Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires choices
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Tires choices Reply with quote

Hi all, sorry but I tried the search and couldn't find an answer to my question. That being I have 16" wheels with Mich Hydroedges and was wondering if anyone has had the Yoko Geolandars and the Hydros and can compare the two.
I don't have a Syncro but like the look of the Radial T/A's but they don't make a 16" tire. The Yokos are rated for LT and mud/snow and have the look I like. Most of my driving is on paved roads but sometimes I'll be off road and one of my Hydos has been replaced due to a gash in the sidewall. I have no idea how it happened but they are rated for gravel and light dirt only, not rocks....as they state in their description.
Thanks in advance, I'm really lovin this site and my new 90 Westy.
Thanks
Mark
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit pschyzophrenic..

You have Hydroedges but like the "look" of Geolanders.
Do mostly pavement driving but gashed your Hydroedges on a rock?

Don't know what you want here...

I drive mostly pavement in a 2WD and have BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail TAs in 16".. proper load rated at "D".

They handle great on dry and wet.. (Have not tried any snow yet, maybe this weekend weather permitting!).. I doubt they will keep up with real AT tires when the inclines get steep steep. But my Vanagon has bigger problems than just the tires in going up steep steep dirt roads..
For the OTHER 99.99% of my driving they've been everything I need/want.

They also make the LongTrail Tour (a more HWY friendly tire) in 16" with an XL rated sidewall.
And of course they have the All terrain TA in 16" rated at C rated sidewall(I think).

Each of these tires has a MUCH more robust sidewall than the Hydroedge.

These are all fairly tall tires.. and will be much taller (fewer rpms) than your Hydroedges. Mine are 29"

And there's been LOADS written on tires choices.
Did you use the search, Luke?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I like the look and was hoping to hear from those that have them. Read my post, I have searched-- couldn't find what I'm looking for. I didn't say I gashed it on a rock either.
I appreciate your input anyway,thanks.
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear I was actually looking for a similar size tire which the Yoko is: 215/60/16. I know different profile sizes affect RPMs. I suppose a BF a/t T/A in 70 series would work and be taller, that's ok too.
Anyways anyone using the Geolandars with input would be appreciated.
Thanks again!
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGOVAY wrote:
Just to be clear I was actually looking for a similar size tire which the Yoko is: 215/60/16. I know different profile sizes affect RPMs. I suppose a BF a/t T/A in 70 series would work and be taller, that's ok too.
Anyways anyone using the Geolandars with input would be appreciated.
Thanks again!

Didn't intend to come across so snarky..

There are a dozen or more Yoko Geolander tire models.. from street summer/HWY tires to mudders.
(I did my own exhaustive search last summer... and I considered the Geolander AT-like tire.. can't recall the model no. off hand)

You might want to specify which type you want to discuss.. From your inital post it is difficult to ascertain if you are wanting a Hydroedge-like tire (of which there is a Geolander model) or one more like the venerable BFG All Terrains (of which there is a Geolander model that is similar) or one of the many in between.

FWIW.. the 60 series tires seldom have reinforced sidewalls.. Lack of sidewall strength/strucutre may be what did in your Hydroedge.

Good luck in your search.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I see your point, I guess I should have mentioned the mod#. I didn't realize how many Geolandars there were until just now. Basically I was trying to find out about the Geos A/T s which to me seemed to be sort of like the BFG A/T t/a's.
Totally understand about the low profile and how it may have been the cause of my problem, maybe I should be looking at a 65 or 70 series tire on a 16" wheel and worry more about the sidewall strength and load factors.
Back to the drawing board.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, like the look of the more aggressive tread patterns.. but now that I have the Long Trails.. I REALLY like the road handling.
No tire noise. I mean these tires are QUIET.
Track excellently, too.. When I have a few more thousand miles in, I'll have a better idea about mpg, wear, ease of maintaing alignment.. and other issues surrounding using non-standard tire sizes.

But they are tall at 29"..
Too tall depending on the engine and gearing you have.
And D rated sidewalls are a little stiff.. so bumps jar just a tad more.. but its fully worth it.. because while they may jar on some bumps... They also don't cave into potholes.

If you're interested in a 60ish series.. Have a look at these
http://www.tirefactory.net/comtrac.htm

If I were staying with my 2.1 and stock gearing, I'd have purchased these tires.
2 16" sizes to choose from
195/65 R 16 C 104/102 R
225/65 R 16 C 112/110 R

In hindsight, I'd go with the 225s.. just because the improved handling..
Mileage may suffer just a bit though.

IMHO.. the aggressive treads are more flash than anything for a 2WD.
And yeah.. I've got thousands of miles in on BFG ATs on other vehicles...
A great tire when you actually use it for what its intended.. dirt and uneven stuff.
If I return for more extensive trips into Baja outback.. Then I'd pick up 2 BFG ATs for the rear and carry the LongTrails as spares.

This forum could use a stickie "16" tire thread"
I think more will be going to 16" in the future.

danfromsyr wrote:
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a "tire" sticky would be nice for 16" wheels.
I suppose what started my thread was I have read that the Hydo Edge is not the best snow tire and being a 60 series not so good off the road. Not to say it's a bad tire, it's actually great in the rain and on the highway and it has a 90,000 tire life. I just don't want to wait that long to replace them. It may be 9 years or more as my Westy is not my everyday car.
My speedo is spot on with my GPS +- 1mph with the Hydos (much better then my other cars.)
I hunt, fish, and ski so I need to start looking for something that allows me to do all this and be a decent highway ride too.
I looked at your BFG long trails and like the look and details but not sure if I want to go that tall.
Good information all around, thanks and when I switch I'll try to do a write up and post it in the new "16" Tire sticky" Wink
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend with 16" wheels and the Yokos on his van. He really loves them. I've ridden in the van and they are nice. They are tough but much quieter than the BFG's. I'm going to consider them for my next set. I don't think you could go wrong with them. I'll see if I can find a picture to post.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple pictures. Geolander A/T 215/60/16"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXwesty,

Do you know what size those are?

I love my BFG's but I find myself back looking at 16's again...

Thanks

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
PDXwesty,

Do you know what size those are?

I love my BFG's but I find myself back looking at 16's again...

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they are the 215/60/16 A/T-S. Went through Baja with them no problems.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware that 225/60-16 can rub on stuff depending on your wheels and or chosen tire.

I think we all can agree the Hydroedges suck for off road especially snow.

I like the Geolander AT (or ATS?) in the 216/65-16 98H. At $83.49 from OnlineTire.com it is enough rating for a 6,000 pound Westy if you do not mind 50psi plus. You are not over doing it at that pressure as they are rated at 51psi. Since it is NOT a passenger tire you do not derate the load index either. Stays at 98. The H speed rating means it "should" have a somewhat stiffer side wall. All good stuff.

FYI: I do not want to afford the Conti Vancos, although, there is NO question about them, to me.

As far as sizing goes we all see that we all use different sized tires. A good 16 inch concise sticky thread would help us all a lot, I would think.

Although 15s are OK, I too am feeling the 16s are going to be more the norm for us especially those of us with modified vans (Westys.)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Beware that 225/60-16 can rub on stuff depending on your wheels and or chosen tire.

Yes.
And they will most likely require grinding the rear swing arm lip out in order to fit snow chains... or cables.

They should fit on the front with ET35 and less... but I'd want to be in the ET30-ET25 range.. otherwise contact at the ball joint/control arm is possible.
I am using a 10mm spacer on ET37 wheels for a 225 tire up front, effectively an "ET27".. until my G60 brakes are ready, which makes for 7 or 8mm "spacing"... that will settle at the equivalent of ET30

Any contact with fender lips up front is easily remedied with modest sheetmetal adjustment.. a little general bending.. mostly in the front lower corners. Nothing that requires skilled body work.

Except for the rear swing arm, as mentioned, there should be plenty of clearance on ET37 and less to ET20ish.. then you'll be coming close to the sliding door.

danfromsyr wrote:
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual I'm spending way too much time on the Van then work. I'm leaning towards the Yokohama Geolandars A/Ts in either a 60 or 65 series 215/16".
J Dirge--what size are your tires? 65/70?
r390 I think maybe 225's may be too wide also.
PDX thanks for the picture and information. I do like them.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGOVAY wrote:

J Dirge--what size are your tires? 65/70?

225/75r16 on ET37.. 29.1" tall when new.
currently no spacer in rear.. but will be spaced out 10mm eventually.
10mm spaced out in front currently.. 8mm eventually.

I will be modifying a second set of rear swing arms to make plenty of room for chains... link chains, preferably.

danfromsyr wrote:
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the 215/60R16 Yokohama Geolander AT-S. I really like them but can't compare to hydroedge other than a few drives in someone ese's van.

If you want to jump to my write-up in the tire sticky it is on the bottom of page 33:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...;start=640
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys. Oh-ooo no not another tire post but I need someones help. I searched the topics and there are many but I couldn't find a answer to my delemia.

Thanks to Loogy, he hooked me up with the correct Studs / Lugs for my new Mercedes wheels. They are 16" with ET23 and currenty have 225/55R-16 Conti Tires on them. Beleive it or not they fit and clearence all areas of concerns. But the tires are beat and although I haven't driven on them I'd like to replace them with a simular size tire.

As much as I searched the internet I couldn't locate a 225/55-16" tire that had a stout enough sidewalls to handle a Westy's weight although most of the tires listed have a weight rating of 1600+ lbs. The curent tires are approx 25 & 1\2" tall and about 9 & 3\8" wide. I'd like to find a simular size tire to be able to stay as close as possible to the stock Westy tire size of 25 1\4".. I don't mind going slightly larger in height and smaller in width, but like to stay well under 27"... I've noticed that some recommend the Geolanders but no mention of the side wall strength? Does anyone know if there are any lower profile such as 55 or 60 series tires out there that would be suitable for a Vanagon Westy?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: