Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up welding/restoring my old front shift rod, and then it works as it should.

Cip1 gave me a 25$ gift certificate for the "inconvenience" (although my new 66-67 shift rod cost about 55$).

Cheers, guys
way2krdn8d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm stumped on an issue with my bus that I cannot find any answers to in the bentley or anywhere on here.

Ok here goes: the Shifter ball end that goes into the cup is supposed to have a metal piece that sticks out (cylindrical) and fits into the slot on the front shift rod. Well, mine has gone MIA and I can't find anywhere that lists it as a replaceable part. When I tried to Fab a bolt into the spot and put everything back together, my shift pattern is now all messed up (i.e. reverse is where 2nd gear should be, 3rd I have to push down and wiggle and then up into place).
I tried taking it back apart and tracing the steps and reversed the bracket piece just in case I got it wrong, and the same result. I'm stumped. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks in advance! Confused
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960-67 has the pin with spring you are talking about-is it a 60-> bus? if so you can get the pin assembly from a 56-> beetle,type 3,or 60-> bus.
lay ball on partially open vise to let ball end of pin,with pin sticking upwards,hit end of pin with hammer to remove.
place pin assembly in bus handle and have pin facing downwards. use hammer to tap downwards until pin with spring is driven in to place. peen near back as original to keep pin and spring in place.
reinstall shifthandle.
or buy another bus shifter handle with good pin.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the lock out plate is oriented correctly.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was a pain in my butt. I bought a ww front shift rod and the bushing and clip from Ronnie. I reused my mount. First off the ww rod's paint is thick about .010 too thick! this is the method I used to assemble first put bushing into mount then open snap ring by letting the ends sit on each other keeping it the most open it can be without physically pulling it open further. Then put the snap ring on the bushing being careful not to let it snap close. Then I used soapy water to lubricate the shift rod. Sliding the rod in the bushing till it was in place. I then cleaned all the soapy water off and greased the shift rod where it rides in the bushing and before setting the snap ring closed make sure the bushing is sitting in the correct position with the opening to the side now close the snap ring done. It still seems tight but we will see once the leverage of the shifter plays in. my bus has never had one as long as I have had it.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
way2krdn8d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to find/buy the spring pin? I'm still not having any luck with this.
Dirkdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is this front bushing with the wrap spring (pictured in front of thread) hard to install? I have it correctly facing backwards, on the shaft, but the small part of the bushing barely fits in the hole. The ramp to the center groove will be difficult if not very difficult to get the bracket into. I am not certain I have the correct part, I think I do, but there's a 3/8" gap where the bushing split is.

I have a '63 type 2. I have applied a lube and am fighting it now. If the rod cam apart it would make it a lot simpler to just put bushing on the bracket and then slide tube in. Question
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirkdaddy wrote:
I have a '63 type 2. I have applied a lube and am fighting it now. If the rod cam apart it would make it a lot simpler to just put bushing on the bracket and then slide tube in. Question

Yes, you are supposed to remove the shift rod from the shifter bracket, install the bushing in the bracket, then slide the tube through the new bushing.

Disconnect the front shift rod from the rear long shift rod at the front coupler and completely remove everything from the Bus.

Some people have to torch off the front coupler if it's frozen:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dirkdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...the front rod is out of the bus with that bracket still on it. The coupler you are heating, that was cut on that photo, that comes off? Thought it was welded on. I got the rear shaft out of the coupler w/o any issue lucky the bus I am working on is very clean.

So I need to use some tools to beat the coupler ring off the front shaft - maybe using heat...( I just finished painting it LOL) and put the bushing on, then beat it back on the shaft? Hmm... I think my questions will help any newbies like me who read in future as it wasn't clear before.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need to remove that coupler ring so you can slide the shift rod through the bushing.

If the screw unscrewed pretty easily and the rods already came apart you are probably in good shape, I would just soak in some rust breaker for a couple days or heat up and quench it with cold water and try to work it back and forth with a big pair of pliers until it comes off.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dirkdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett - Thanks bud! Dang, it just about fell apart after a few blows from a brass hammer. I know some of you don't want to hear that after having to take drastic measures...taken me longer to write this note than get that ring off. great! now back in business. FYI my inner tube bushings were old and discolored but still intact. The rear one will have to wait until I drop the engine for a variety of other reasons. Wink
Dipsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Front Shift Rod Reply with quote

Some great info in this thread - nice one, guys! Applause

I did notice that the issue of the 62-67 shift rod never got completely cleared up. I'm happy to be corrected, but having spent a while trying to work out the same thing (with all the relevant parts in front of me) I think that one of the previous suggestions is correct, that WW worked out that you can simply use the 66>67 front shift rod (211-711-155/C) in place of the 62>65 version (211-711-155/B). Obviously, it would help all round if their website stated that this was the case, but you can't have everything Smile
I've never actually seen any specific confirmation, but if you follow the part number theory that any later revised part should be able to be used in place of an earlier part (albeit it may not be 'correct' for the year) http://www.aircooled.net/vw-part-numbers-explained/ then the above would make perfect sense.

The images of all four front shift rods side by side does show the 2 late ones to be very very similar in size http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383130&start=0

The only thing that I do wonder about is that the slightly different lengths of the shift rod bottom ends means that there would be a slight difference in the angle that the front shift rod approaches the rear shift rod? I can only imagine that this difference is so slight as to not make be a problem.

Cheers,
Nige
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
T Crane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace all shift rod bushings without removing the transmission.

This weekend I replaced the birdie bushings on my 1964 bus. By removing the parking brake, I was able to advance the center rod forward enough to replace both birdie bushings without binding the rod. I could not remove the rod, but could replace the bushings and the shift rod seals. Since I could could not remove the center rod, however, I could not clean the tunnel. I just greased the crap out of the rod as I threaded it back into the tunnel.
isle256a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the front shift rod slide out without removing the parking brake assembly. I removed the cables already. Cut the coupler off ok and have put used heat and soaked with kroil oil on for a few days. A few more sessions and hopefully ill have separation.
Dipsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isle256a wrote:
Will the front shift rod slide out without removing the parking brake assembly. I removed the cables already. Cut the coupler off ok and have put used heat and soaked with kroil oil on for a few days. A few more sessions and hopefully ill have separation.

Yeah, it'll come out fine. I only know for definite, as when I restored my bus, the only thing that I couldn't remove before it went to be acid dipped was the parking brake Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
isle256a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thank you didn't mess with the parking brake and have been working around it through all the recommendations and experiences on here.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be doing the from and middle bushings soon, once I get my coupler from Ronnie.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I am facing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Front rod in s on the right. I need to pick up a new cutoff wheel to cut through the welding slag...[/i]

WideFive wrote:

Click to view image
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's time to freshen up the linkage... end to end.
If lucky... rear rod isn't hosed... but guessing rear bushings are pretty tired.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my plan to replace the front and middle. I don't have the motivation to drop the engine and transmission to do the rear.

WideFive wrote:

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: