights did not work. After you proved it wasn't the bulbs you test for voltage at the terminal inside the respective bulb socket(s). If there is 10-12 volts present when the bulb should be illuminated the only thing left is the ground.

Now before you ask, 'then why would any bulb work on the right rear?' I'll tell you first that I don't know but the working bulb is "finding" a path to ground somehow. I had this EXACT problem before, twice, and the problem was the ground. The procedure I have outlined is just good troubleshooting. When dealing with electrical problems you need to follow a logical, methodical process from one point to the other and if you do you'll find the problem every time. Good luck, and try not to get too frustrated.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=394287&highlight=
Ronny Bailey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puttin slow wrote:
Multimeter/voltage meter would be helpful to see if your even getting power back there.
x2
You can get a simple digital meter for less than $20.
They're easy to use and can save a lot of time when you're chasing down electrical problems.
puttin slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burn it. no j/k if the above said doesn't work then you need a voltage meter to see whats going on as far as power. 99% of my electrical problems were from a bad ground so REALLY start there. Scratch the paint off, use sand paper. What ever you have to do, do it. Multimeter/voltage meter would be helpful to see if your even getting power back there.
VW4DW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive tried all of that =[
Boom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its dirty connectors probably where the bulb grounds in the socket try cleaning the socket up and twisting the light several times, it fixed mine when I had the problem

67 Chubby White Chic

Düg Büg

dLk
dakdak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i've tried just about everything!
okay so, 98% of my lights work now.
except for rear right brake light. All the turn signals work including the rear right one. how can i fix this?
any ideas?

ive tried hooking up a wire from the left brake light wire to the right brake wire, and when i do that, i can actually get BOTH brake lights working, except when the right turn signal is on!!

so frustrating!!

Try the grounding of the reflector to the housing. I had this problem, and cleaned the tab on the reflector where it goes into the housing, and just bent it that little bit more to give it better grounding. Also, try the electrical tabs the light bulb makes contact with. Just a little bend towards the light bulb base to give better contact.

See how you go, and let us know.

Cheers

JFK
VW4DW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: rear light wiring! annoying! Reply with quote

i've tried just about everything!
okay so, 98% of my lights work now.
except for rear right brake light. All the turn signals work including the rear right one. how can i fix this?
any ideas?

ive tried hooking up a wire from the left brake light wire to the right brake wire, and when i do that, i can actually get BOTH brake lights working, except when the right turn signal is on!!

so frustrating!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: