Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Coolant Pipe Repair Kit - How Does It Work?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: GoWesty Coolant Pipe Repair Kit - How Does It Work? Reply with quote

It seems like the week for coolant pipe questions so I'll post one of my own.

funagon wrote:
I think this is one of three current posts about coolant pipe metallurgy. I think it's a total non-issue. The plastic pipes are going to last long after the humans and cockroaches are extinct. The only problem with the plastic pipes is the loosening inserts, which can be permanently held in place with the gowesty kit that costs $50. Problem solved. No coolant loss, permanent pipes, no rust.

This quote from this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396556

has inspired me to ask the question, how does the GoWesty Kit work??

Here's a link to the kit:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3643&category_id=&category_parent_id=

and the library article and description:

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=113

I've looked at the GoWesty kit and have even installed it on one vanagon (although I re-glued the stock inserts back into the coolant pipe with glue that is impervious to coolant). The issue has never been that the stock insert works it's way further into it's respective rubber hose (the only thing the GoWesty kit will prevent), it has always been that the stock insert has pulled out of the coolant pipe allowing the rubber hose to pull off with it. On installing them I really thought about what they were doing to prevent the insert in the stock hose from coming loose and the rubber hose popping off and I came to the conclusion that they don't do anything except skillfully remove money from your wallet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In looking at their photo it seems obvious that the green spring clamp on the coolant pipe side is still simply holding the rubber hose to the stock pipe and the only thing holding it on is the stock pipe insert. The only thing the GoWesty kit does is give a fancy piece of brass that can be kissing the stock insert as the whole thing pulls out of the stock hose...

I'm happy to be wrong about this as it would be nice to have an easy solution that works and I certainly don't mind if it comes from GoWesty. Regardless, I would like someone to explain in detail the physics behind how the GoWesty inserts are supposed to exert any additional force to keep the stock insert in place.

I think a better and cheaper solution is to pull the stock inserts out, clean them and the pipes, smear with glue (I used Automotive Goop) and tap them back into place with a hammer. They'll be in place for another 30 years or more regardless of whether or not the GoWesty kit is there doing nothing.
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been building my spring to-do list and the GW inserts were initially a high priority. But, like you, I gave it some thought and couldn't really see how the brass inserts prevent the hose from coming off the coolant pipe if the plastic inserts let go. Arguably, if the plastic insert slips out, it will press against the brass one and the tension on the rubber coolant hose itself between the two clamps will take the pressure. Is that the idea?

I am curious if anyone has had a GW kit conclusively prevent a hose from letting go after the insert has popped out of the plastic line.

edited for wretched spelling and sentence structure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
Arguably, if the plastic insert slips out, it will press against the brass one and the tension on the rubber coolant hose itself between the two clamps will take the pressure. Is that the idea?

I can see that that is the idea behind the kit, but I can't see how it would work in that manner. The force that pulls the insert out of the stock pipe is the force of the rubber hose itself pulling on the stock insert. The fact that there is a brass insert further into the hose and clamped to it isn't doing anything to nullify that.
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

I have considering this exact topic on my own(when thinking about buying the kit) and have came to the same conclusions you have.

Is Automotive Goop the product name of the glue you used? I just may do that because have noticed them starting to come out.

Also, what did you do to extract the end from the plastic tube?
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

losing my mind....

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgargan wrote:
losing my mind....

It's over there.

vanagonjetta wrote:
Also, what did you do to extract the end from the plastic tube?

Yeah, that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used them and they work very well, its a good alternative...basically the brass buts up against the metal insert in the plastic tubing to keep it from moving via the clamps...so what youre suppose to do is if your metal insert is coming out dont force it back in it may collapse the line or crack it worse. youre suppose to use a heat gun or device similar heat up the plastic coolant tube warm enough to allow the metal insert to go back in..once in you insert the brass blocks into the hose not the coolant tubes..you slide them back far enough so when you join the hose and tubing they abutt each other, clamp each in place and voila the insert can no longer come on because the brass tubing is blocking its way...this will not work with a collapse tube or tube missing the metal insert...i was going to glue also but deciding against it those tubes get hot & i was afraid the adhesive would melt or peel away onto the rad and motor....its a cheap fix but it works...i thought over time the metal inserts come out not from force but from the tubes expanding and contracting they slid out a little at a time during the expansion process
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
ive used them and they work very well

Oh, so you definitely have a coolant pipe with a bad insert? And the GW kit really fixed it?

Good to know.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
you slide them back far enough so when you join the hose and tubing they abutt each other, clamp each in place and voila the insert can no longer come on because the brass tubing is blocking its way

Perhaps I haven't explained it very well, but what you describe will not work. I believe that if they have not been a problem since working on them, then it is because you replaced the insert into the coolant pipe in a better way.

I'll attempt a more thorough explanation.

When there is no brass insert, the rubber hose is clamped to the stock pipe and the hose and clamp pull on the insert. The insert never moves further into the hose, but rather stays exactly where it is in relation to the rubber hose and is pulled out of the coolant pipe as the rubber hose slides off the outside. This process takes about 20 years... Now imagine the same scenario with the brass insert in the rubber hose, but inserted a little too far so there is a 1/4" gap between the brass insert and the stock insert in the plastic pipe. As the stock insert is pulled out of the coolant pipe, the gap will remain a constant 1/4". Now imagine the scenario where there is no gap. In that scenario, the brass insert will not be exerting any force to keep the stock insert in place but rather will move with the insert as it gets pulled from the coolant hose.

Again, bear in mind that the rubber hose is basically held in place by the clamp that is securing it against the stock plastic insert. Another way to show how the GoWesty inserts are doing nothing beneficial is to imagine the following scenario. With the stock insert removed from the stock coolant pipe, insert the brass insert into the hose and then insert the stock insert right behind until it butts against the brass insert. place a clamp on the brass insert and another clamp around the nub of the stock insert. Insert and remove the stock insert into the coolant pipe and I'm sure you'll see what I'm saying.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, heating the tube with a heat gun or hair drier is the preferable way of removing.

vanagonjetta wrote:
Is Automotive Goop the product name of the glue you used? I just may do that because have noticed them starting to come out.

Yes, it is available at most hardware stores including the Home Depot. I've used it in many applications and it seems to be impervious to most if not all automotive fluids. I haven't tried it with brake fluid or ATF, but have used it with diesel, gasoline, coolant, etc. I've had some soaking in diesel fuel for 5 years and it is unaffected. I've also used it in other applications where it has gotten as hot as the coolant gets and it has been unaffected. As always YMMV.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the oem inserts back in place and put a SS pop-rivit where the clamp covers anyways.
if they have enough expansion power to sever the SS rivit, then what's anything gunna do Eh?

cost about free, i always seem to have more loose pop rivits then I ever really need or use. so they must be free(range) in my garage.

now lets get back to talkin about my SS rivit recharging my batteries while I'm on the highway Rolling Eyes

Dan in NY
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key to the GW kit is that the hose is clamped onto the plastic pipe and not the steel insert. Push the rubber hose on far enough that the clamp is on the pipe, then the two clamps hold it together as an assembly. That's the only way I see it working.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
I am curious if anyone has had a GW kit conclusively prevent a hose from letting go after the insert has popped out of the plastic line.

But that wouldn't tell you anything. Because you don't know for sure what's "conclusively" preventing the hose from letting go. A better question would be if anyone HAS had a hose let go after installing the Gowesty kit. I haven't heard of it happening, and I'd like to know if it has.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed this kit about 3 years ago. One of my inserts had come out of the pipe by about an inch. I heated the insert with a heat gun and pounded it back in place with a rubber mallet. After installing the kit I periodically sqeeze the hose to check and the insert on the pipe is still where I left it. The brass piece is keeping the insert on the pipe from moving forward by basically pushing back on it, pretty simple.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
The force that pulls the insert out of the stock pipe is the force of the rubber hose itself pulling on the stock insert.

I disagree with this statement and I think this is the key. I don't think anything at all is pulling on the insert, it just works its way out due to heat and vibration over time. The black hose slips off the coolant pipe only because, after the insert is gone, the clamp pressure deforms the plastic coolant pipe. The insert is there to provide something solid to clamp against. While it's working its way out the black hose is not necessarily moving much, if at all. Only in the absence of the insert does the white coolant line give or relax enough to allow the clamp to move.

With the Gowesty kit the thing that holds everything in place is the inboard clamp, the same thing that holds it together without the gowesty kit. But with the kit, the insert can't move. The main inboard clamp provides multiple functions: holding the black hose on the white coolant line, and also holding everything else in place.

Last edited by funagon on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Libby on this one. cant see how it would do anything. I've looked at them before and pondered how they could have any effect.

Maybe someone who has them could remove the brass pieces and see if it has any adverse effects. If the inserts come back out after the brass pieces are removed then we'll know that GoWesty has some serious voodoo going on that I just don't understand .
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried this, but having made parts of my Subaru Vanagon cooling system from 1.25 copper pipe, it looks like you could create your own version of this piece by cutting a short section of 1.25 copper pipe and sweating/soldering a thin copper wire bead around each end to re-create the rolled bead of the GW unit. On my 85 the 1.25 pipe just fits inside the 1.5 hoses with a bit of "persuasion"; in fact it's tight enough I doubt you'd need to clamp it to keep it from wandering.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14.5 psi of coolant pressure is acting on the junction of the rubber hose and plastic coolant pipe. That is the force that pulls the rubber hose off the coolant pipe. The nub of the insert greatly adds to the resistance of the hose pulling off the coolant pipe and so the coolant pressure via the rubber hose actually pulls primarily on the insert itself and is the force that pulls the insert out of the coolant pipe. The brass insert clamped inward of the stock insert is just along for the ride and doing nothing to keep the insert in the coolant pipe. The brass insert is kinda like a kid in a snuggly when the parent is in a tug of war...

I don't think I'll make any additional attempts to explain the forces involved. As you were...
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy permanent fix is simply to drill a hole through the center of the tube and hose, insert small brass bolt with washers and locking nut, goop around it to prevent leaks, and tighten it down. That in combination with a clamp will hold it forever. Well, almost.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't readily explain what forces cause the insert to come out. When I have put them back in they have stayed. The coolant pressure can't have much to do with it as the pressure is going to be almost the same on both ends of the insert, just a tiny difference do to flow losses.

I wonder if part of the problem may be that some inserts may not have been installed fully at the factory and in general these are the only ones we see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: