Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses their sink?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sink is also a great place to store the stackable cooking pots. I line it with a tea towel to prevent rattling.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 20 years of VW camping/traveling I can't recall a time when peeing inside the van was better than outside the van. For my girls, yes.

=============
Sorry for going off-topic here...... Laughing Laughing

In my '85 Westy, I had a momentary (button) switch that I operated with my knee (on the vertical cabinet), this allowed me to use both hands in the sink and save water. I have not yet added this to my '90.

GoWesty sells a foot operated switch. The benefit of this is that you don't have to drill a hole in the cabinet, but now you have something on (above) your floor. Somehow it doesn't seem an ergonomically proper location, but I haven't tried one. On the other hand, where I positioned my switch was perfect for the height of my knee, might not fit others so well. Seems like the GoWesty switch, velcro'd on the vertical surface, could then be set to whatever knee owns the van, (and no drilling, if you are opposed).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use our sink, typical stuff as mentioned before, water for coffee or tea, washing hands, brushing teeth, refilling dog bowls, etc.

Stove is used more for heating water than anything. I think we've used it for pasta a few times, but that's about it. We usually take a Weber Q grill with us, and cook on that. Loves me some steak, BBQ chicken, or kabobs on the grill!!

As for "emergency" use of the stove, I have a gray water tank underneath for my sink drain, and that would just be not cool to clean out. I, ahem, have a Gatorade bottle stashed under the rear bench.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
As for "emergency" use of the stove

OUCH!! I would use a gatorade too!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foot switch and foot pumps used a lot on Sailboats. Especially handy when underway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
hiram6 wrote:

Of course I meant sink, don't even want to think about how painful that mix-up could be!!! Shocked Laughing

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
Sodo wrote:
hiram6 wrote:

Of course I meant sink, don't even want to think about how painful that mix-up could be!!! Shocked Laughing

You wouldnt need a waxing for a while! OUCH!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sink holds my water pot and fajita grill, rattle proofed with a pair of washcloths.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I use my faucet to fill my teapot, and boil water for tea often, my water tank is clean. I carry a charcoal grill when cooking raw meats outside the van (I like the chicken or carne asada from trader joes), but can make tea, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, pancakes, quesadillas and grilled turkey wraps on the stove, without stinking up the canvas.

I pee into a Simply Limeade bottle, holds more than Gatorade bottles, which are too small to last me through the night. If I pour pee down the sink, I flush with cold tap water, or sometimes with boiled water, and wipe with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. I've also practived Shivambu Kalpa for over 30 years, am never sick, and use zero pharmaceuticals.

And I use a 2 gallon Jug, with 4.5' of hose, so I can fill it from any bathroom sink. I fill with hot water if Im going surfing, then the jug is my shower, stays warm for over 4 hours wrapped in a towel. Or I fill the 2 gallon jug with cold water, and use a funnel to pour it into my Westy water tank.

My fridge works too. I use it on Alternator when making multi hour drives, and on Propane when stopped, or driving for less than 2 hours.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
I pee into a Simply Limeade bottle,

I am not convinced that is a really good idea Shocked
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll be the one to ask, I have no shame but I do have envy.

Why not?

Last edited by DAIZEE on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
OK, I'll be the one to ask, I have no shame but I do have envy.

Why not?

A bottle of yellow liquid with a label that says it's lemonade...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Would it help if you knew I didn't have a sense of smell and I have no concept of smell except that I've been taught there are good smells and bad smells. I actually met someone who liked the smell of skunk!!!
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be the ultimate in sink/stove use for both nice weather and when it was raining outside;

It is only one of many many amazing custom mods...
from http://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=144546.120
http://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=144546.330
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take one of those galley set ups. GREAT. John are you seeing it+
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pee down the sink. Although pee is supposedly sterile (and some even drink it - check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy) I have a strong gross-out reaction to peeing in the food-prep zone.

Sinks are for pasta water, tea water, dish water etc. I'm with previous posters who prefer to do food prep outside but use the kitchen inside for tea in the morning, when camping incognito, and on rainy days.

My middle of the night trick is a detergent bottle - nice wide mouth, drip-controlling lid and holds about 1.5 litres. Just dump it out daily and bleach it after a trip! As for number two - I just hold it and use the facilities afforded by the wider world when available. Who takes a dump inside a vanagon?

J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: swing out Reply with quote

Yeah - that swing out unit is definitely in my top 10. The only drawback to it, or a slide out on rails unit would be the distance of the work top of the unit from the ground when in the extended position. Now if I could figure out a way to have it lower down or raise gently .......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
A sink is a good safe place to pee when surrounded by grisly bear. I real Westy guy as peed in his van a few time!

I can't pee in the sink wile driving hard south, i use a Gatorade bottle, good size.

Ben

Sink?! Why not just bring along dedicated pee-cans? I use a large detergent bottle with screw-off cap — blue, of course, to match the Dove Blue van. Rolling Eyes My wife, who understandably needs something with a slightly larger opening, uses a large coffee can with snap-on lid. Very Happy

Makes camping so much easier. If you need to engage in a serious sit-down, the campground toilets are always there waiting for you. But for a little number-one action, why bother walking all the way to the toilets? Especially in the middle of the night.... So much easier to just scootch out of bed and pop the top off that handy receptacle.... Razz
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
GoWesty sells a foot operated switch.
...Somehow it doesn't seem an ergonomically proper location, but I haven't tried one.

I have one of these in my van. It's GREAT! When not in use, it tucks up behind the drivers seat just fine.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
Sodo wrote:
GoWesty sells a foot operated switch.
...Somehow it doesn't seem an ergonomically proper location, but I haven't tried one.

I have one of these in my van. It's GREAT! When not in use, it tucks up behind the drivers seat just fine.

Huh, neat.
Is it always ready? Just step on the black foot bellows to make water come out of the faucet whenever you want?

Or do you have to turn the faucet on when you want to use it, and then step on the bellows whenever you want to make the water stop?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed the 'valve' from the valve. It's just a knob that spins. Pull out the bellows, step on it, and you have water.
Also, since my van is a Euro-spec, so I have a FACTORY grey water tank. It holds about 5 gallons.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: