Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon fuel rail fix
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason yesterday I was all tied up in the math of the sizes I didn't pay attention to price. If you purchase two of the manifolds and 8 threaded to barb fittings you're looking at $95 Smile Suddenly the van-cafe units have gotten more appealing Smile Vanagon parts suck, why do we love these bricks on wheels so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the original poster, i used old Porsche 914 fuel rails that i just happened to have, all steel, can probably be bought used for cheap. these wont fail ever. painted them pretty orange, so they look nice. No need for fancy machined parts, save money!
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone sell 914 rails ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Musings... Reply with quote

I'm DEFINITELY re-doing Winston's fuel lines with PolyArmor metal fuel line. In my program of 'de-polymering' his fuel system, I'm pretty sure that I'll replace the old nylon fuel rails, although I do think Chris/10cent is correct to say that's it's not that severe a risk. I just don't want any risk.

Shocked

Such Porsche 914 rails as I could find, new aftermarket, are as expensive as the two aftermarket options for Vanagons mentioned elsewhere in this thread--still for sale, in our classifieds and by Van Cafe.

It would be NICE to get metal fuel rails to which I could attach flared, screw on fittings from the metal fuel lines--Look, Ma, no clamps! But I haven't seen any. What I'd end up doing, as of now, is to metric bubble flare my new metal lines, then use short lengths of the best Gates or Goodyear rubber fuel lines with clamps on both ends. Not an ideal solution, but workable... They might have the advantage of dampening vibration.

I muse, and invite your thoughts...

Best!
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the metal ones of the Bay/FI, had plastic one crack and a dripdown onto ex pipe,dodged the bullit that time, NO more plastic.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 914 and bay window metal rails are identical if that is any help in locating them. they are nice, no threaded parts to leak, the ends are barbed, but you need hose clamps too.

there has been no performance issues with these rails. you do not need to worry about the lack of extra volume of the 914 rails. there is huge volume already in the system with all the hoses and such. the volume issue is a non issue on the vanagon,

My vanagon has been running great with these 914 /baywindow fuel rails.
The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
you have to wonder why VW went to the trouble of putting those little rubber discs in the ends of the stock ones -- maybe they are supposed to function to reduce pressure fluctuations??

if an Al one works fine under all conditions, that would be an improvement tho, as plastic will not last forever

That circular piece on the end of the stock part is a plastic plug crimped on with a metal ring. Not exactly leak-proof, but I'm sure they sorted them out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I machined the Van-Cave fuel rail as efficiently as I could to get it to be a direct replacement for the OEM piece and to minimize the danger of leaking. I pressure test every single one at 90-100 PSI, which I understand is approximately 4x the pressure that runs in the fuel system.

Additionally, I found that the BMW rubber fuel line will hold that pressure without hose clamps. Not that I recommend that, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the X-section - I'm still wondering why VW made them that way...
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:

The limitations of injection molding, I presume.
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That circular piece on the end of the stock part is a plastic plug crimped on with a metal ring. Not exactly leak-proof, but I'm sure they sorted them out".

Not quite - look closer - there is an o-ring there - you can see it in cross-section if you look closely where the two pieces mate at top and bottom. Makes it virtually leak proof since the crimped on metal end piece keeps it all compressed/together.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
randywebb wrote:

they could easily have made a "U" in the end of these things w/o going to all the trouble of an O-ring, plug, and metal crimp
The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
Not quite - look closer - there is an o-ring there - you can see it in cross-section if you look closely where the two pieces mate at top and bottom. Makes it virtually leak proof since the crimped on metal end piece keeps it all compressed/together.

Good eye! That shows up better in the picture than in person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
Altoona wrote:
randywebb wrote:

they could easily have made a "U" in the end of these things w/o going to all the trouble of an O-ring, plug, and metal crimp

You have to be able to remove the part of the mold that is on the inside somehow. One end needs to be open and then capped after the fact. You could perhaps make the piece totally enclosed using rotational molding, but I am not sure that kind of technology was available or economically feasible then (or now) for a part like this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: