Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft Pitting
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnocean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Camshaft Pitting Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone had an opinion on how pitting on the cam is too much. Bought this motor used and hoped to replace my the motor in my '79 Cal Bus. The motor in the pictures is a Vanagon 2.0 with 81,000 miles on it. What about replacing pistons, cylinders, oil pump and leaving cam as is? Motor appears to be solid , no slop. I would use the heads from the 2.0 in my Bay and other parts that fit.

Pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/pnoceanwesty/AardvarkAtMikeWhartonS?authkey=Gv1sRgCOaP5-vmkLPuEg#

Thanks for any advice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always replace the stock cam and lifters Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagon engine with 81K miles is not likely to be worth many more miles. vanagon engines are the hardest working of any type 4. they are all hydraulic and eat cams, the heads are awful for losing seats and developing cracks.

Last edited by germansupplyscott on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GusC2it wrote:

And preferably not with a stock cam! Wink
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnskmobi wrote:
GusC2it wrote:

Performance-wise or longevity-wise?

Since I was never in a rush, I sought after the oem camshafts and lifters so I could enjoy 200,000 miles of blessed reliability and matched wear.
When I got my FEBI lifters and aftermarket camshaft (with new fresher profiles!) I couldn't get 80,000 lousy thousand miles before they looked like a moonscape.
Colin
pnocean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagon engine with 81K miles is not likely to be worth many more miles

I only average about 2000 miles per year on camping trips. No hot rodding, just 62 mph - point A to point B driving to get around the campfire.

Based on the look of the cam, anyone think I could get a couple years out this motor while doing a full rebuild on the old one or buy a good rebuilt?

The motor has decent compression - between 100 to 125 all the way around. It ran fine when I bought it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
mnskmobi wrote:
GusC2it wrote:

Performance-wise or longevity-wise?

Since I was never in a rush, I sought after the oem camshafts and lifters so I could enjoy 200,000 miles of blessed reliability and matched wear.
When I got my FEBI lifters and aftermarket camshaft (with new fresher profiles!) I couldn't get 80,000 lousy thousand miles before they looked like a moonscape.
Colin

If it has new and/or fresher cam profiles...its NOT an OEM cam. It was made a good deal later than during the original production phase of the vehciles. Stock type 4 cams already had some issues from the factory. They were not ideal. Some could last 200k miles with great care and perfect break in and tuning. Most others had bad wear patterns and were on the second set of lifters by 100k miles. A small portion ...crpaped out early...30-50k. I have not heard of any massive failures through...flat cam syndrome.

With all of the issues that have been clarified with type 4 cams over the past 5 years... the need for proper lifter to lobe geometry, proper lifter surface hardness, proper lobe hardness and smoothness for oiling purposes, proper face geometry to promote lifter spin, proper gudie dimesnions, spring pressures, pushrod geometry......and now...the issues of the fact that 90% of all oils on the market will destroy a flat tappet cam like ours during break-in because the additive packages necessary have been discontinued sstarting in 2007.......
.......and it comes down to the fact that if you find a set of cam and lifters that have been made by one of the several OEM manufacturers....and it has been made more recently than the late 70's....you will have no idea whether it was made under the QC supervision of and to the specs of...VW. It can and probably will have all of the above problems just like many other cams out there.

There are a handful of decent cam manufacturers out there that make cams for type 4's. Buy their cam, gear, lifters and lube.

And here is the issue right here in your post: Why would you pair a set of FEBI lifters with an aftermarket cam?
NEVER use lifters that are not paired to a cam by manufacturing process. If anyone trys to sell you a type 4 cam and does not sell matched...proven...lifters with it.....its about 90% likely that low miles and pitting will happen....if not death on break-in that many people have seen.
Then again....had the same thing happen in atlanta to a brand new OEM cam and lifters bought through automobile atlanta....at great expense to finish out a 914 1.7L . Everything was bone stock and perfectly done. The owner paid $$$ for a stock OEM in the box NEW cam and lifters. After 3500 miles....the lifters looked like cheese...metal everywhere.
This was early 90's. Even though the cam was all OEM and was a Porsche VW part....there is no way of knowing when it was made.

I'll be happy to send you pictures of my web 73 with matched lifters...and close to 90k miles on it. Smooth as the day it was born. Cam and lifters are spotless. It could easily run another 100k. I have not had any problems at all with high miles in "certain" aftermarket cams. But ALL of them have lifters matched and warranted to the cam.
At this point...I would only buy from Jake Raby, Aircooled.net or Webcam.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: