Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, that's some IMPRESSIVE fab work. I do have one question, what will the old engine bay now look like? Will it be sealed up, like some kind of trunk, or? Ok, one more question, is the back seat going in again? Is there even room above the new engine (which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!!)?
Rigamortiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely stunning work!
SBS UK #72 FNG

'65 Kombi (Daily driver)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy...I opened this thread expecting the worst....although I shed a couple of tears for the poor old double cab...the mad fabrication skills have replaced my frown with a big smile. Nice job.

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjonas wrote:
Boy...I opened this thread expecting the worst....although I shed a couple of tears for the poor old double cab...the mad fabrication skills have replaced my frown with a big smile. Nice job.

Eh, no big deal. At least it wasn't a Binz! Twisted Evil
dubulup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice...I like
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats is amazing work. Are yall going to make use of the old engine bay space for anything.?
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive welds.

this thread reminds me of the 4,341 people who have said this to me:
"hey did you know you can put a Porsche engine in there"

Eriba Puck Sticky
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving this thread!

Gives me some ideas and hints for my crewcab too.. Wink
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Area51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
Gives me some ideas and hints for my crewcab too.. Wink

Me too !!

Going to collect a complete 964 C4 drivetrain (minus engine and gearbox) in a couple of hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
artie325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly excellent work! That suspension sick! I would love to see a video of this thing running.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

The old engine bay will be closed in with sheet aluminum and become a trunk of sorts.

I am going to build a new seat base using foam as a cushion and sheet aluminum for a firewall on the engine side. the seat back might be custom as well with headrests, or modify the original.

The front suspension is set for now but I know Seth could design and build a awesome front A arm setup, got to leave something for future mods.
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing fab work, top notch for sure.

but,

the ride hieght(stance) and tire sizes make it look like ass.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twisted Minis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
amazing fab work, top notch for sure.

but,

the ride hieght(stance) and tire sizes make it look like ass.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it will be going down like 2 inches. The suspension is set up to travel the way he wants with all pieces set centered for a neutral adjustment point. Everything can be adjusted from here. I believe he will be going with softer springs as well, because I think the coil overs came with 400 lbs springs. It's pretty stiff as it sits, since it still has the torsions acting with the coil overs.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Hey Seth, funny you just replied to that point as I just came back from my shop doing a suspension tune.
I put some 220# springs on the front and dropped the beam a notch and its sitting perfect.(wether 220# is the correct rate will have to wait for the test drive!)
I pulled the torsion bars last night and tested range of travel of the rear suspension and its spot on at 7" from full droop to full compression.
Now I know where you can build the bump stops.
I am going to adjust the rear torsion splines to set the rear height, keeping the 400# coil springs as a starting point.

The tire/ wheel combo is 7" et55 16" with Toyo TR1 215/40
rear are 8" et52 16" with Toyo TR1 245/45 factory Porsche cup 1's.
Tire sizes in 16" wheel size is shrinking rapidly, I would have rather run 245/40 on the back and 225/40 fronts, but the back tire rolling diameter is just a little smaller than the stock 944s2 for a little more low end, plus I expect my top speed to be only around 145m.p.h. due to aerodynamic restrictions!
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Oh, and I agree it does look like ass in that photo!
Twisted Minis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the bell crank is working perfectly if you are getting 7 inches of travel at the wheel.
RennyRB
Samba Textbook Gangsta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is sexy! Keep it up.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Minis wrote:
Sounds like the bell crank is working perfectly if you are getting 7 inches of travel at the wheel.

So is the point of bell cranks just to fit a longer suspension part in there sideways? Or is it just to say "look at that!" Laughing They are pretty cool.
Twisted Minis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
Twisted Minis wrote:

So is the point of bell cranks just to fit a longer suspension part in there sideways? Or is it just to say "look at that!" Laughing They are pretty cool.

The shocks he bought have a max of 4" of travel, and they also have that built in bump stop which probably will limit that travel even more. We couldn't get that sucker to compress very much. So the shock doesn't really travel enough, you would be either bottoming it out or limiting your droop a lot depending on where the ride height was and how it was set up (the front will probably be a little bit like this, droop wise it doesn't seem like it has enough, if I had not moved the shock down it would have had 3/4" of droop from ride height). He wanted more travel at the wheel, so the bell crank has a 1.5:1 ratio on it, which would give approximately 6" of travel at the shock mounting point on the arm. Since that point is inboard from the wheel about 8 or 10 inches, I knew we would get a little bit more travel at the wheel than at the shock mounting point. I just hoped that number would be 6.5 to 7 inches with the bump stop in there, since we never fully cycled the suspension here at the shop.

So in short, the bell crank is there to provide more travel than the shock could ever dream of doing in a normal set up.

Since it is on a ratio it will slightly soften things, so it will probably end up with a slightly stiffer spring rate than a traditionally mounted shock would in order to achieve the same load capacity. But the shock itself doesn't care, it will still work just the same. The shock only sees this as moving slower, which means it's never going to start fading (you would have to work a Bilstein pretty fast to get shock fade anyway).

Normally when I play with bell cranks it is just for relocation sake. So this was fun to get to play with ratios and angles of the shock and connecting link rod to get the desired travel numbers. Right now I am designing one for a guys front suspension, because his wheel is hitting the shock in turns and is still about 3" from the frame, so it's limiting his turning abilities. So what I will do is similar to this here, I will run a link bar as tight to the control arms as possible, and it will have a bell crank that will put a Bilstein shock horizontal above the control arms to get them out of the way.
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing amount of fabrication and engineering. Well done Sirs!

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: