Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

yeppers I remember the Cal style, boy were they cool then, one piece windows!!! Wink mirrors, now they are laughable and hideous......

having been born and raised in LA it's good to see a lot of my hometown city's mentioned but Huntington Park,!! wow talk about rough, moved in with my dad and went to Nimitz for one year and it was tough... can't imagine it now

good times back then though, man has LA and the world as we know it changed Confused
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
yeppers I remember the Cal style, boy were they cool then, one piece windows!!! Wink mirrors, now they are laughable and hideous......

having been born and raised in LA it's good to see a lot of my hometown city's mentioned but Huntington Park,!! wow talk about rough, moved in with my dad and went to Nimitz for one year and it was tough... can't imagine it now

good times back then though, man has LA and the world as we know it changed Confused

You must be talking about a "Cal Look" VW. 63 VW Notch because there were some guys that took their que from the magazines like Hot VW's or VW Trends in our east side LA neighborhoods..........But not us "Chicano" Cal Style guys. We did not use wink mirrors or 1 piece windows, that was an Orange County or farther you got out of LA thing. We were influenced by the lowriders in our neighborhoods. We were buying are NOS original parts from the first restoration parts house for VW in the US. Vintage VW Parts behind Dodger Stadium and keeping the VW's all original like lowrider Bomba's, especially the mirrors which set our Vintage style VW's apart. Your right about H.P. being rough back then. I lost 8 chidhood friends to the violent madness growing up there.
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Sambanistas! Time for some more Los Angeles 1980's VW party and cruise scene history. As I said before the LA Volkswagen culture and party, cruise scene was a way of life for us Los Angeles teens from the South East, East and North East side of LA coming of age during those times. We were the first generation to get away from the 1970's gang wars and Lowrider car club wars we saw as young kids. All we wanted to do was party, have fun, cruise Elysian Park, Flat top, the Lodge, the Winery, scam on Cha Cha chicks, go to backyard house parties and our mode of transport during these times was our lowrider influenced Cal Style Volkswagens.

Our scene was an underground scene that combined Mobile DJ's, party promoters and their party flyers, with social party groups and crews and the pioneering Cal Style VW clubs that followed the Cha Cha chicks at these mobile DJ parties. Those VW clubs during these pioneering times of 1978-1984 were The "Bugs Buddies" syndicate who I was a part of and the Vintage Volksters C.C. We would hang out at GINOS II in Hollywood, The Center in Puente, The Copacabana in El Sereno, The Alexandria Hotel downtown LA and all the Mobile DJ dance places.

KCET in 2008 published a series of articles about that teen party scene in the East sides of LA. from the Mobile DJ and party promoter perspective. One of the pioneering DJ's John Guzman is my friend and back then was Mobile DJ "Face to Face". John was a fellow Vdubber back then as many mobile DJ's were including Victor Aleman from mobile DJ "Black Tie". We all knew each other from this social party and cruise scene. Below are the links to the articles that will really give an insight to our LA teen culture during these times in chronological order. Watch the videos clips and listen to the audio music mixes.

Well known DJ Frank Del Rio who I watched DJing and spin practice as a kid in Huntington Park and my friend John Guzman "Face to Face" are mentioned and featured in these mini documentaries from KCET including Johns music mixes from back then that drove the dance scene including the mixtapes that us Vdubbers would get from our DJ friends and play while cruising the Volkswagens.

https://www.kcet.org/history-society/backyard-part...california

https://www.kcet.org/history-society/backyard-parties-1970s-temporary-discotheque

https://www.kcet.org/history-society/backyard-parties-1980s-east-las-dj-culture

https://www.kcet.org/history-society/backyard-parties-1990s-party-out-of-bounds

https://www.kcet.org/history-society/backyard-parties-2000s-post-backyard
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

you guys are a few years older then, I'm 46 and lived in that area until '82.. then moving east to Pomona..While I remember the era and scene you're talking about I was obviously to young to drive and was into popping until about '82.. you probably remember The Midnight Poppers , Knights of the Round Table from that area, well that was my scene back then..

'82 and after was caught up by the heavy metal scene and later became part of the big hair bands and played the Hollywood Circuit... iirc Ginositol was a pizza place and sold a slice of pie the size of NYC for 75cents.... Unless I'm thinking of Graziano's, maybe Hollywood/Vine.... Good times back then...
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
you guys are a few years older then, I'm 46 and lived in that area until '82.. then moving east to Pomona..While I remember the era and scene you're talking about I was obviously to young to drive and was into popping until about '82.. you probably remember The Midnight Poppers , Knights of the Round Table from that area, well that was my scene back then..

'82 and after was caught up by the heavy metal scene and later became part of the big hair bands and played the Hollywood Circuit... iirc Ginositol was a pizza place and sold a slice of pie the size of NYC for 75cents.... Unless I'm thinking of Graziano's, maybe Hollywood/Vine.... Good times back then...

63 vwnotch Yup a little older we were High School classes of 1979-1984. I was class of 1983 and one of the younger kids of our Vintage Cal Style VW scene, hence the moniker VW KIDD stuck to me back then.
As a pop locker back then you must have known the Siberian Knights duo from Huntington Park. I remember Knights of the round table. So you must have also hung out at the Pop lock/break dance mecca Radiotron near MacArthur Park LA. The Vdubs used to cruise that place too.
You said earlier you attended Nimitz junior high then you remember Gage Bowl and across the street Gage Auto body that did all the custom high end Candy, Flakes and Pearls paint jobs and across from them on the other corner a VW shop called H & H.
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

yep remember all the above, I used to walk to gage bowl for my video game fix of donkey kong Laughing I was in MNP and a couple guys I knew were in the movie Break Dance, while I was decent they were on another level altogether... I never liked the Cal look but honestly say I admire the Cal Style... and the brutal truth I never knew the difference until now Embarassed but there is obviously a HUGE difference..
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

I recently pulled out my Lowrider Magazines from the early 1980's that I used to collect back then and came across a picture of an outlaw Bugs Buddie C.C. Syndicate associate Vintage Cal Style Vert at an East Los Angeles Car Show summer of 1982. This picture was taken in 1982 and is in the Jan 1983 issue. This was owned by a guy we called "Farmer" and if you look closely you can see the 'Bugs Buddies" signature Playboy Bunny Air Freshener hanging from the rear view mirror. The Air Freshener hanging from the rear view mirror was the only tell that the VW was a Bugs Buddies Syndicate affiliated car and was to be left alone and not stolen. As you can see the Los Angeles Vintage Cal Style was still in its pioneer years of 1979-1984 and was still a regional East Sides of Los Angeles thing during this time. The farther out you went from inner city Los Angeles you would see "Hybrid" De-Chrome Cal Look/Cal Style VW's that had 1 piece windows, after market mirrors, dechromed but be "slammed" with chrome or polished Porsche alloys but in our East Side LA Neighborhoods during this time with the help of Vintage Volkswagen Parts, Glendale, we were striclty all about Vintage correct Low Rider "Bomba" influenced all original slammed Volkswagens with subtle chrome accessories. The style that has endured the test of time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
I recently pulled out my Lowrider Magazines from the early 1980's that I used to collect back then and came across a picture of an outlaw Bugs Buddie C.C. Syndicate associate Vintage Cal Style Vert at an East Los Angeles Car Show summer of 1982. This picture was taken in 1982 and is in the Jan 1983 issue. This was owned by a guy we called "Farmer" and if you look closely you can see the 'Bugs Buddies" signature Playboy Bunny Air Freshener hanging from the rear view mirror. The Air Freshener hanging from the rear view mirror was the only tell that the VW was a Bugs Buddies Syndicate affiliated car and was to be left alone and not stolen. As you can see the Los Angeles Vintage Cal Style was still in its pioneer years of 1979-1984 and was still a regional East Sides of Los Angeles thing during this time. The farther out you went from inner city Los Angeles you would see "Hybrid" De-Chrome Cal Look/Cal Style VW's that had 1 piece windows, after market mirrors, dechromed but be "slammed" with chrome or polished Porsche alloys but in our East Side LA Neighborhoods during this time with the help of Vintage Volkswagen Parts, Glendale, we were striclty all about Vintage correct Low Rider "Bomba" influenced all original slammed Volkswagens with subtle chrome accessories. The style that has endured the test of time.

Thats a mic drop right there! Cool
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

A little bit of Cal Style history about the VW Syndicate The Bugs Buddies I have talked about in this tread early on. The Bugs Buddies wasn't a car club but a Syndicate of VW heads that was deep in the LA mobile DJ party and Cruise scene going back to 1979.

A holy grail score for me today. This Harry Hill frame and insert is not only rare but has sentimental value for me too. The original outlaw VW syndicate The Bugs Buddies members from Puente would run these and the Bugs Buddies members from Huntington Park like myself would run Nick Alexander frames & inserts until our DMV issued plates would come in. This actual frame & Insert was owned by an OG Bugs Buddie member, Raul who had them on his ghia vert back in the early 1980s & then went to another OG Bugs Buddie member Tony H, and then to another OG VW & Lowrider homie Conrad who turned them on to me. A very personal addition to my collection of frames! #vw_kidd #bugsbuddies #originaloutlaws

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Early on this thread I mentioned the 2 Clubs in the pioneer years of the Chicano Cal Style era from 1979-1984 that were influential and well known in the LA Mobile DJ, party & cruise scene. They were the Original Outlaw VW Syndicate the Bugs Buddies and the Vintage Volksters C.C. The Bugs Buddies Syndicate preferred performance engines with dual carbs, accessorized and dumped on polished Porsche alloys, while the Vintage Volksters were also accessorized Vintage style but slammed on stock smoothies and mainly stock engines with pea shooters. The Vintage Volksters tire of choice was the Remington 520x15 bias ply 5/8" thin whitewall because of the lowrider influence and look of the 520x13 Remington favored by the them. Back then we called that style rollin on "gangster whitewalls" and later the full whitewall as used today would become the standard around 1984-85 ish but back in the early 1980's it was all about the thin whitewall.

The picture below is some of the Vintage Volksters parked at Elysian Park, Los Angeles at the Palm Trees were all the cruising and teen social scene centered around back then.

You can see in this picture below Robert H's. grey primer'd ragtop lowered on whitewalls with pre 1949 Big VW logo caps with Red paint detail bought from Bob Scott at Vintage Volkswagen Parts in Glendale. Behind it is Lenny from Frogtown's Oval that you can see with Bunny's 58 ragtop from Echo Park.

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
A little bit of Cal Style history about the VW Syndicate The Bugs Buddies I have talked about in this tread early on. The Bugs Buddies wasn't a car club but a Syndicate of VW heads that was deep in the LA mobile DJ party and Cruise scene going back to 1979.

A holy grail score for me today. This Harry Hill frame and insert is not only rare but has sentimental value for me too. The original outlaw VW syndicate The Bugs Buddies members from Puente would run these and the Bugs Buddies members from Huntington Park like myself would run Nick Alexander frames & inserts until our DMV issued plates would come in. This actual frame & Insert was owned by an OG Bugs Buddie member, Raul who had them on his ghia vert back in the early 1980s & then went to another OG Bugs Buddie member Tony H, and then to another OG VW & Lowrider homie Conrad who turned them on to me. A very personal addition to my collection of frames! #vw_kidd #bugsbuddies #originaloutlaws

A guy named Ernesto who worked at Harry Hill painted my sister's '69 auto stcik Ghia. He layed 8 coats of back enamel.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Here is another picture from the early pioneer years of the LA Vintage Cal Style VW's. In Huntington Park during this time early 1980s' it was the hot bed of lowriding and "slammed" all original VW's with some help of me personally lowering the majority of them in the South East area. This picture was of a cool LA DJ party and cruise fellow H.P. friend named Mariano who live on Live Oak St. that was good friends of Rene Ruelas who built the first true slammed Cal Style Ghia on polished "heart" Porsche Alloys in 1979. Rene hooked up Mariano with this clean Ghia vert around 1983. Sounds crazy but back then we would trade VW's within our VW Syndicate and build cars for each other just so all of us would have clean cars to cruise the LA teen hot spots like Elysian Park and Whittier Blvd.

Mariano is no longer with us but this cool pic of him in 1983 and his lowered all original Ghia Vert that was NOT aspiring to be a de-chromed Cal Look ghia will be added to our LA Cal Style Archives.

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
Sambanistas time for another L.A. Cal Style story. Here is a picture of Jaime Lopez from the mid 1980s, who I and many other LA VDubbers that were in the VW cruising and LA party scene during those early pioneer years of the Vintage Cal-Style (Resto-Cal) 1978-through the mid 1980's consider the Vintage VW parts Dubfather. Jaime is recognized by the pioneering Vintage Cal Style guys in the East Sides of Los Angeles during this time as the person along with Rene Ruelas of the Dukes lowrider family & Bugs Buddies VW Syndicate as the person who without a doubt fueled the growth and spreading of our Latino inner city way of personalizing an air-cooled VW. Guys like myself will always respect, appreciate and thank Jaime for his contribution back then working for Bob Scott at Vintage VW Glendale and later KDF Enterprises. He was sourcing rare NOS parts for our Vintage low rider influenced Cal-Style rides way before there was a Wolfsburg West, a Bugs for You, and many other restoration parts supply houses that are around today. No doubt he will be one of the main players in a video documentary in the works (a contrast to the OC Cal look "Older & Faster" documentary) of the origins and impact today of the L.A. Cal-Style that's worldwide and the most popular way to fix up a Vdub that has indured for almost 40 years going back to 1978. Today Jaime is doing his thing at Koch's restorations and if you ever see him at any of the VW shows or swaps just know that he is the reason you see clean slammed all original Vintage VW's on smoothies or polished Fuch alloys today. Guys from Echo Park, Highland Park, Huntington Park, Cypress Park, Lincoln Heights, Pico Rivera, Latino South Central all can agree that Jaime supplying us with the chrome original bling vintage VW parts back then was able to impact a generation of teens in the 1980's LA cruise and party scene.

Another Image of Jaime and his homie John cruising LA in a lowered Vintage Cal Style Vert early 1980s. where you can see the lowrider "Bomba" influences.

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Hey Sambanistas! Been a bit since I dropped another 80s Los Angeles Cal Style story. Early on in this tread I have always said that the Vintage VW's coming out of inner city Los Angeles during the periods of 1978 on where different then the Orange County Cal Look. In the Pioneer years starting around 1978 our cars where influenced by the Lowriders we saw in our neighborhoods growing up. We wanted the chrome, originality and flash like the Impalas and Bomba's we saw around us. Many of us had direct first hand experiences with the Lowriding community like myself having family in Brown Breed C.C, Majestics C.C. and The Dukes C.C. back then. In my South East Huntington Park neighborhood alone during the 1970s and 1980s I would see Lowrider car club plaques besides the ones I already mentioned from Old Memories C.C., Imperials C.C., Groupe C.C., Amigos C.C. Lifestyle C.C. Sauve C.C. (all VW lowrider club). It was a very influential time for me with lowriders.
So people from other parts of the country and world sometimes ask me why are the LA Cal Style cars reffered to as "Cal Style" instead of resto-cal. Well lets put this in perspective. when we started "slamming: all original Vintage Volkswagens on stock smoothies then a little later Fuch Porsche alloys the cars were still fairly new in the late 1970s & early 1980s and considered just daily driver used cars. These cars didn't need restorations and in fact there really wasn't any restoration parts houses in the USA besides Bob Scott's Vintage VW parts est. early 1970's in our greater Los Angeles area. There was "Bugs For You" in OC which started around 1983-84 If I remember correctly but these parts houses were the exception not the norm like today. During these times I personally was all over So-Cal cruising my LA Cal Style VW's. and many times when i left out of my LA neighborhoods my VW's would get much attention because of them being for one, extremely lowered all round for the times (my lowrider influence) and the simple fact that I was accessorizing and celebrating the chrome and originality of a Vintage VW (again my lowrider roots influence) when in SO-Cal during this time at all the shows the 80s wild paint schemes and dechromed, custom interiors was all the rage and the norm. I was seeking out NOS trim, accessories and mirrors back then from Jaime Lopez at Vintage VW Parts and KDF Ent. for my Cal Style builds. So like I said earlier I was all over SO-Cal cruising my different for the times all original Vintage VW's slammed on polished Alloys, OG 5 Spokes, OG polished BRMs. For comparison check out my East Coast buddies FB page that has many pics of the So-Cal Golden Years of air-cooled VW's https://www.facebook.com/groups/80scustomvws/

Recently a friend of mine Manny H. who was also a big time VW head and cruiser in Los Angeles during this time found some pics of one of my Cal Style Verts at a car show. (not sure which show but I think it was at Jerry's VW heaven). These are pics of my Black 1959 Convertible that has been mounted on fully polished 901 deep "heart" fuchs, OG 2 piece fully polished 5 spoke EMPI's, I even installed my rare OG EMPI BRM's for a few days on this one, and also rolled a set of paint coded OG VW steel smoothies depending on the mood I was in to go cruise. I always wanted my US spec VW's to look Euro Spec back then and would buy NOS Genuine European Bumpers from Vintage Volkswagen Parts Inc. I also would change up engines. This vert has seen installed a stock 36hp, a 1500cc 67 single port, a Dual Port 1600cc, and performance 1776cc, 2110cc all IDA equipped. This particular 1959 Convertible I built and cruised in the summer of 1983 and these first two pics were taken 2 years later in the summer of 1985.

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451

Last edited by vwkidd on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Another Los Angeles Cal Style story.
The Pioneer years for our LA Vintage Cal Style (an all original NOT de-chromed and extreme lowered for the time, chrome accessorized Vintage VW on Smoothies or Polished Fuch Porsche Alloys) was 1978-1984. During this time our style of VW was new and not the norm or a popular way to personalize a VW back then. Restorations were not really needed on these cars so the market for restoration parts was scarce during the pioneer years. During this time in inner city LA around 1984-85 the Mini Trucks were starting to gain traction as the trendy ride to have and many LA VW Cal Styler's with the lowrider influence jumped ship to the mini trucks and took the VW Cal Style and lowrider ques with them. Back then the LA mini trucks just like the LA Cal Style VW's were unique and different for the times. The mini trucks had the blinged out Porsche alloys, the ragtops installed on their Snug Top shells and the hydro juiced beds, all influences of the lowriders and Cal Style VW's.

These pictures our from one of the Pioneers of the LA Cal Style VW and LA Mobile DJ party and cruise scene, Tony Hernandez. He along with myself were members of the notorious original outlaw VW Syndicate "The Bugs Buddies" one of the pioneering VW clubs along with the "Vintage Volksters" back then.

Here is Echo Park Tony's Oval Ragtop slammed on Gangster whitewalls with Lemmerz Karmann beauty rings in 1983.

Here is Tony's 1960 Cal Style vert slammed on 901 deep "heart" Porsche Lloyds as we called them back then. Pic taken at Elysian Park in 1984 a popular LA teen cruise spot.

Here is Tony's 1959 Cal Style Vert slammed on smoothies with paint coded Big VW Logo hubcaps, euro eye lid headlights and original VW fender guards from Bob Scott, Vintage Volkswagen Parts, Inc. Pic taken in 1984 at Arroyo Seco Park another popular teen cruise spot in LA.

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451

Last edited by vwkidd on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Does anyone remember a VW shop called Johnnys in South Gate? Not to be confused with Johnnys Speed and Chrome in Buena Park...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

For sure it was one of my Buddies shop back then that built engines and did Cal Look modifications (probably why the Johnny's Speed and Chrome looking font) It was on Atlantic blvd near Firestone near South Gate park. It was there from about 1984 to approx 1988. It was next door to another VW buddies shop a detail business called "Chubs Rub", he was known as "Chubby" hence the name. Johnny and Chubby were good friends back then and they were affiliated with a Huntington Park, Florence/Graham VW club called the "Baby Boyz" who I knew all very well and hung out with after the Bugs Buddies Syndicate was forced to break up.

1984 Lowrider Magazine pic of me and a Baby Boyz C.C. cruising Whittier Blvd.

disneyherbie wrote:
Does anyone remember a VW shop called Johnnys in South Gate? Not to be confused with Johnnys Speed and Chrome in Buena Park...

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the info VW KIDD. Gonna do my part to keep the 80s Cal Style scene alive here in Pennsylvania. (Like Bob. LOL) Car is getting picked up and I should have it next week. Gonna do more of a preservation than a restoration. Definitely am going to recreate that Baby Boyz club logo for the quarter window too...

Here’s a better pic of the original Johnnys decal complete with the address you mentioned...

I’ll do my best to preserve the original painted logos on the decklid...

I tagged you on Instagram too btw. My username is “vdubber4life” I’ll be updating the build/preservation as it progresses...
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

Some crazy good times and stories from back then with that shop and my time hanging out with the Baby Boyz C.C. Who are all still good friends to me to this day.
Next time you are out here in LA we can sit down and I can tell you all about it in person.

disneyherbie wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info VW KIDD. Gonna do my part to keep the 80s Cal Style scene alive here in Pennsylvania. (Like Bob. LOL) Car is getting picked up and I should have it next week. Gonna do more of a preservation than a restoration. Definitely am going to recreate that Baby Boyz club logo for the quarter window too...

Here’s a better pic of the original Johnnys decal complete with the address you mentioned...

I tagged you on Instagram too btw. My username is “vdubber4life” I’ll be updating the build/preservation as it progresses...

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE Reply with quote

First round of cervezas on me... 🍻🌮
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 87 of 89

Jump to: