Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1966 EZ Camper Thread.. Pic heavy...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that blue/yellow combination being scrapped into the driveway. Shocked

Nice job on the engine bay, have you decided on new colors?
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:
I'm glad to see that blue/yellow combination being scrapped into the driveway. Shocked

Nice job on the engine bay, have you decided on new colors?

It was pearl white from the factory.. I have mused over anthracite bottom/pearl top, or solid pearl, or a year correct blue/pearl.. I dunno... I wish 66 had better colors, I think solid pearl will look pretty good though.

EZ camper of America painted it red on the bottom, I still see some of the old red vinyl.

Yup, probably pearl for now...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have been having fun, and cant wait to hear it fire up! My bay is dead for the season as I have other projects in front of it, - just started knocking in the engine.. So now we can go camping again in a bus...
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove around the block, everything feels too good to describe, but you know the feeling, when the bus just feels like a go cart, shifting great, clutch feels tight, motor hums like a top. Thermostat works, exhaust is tight, no leaks to be seen.. Man I am jazzed... Engine from GEMVW, or Jeff15 here. Straight 1600 and under 1200 bucks... The filter is temporary, just for the first tank. I have another one behind the firewall. Got all the new rubber in and all the seals and grommets. (heater, accelerator, stove pipe etc...)

Rewired the lights and engine compartment, used factory colors. Got that blue wire harness stuff for free at the last swap shop. Its kinda cheesy but works.
No more overheating, and I have the hoover bit in there!

Anyway, soon I will have it ready for a pearl white paint job. Need to concentrate on the front now... New front end parts and stuff...
Thats dust from sanding on my tank (and everywhere)... Need to wash all that off..
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched to a DVDA since I am running a 34pict3. Bus runs real nice. Set the timing at 5° ATC and forget it...

Sure is a bitch, rolling off the tremclad...

sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great progress
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far this is the worst of the rust, but there are so many little dings.. This bus was a bondo test ground.. It seems like they tried to cover it completely with bondo for some reason, but as I dig, I only found dings here and there.

So close, so close and yet so far....
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready to start on the roof..., just gonna DA it and prime it, then it'll be ready for the pearl... Not 100% sure on final color...

the long window is just sitting in there for now...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Emeritusx, lots of progress keep up the good work and thanks for the visuals Wink

Emeritusx wrote:
Ready to start on the roof..., just gonna DA it and prime it, then it'll be ready for the pearl... Not 100% sure on final color...

the long window is just sitting in there for now...

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show this friday.... So gonna go as is.. crappy cell phone pic, kids have camera and are in Charleston...

Runs great, still need to grease her.. guess I'll do that now while I am thinking about it

Still might buy fender skirts and rockers before I paint it... Need a lower nose clip too...

At least I an get some use outta her.. Goal: Shasta Snow trip 2011. We'll see..
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job...another split on the road in Missouri.
Show this Friday????
Going to Kansas City?

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx, that bus is starting to look really nice. If you go on the next SST, a pair of fat meats in the back would look killer and be helpful, too.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really good. Congratulations.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjonas wrote:
Nice job...another split on the road in Missouri.
Show this Friday????
Going to Kansas City?

Yes the family arrives friday night at midnite so I'll miss the parade, but I will be there sat morning... Daughters gonna drive the mercury down, like to bring the thing too, but I cant drive 'em both... Sad .

Dont expect to win anything, just wanna show my support. The bay is the show winner surprisingly enuff... 2nd at every show so far... The splitty is not in show condition for sure. Might have a chance at the slow drags tho.. Smile

For those of you who are thinking of rustoleum or tremclad or house paint... Dont.. EZ Off eats the paint pretty well, but what a freakin' pita. I should kick my own ass for doing it in the first place, on top of cracked paint and bondo to boot.... Cost to paint: 15 bucks. Cost to strip: 140 bucks counting the sander I bought.

Primer 25 bucks - reducer 25 bucks, disposable spray gun 25 bucks (but I can still reuse it as primer is easy to clean)

and I still haven't gotten it painted. I know I could blow it on, but I think I will out source it so at least 4-5 hundred there, I am tired of sanding... Plus there are still a bunch of dings here and there.

Do you guys prefer to see a bus with a few dings and know it is real metal, or a perfect skin that has filler here and there? I really am trying not to deface this vehicle. Bondo sucks, but it is a necessity sometimes...
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dent or bondo topic is really due to opinion. Personally, I like small dings better than bondo.

If the bus ever gets dented in the future you end up with cracked/stretched paint, not sheets of filler peeling off. I'm sure many other people prefer otherwise, but I like to know metal is the only thing underneath.

By the way, what primer did you buy and where? I like the look and you can't beat cheap. I may do the same to make my bus slightly prettier once the welding's done. Krylon sucks ass!
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:
The dent or bondo topic is really due to opinion. Personally, I like small dings better than bondo.

If the bus ever gets dented in the future you end up with cracked/stretched paint, not sheets of filler peeling off. I'm sure many other people prefer otherwise, but I like to know metal is the only thing underneath.

By the way, what primer did you buy and where? I like the look and you can't beat cheap. I may do the same to make my bus slightly prettier once the welding's done. Krylon sucks ass!

I bought Duplicolor Primer from O'riellys and they have the reducer as well Took a can and a half.. And that was 3 complete coats, wet sanded between each with 400 then 600 finally with a sanding sponge (like 800-1000). It feels good, not like rattle can paint.

Wet sanded the roof in the rain, dulled it out nice. Used flat white on bumper for now. Flat white on the emblem..

Got a set of old skool mags and adapters for the rear, might run 225/75 14's as they'll give me almost 10% higher speed. But I have good meats now and I really do not want to dump 200 bucks into tires.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revolutions Speedometer Odometer Difference
195/70-14....5.4".......12.4"...24.7".........77.7"...........815/mi........60MPH .....10000mi....... N/A
225/75-14....6.6".......13.6"... 27.3".........85.7"...........739/mi........54MPH.....9069mi.......10.3%
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a blast this weekend, wished I coulda taken the Thing and the bus, oh well...

My daughter was out from Colorado, I think she's starting to get VW fever... poor kid Smile

Some pics:

Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed my brights finally

Moved the lenses away from the burnt part and made some turn signal indicator lenses as mine were badly burnt... Cleaned up general wiring and the parcel tray

Fixed the blue lens too... Cant wait to see it tonight... Cleaned the inside of the speedo too... It was pretty easy to take apart...
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:

Wow Shocked ! I just found this thread. Didn't know you were working on your split bus. It's much, much, much nicer in grey primer and white than it was when yellow/blue. Good job, like you did on your Thing. The cut wheel wells are not a shame, as they are a heritage of a '70s trend. You can roll it as is and fix 'em later. Call it a Jersey looker in the meantime... Laughing
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja.. I had the Thing up for sale, but I just can't bring myself to sell it yet, summers here and I took the top off... I just can't do it...

Anyway;

Old skool mags, 205/75 14's.... Now I need somethin' for the front, maybe chrome stock wheel with chrome hub caps... Need some kinda center piece for the rears....

Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:

Old skool mags, 205/75 14's.... Now I need somethin' for the front, maybe chrome stock wheel with chrome hub caps... Need some kinda center piece for the rears....

Goes well with the cut wheels wells. Looks period correct Cool . Maybe you could find 2 others like those, but smaller. What size are the 2 rears, 7x14 or 6x14 ?
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: