Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Inspection Hole? Cover??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Clutch Inspection Hole? Cover?? Reply with quote

So.. I was hitting my starter with a hammer today and noticed this hole, right there in the center of the pic.

Is this the clutch inspection hole, and if so, it looks pretty big!! Should it have a cap or something?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TIA

K
mike boland Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Inspection Hole? Cover?? Reply with quote

thewump wrote:
So.. I was hitting my starter with a hammer today and noticed this hole, right there in the center of the pic.

Is this the clutch inspection hole, and if so, it looks pretty big!! Should it have a cap or something?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TIA

K

It's for the automatic transmission cars, so you can unbolt the drive plate screws to remove the transmission. VW does have a snap in plastic plug for it. You may be able to order one from the dealer if they are still available.

I can see that your VW is a manual transmission this hole does nothing..
also you should replace the broken boot on the throttle cable to keep dirt & water out... they are cheap..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the whole throttle cable with the boot for less than $20(probably needs replacing)- http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_796_1396/accelerator_cable.html

That hole is for automatics as already stated.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, and most manual vans are running around with that hole wide open with no ill effects, so the plug is optional. Unless you're in the habit of tossing handfuls of dirt into your engine compartment (hey, my dogs love a dirt-bath, so why not?).

Oh, if only you could inspect the clutch thru there, that would be swell, but alas, there is nothing of use one can learn by looking thru it, except to see that your torque convertor bolts have fallen out (it happens, so make sure they are snug; this is one of the few places where Loctite is actually a good idea).

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hforo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this on my van today too... Meaning, it must've had an auto transaxle swapped in to the manual van. Does anyone know where you can get these plugs?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All engine cases have the hole.
http://www.bus-boys.com/catalog/product_info.php?p...31cf6d09ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: