Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses their sink?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to add that the sink is a great little storage space while underway. some people put their pans there, i like to stash bread (no squashing!) or fresh fruit/veggies that don't need to be kept cool in it.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We can count on Ben for rigorous honesty. That's what I am talking about! Wink

Well, it's a true story, i was in Banff NP and we came late, there was a giant gage sign, like those fire level warning, but it was a Grizzly one with a shredded cooler as a warning sign.

So in the middle of the night i get out for a pee (got to let all that beers out) and I start my stuff beside a bush.... but when the other bush started moving and making an horrible grumbling noise I literally projected myself in the van locking the door behind me... i still had to pee Smile

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

ftp2leta wrote:

So in the middle of the night i get out for a pee (got to let all that beers out) and I start my stuff beside a bush.... but when the other bush started moving and making an horrible grumbling noise I literally projected myself in the van locking the door behind me... i still had to pee Smile

Ben

Laughing

Ben, that probably would been all the more reason you felt the urge to go.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
but when the other bush started moving and making an horrible grumbling noise I literally projected myself in the van locking the door behind me... i still had to pee Smile

Ben

Probably had to change underwear too. I know I would... Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

BTW, I use the sink all the time. Washing up in the morning and at night/bedtime, doing dishes, and for storing the tea kettle. Wouldn't want to be without it.

We also have a separate water bottle (a clean clotheswashing detergent bottle with spigot) that we use on the picnic table for outside washing.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a cutting board to the sink (though it sounds as if some of you would refer to it as a 'toilet seat'):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It gives the cooking area a bit more space (we took out the PitA rear table) for slicing, dicing, or just plain setting down the bottle of single malt. It turns the sink into a nice hidden storage area for dish towels, the soap, the scrubbie sponge, etc. It's a garden variety cutting board with a corner jigsaw-ed out to make room for the faucet and some wooden blocks mounted on the bottom that "nest" into the sink opening to keep it in place. I had to cut about a quarter-inch notch to fit it against the stove grate but that too helps hold it in place.

We don't use the sink for drinking water except for tooth maintenance but do use it for washing, with a graywater bucket under the outlet.

Outside I added an easy to reach hose extension with a twist valve to replace the up-in-the-mud screw cap. It's flexible so you can be bumped on a rock and all it does is bend.

So yes, we find the sink quite useful.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I'm really going to keep the tightly lidded pail. All this talk of grizzly bears Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not done anything with my sink until the day I opened up the compartment for the water tank.

What I found under the cover was a new in the plastic water pump, gave me the idea that the one installed was dead. It was dead, so in went the new pump per Bentley. Got some water tank cleaner from the RV store, cleaned the tank and the lines and haven't looked back since.

Like many here just the ability to wash up and brush the teeth is enough reason to use the sink. I still bring bottled water when we go anywhere, I like the water that is hiding in my Gearys Pale Ale.

Anyway I can't imagine anyone using their sink to pee in, isn't that a kin to pooping in the pool? Not happening in my van!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mootpoint, is that curly maple veneer that you used for your sink cover? Looks sweet.

While we use our sink I must say that clean-up in it is pretty awkward due to its small size. I've never understood why American campgrounds don't have a dish washing station like Europrean and many Canadian campgrounds.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: All Sink. All the time Reply with quote

I use Winston's sink very often, for all the things Dave (dobryan) says and more. I use washable dishes for the environmentally considerate part of that, I wash myself as well, washing one's hands and face at the end of a hot day is a luxury you only appreciate after having NOT been able to do it. I use that Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Hemp soap, it IS all that in the field, even the water in my gray water tank smells good after using it. Cleans dishes, cleans me, even cleans stains out your clothing. I keep the soap, my pot scrubbers, and my grey water tank's hose in the sink. Soap WILL leak. It doesn't matter what you put it in. It WILL leak.

I bought a kit sold for boat water systems to clean out and purify the drinking water systems, and used that in Winston's system with complete success, West Marine comes to my rescue again. The water's very good, I've left it in him for as long as a month and found it fine. I put LED arrays in Winston over the sink and over the cabinets in the place of the battery-eating incandescent he had when I bought him.

For late-night emergencies--and I have camped many nights in a VERY bear-infested campground, I have this in the bench:

You can get that at CampMor and other places. The Dr. Bronner's does a good job on that, too. No, Winston's sink is one of his very, very best features.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the sink for every camping trip, and often when stopping for lunch. Sometimes when moving too. I have no cap on the drain, or greywater tank, it just drains on the ground.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all those who use the sink for washing dishes how do you get it to not clog up?? My first time using it I made eggs and went to wash the pan and viola it clogged and and I couldn't unclog it. Am I missing some sort of trick? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drain is not clogged, it's the sink trap.
Pull the little drain trap out and dump the egg residue out.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I did that but like a dumbass I pulled it before washing them. Would drain-o or something of that sort unclog it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
With all those who use the sink for washing dishes how do you get it to not clog up?? My first time using it I made eggs and went to wash the pan and viola it clogged and and I couldn't unclog it. Am I missing some sort of trick? Embarassed

I scrape out all the big stuff first and then leave the sink trap in place while washing. If the trap gets clogged I empty it in the trash can, replace in the sink, and resume washing. YMMV. Smile

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
silverlunace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: All Sink. All the time Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
For late-night emergencies--and I have camped many nights in a VERY bear-infested campground, I have this in the bench:

You can get that at CampMor and other places. The Dr. Bronner's does a good job on that, too. No, Winston's sink is one of his very, very best features.

Best!

Yes, and they even make them for girls! Very Happy

Also, I agree about the Dr. Bonners. We use it everywhere for everything at our house.
{1985 Vanagon GL - tan, "Bartok"}
{1986 Jetta - white, "Vanilla Chip"}
{1968 Baja Bug - multi Wink - nameless}
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
Sodo wrote:

I did that but like a dumbass I pulled it before washing them. Would drain-o or something of that sort unclog it?

I would not put anything so corrosive as drain cleaner anywhere near my van.

Look in the cabinet under the sink, there is a little thumbscrew, it allows you to take the drainpipe apart in case it gets plugged.

Give it a twist and verify that it won't turn because it's rusted stuck. Then get the pliers out and verify that they break off after ten years.

Then you have to buy a new sink drain. I think you can still get them at bus depot or Gowesty. If you can unscrew it, put it back in with a little vaseline or something to prevent it from getting stuck.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pee in your sink. Get one of these:

Tip: get a yellow one so there's no mistaking its intended purpose, and will disguise the contents of your bottle should you need to dump it at a rest stop bathroom, or a restaurant.

Love the sink, wouldn't be without it. I know we could get by without the fridge or stove, but not the sink. Use it for everything except urination. Smile
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah!

people are just too afraid of their own urine

check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy

Growning up I remember my grandfather telling me how savvy farmers used to pee in their hands to keep them helthy and free of cracks. Urea is actually used in many cosmetic products.

I was actually kind of joking when I first mentioned the pee in the sink thing but from the comments it sounds like some people go for it! hey, good for your bladder!

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: sink idea Reply with quote

I'm thinking about making something like this - from an older westie model - except with no icebox/fridge, sink with 2 removeable water tanks - one for freshwater, the other for grey water, a small 2 burner cooktop and a removeable 5lb propane tank.

The whole unit would weigh about 30lbs with tanks and propane tank removed and could be located behind the passenger seat, or behind the driver's seat, or lifted outside to be used there.
I'd like to have a sink and stove on the inside when I want it there and be able to use it outside when camped for a few days. It would avoid having to carry an extra stove and washing up basin etc. The tanks would be removed to be filled or emptied
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Mootpoint, is that curly maple veneer that you used for your sink cover? Looks sweet.

Thanks. Actually, it's not veneer, it's a "solid body". I'd had this hunk o' curly maple sitting around my shop, left over from my musical instrument building days, about 20+ years ago.

I thought it would be a nice addition to the Westy, especially since I'd put in the Pergo floor. I was blown away how cool it became when I oiled it. I just reused all the existing hardware.

I was in Australia this fall with a rental Toyota hi-top and each campground (more like KOAs than what we expect to find in US parks and forests) not only had a kitchen space with a sink but also a free, built-in propane BBQ. Had some great conversations with the other campers standing around the 'barby.'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: