Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical chaos in steering column
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Electrical chaos in steering column Reply with quote

I'm driving back from running errands today when the first problem occurred. I would begin getting random beeps from the horn when turning corners. Okay, so something is out of whack with the horn ring contacts, I can deal with that. I'm about a mile from home when it started doing this and it's raining like crazy, so I figure I'll just get home and deal with it later. As I drive, I'm getting more and more beeps, and I can hear the "popping" sound of the short, and it seems like it is increasing in volume as I drive. As I'm pulling into my driveway, a louder pop, and the van dies. I drift down the driveway and shut her down.

Key off and removed. Uhh, wipers still going, and heater blower still going. I click the heater switch off, and then the wiper stalk into the off position, and everything is off now.

So, to recap, in the span of 5 minutes, my horn shorts, my ignition dies, and now my blower and wipers no longer seem to stop with ignition off.

Ahh, the joys of electrical gremlins.

Too much rain today to deal with it, I'll tackle it later this week.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the windshield seal may be leaking. The x relay powers those accessories. The X relay is energized by the ignition switch. These accessories cut off while cranking the engine to eliminate electrical load. Either the relay stuck on, or the ignition switch/wiring is at fault. Water makes a good connector.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, something to look at. It was raining like hades that day.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: