Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix Billet Distributor Upgrade Feasible?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donmurray wrote:
Now if some engine builder would present hp & torque curves for 2 or 3 different engines. Each engine doing a pull with each distributor.

Who's gonna pay for their time or do you expect hem to do it for free?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
donmurray wrote:
Now if some engine builder would present hp & torque curves for 2 or 3 different engines. Each engine doing a pull with each distributor.

well, since you stand to make the $$ off a good 010 report, I think you should do it! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Pertronix Billet Distributor Upgrade Feasible? Reply with quote

Thing is I think that since he deals with most all the Distributors that have been known to be ran in the ACVW Engines he must be knowledgeable.. Also, check out his back ground, he has seen results and most all practices, and oh yea, he even promotes other distributors that he knows about if you would like to try any of them out, but that is your call, I guess it depends on how you want your engine to run is all, expectations........

Thanks for you knowledge base Glenn......RB
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:
Glenn wrote:
donmurray wrote:

well, since you stand to make the $$ off a good 010 report, I think you should do it! Laughing

Obviously you don't know me. People have been touting the virtues of the 010 since the 60s.... you give me too much credit.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Pertronix Billet Distributor Upgrade Feasible? Reply with quote

I know you are not speaking of me, but in your defence, I have seen your website...I know there is a best, but it depends on your engine and what you are trying to do with it, Restoration, OG, Performance, or just experimentation,lol......

Oh, my Rod, it is all original German stuff + more, just all mixed up with the best stuff I can get and still get, wish there was a Rod Profile Build Sheet under User's Profile to get specific on a Car......RB
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out our new Magnaspark-2 distributor. Extremely high qaulity and priced affordable.
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=432
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Pertronix Billet Distributor Upgrade Feasible? Reply with quote

Yea I saw that, very cool... Thing is I need a new Starter, my OG Starter hates my new 2110,lol... Oh, and that just brings us back to the point of the forum, qualifications of why needing and big cap Distributor. Thing is the Pertronix has been around for a bit and people have seen working results-reliability and so on, but maybe we will here of the Magnaspark in this forum as well once some peeps have run it....

Thanks for the update on the new product......RB
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Obviously you don't know me. People have been touting the virtues of the 010 since the 60s.... you give me too much credit.

I can't believe you're not willing to rent out a dyno for a full day and run some tests....come on Glenn, I was joking! I guess sarcasm is often lost on these internet forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:
I can't believe you're not willing to rent out a dyno for a full day and run some tests.

As stated earlier, at full advance they are all the same.

And I prefer the "seat-of-the-pants" meter.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
ots03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
Check out our new Magnaspark-2 distributor. Extremely high qaulity and priced affordable.
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=432

Good option...
I wonder about the electronic device inside the "ready to run" model .. ( it is like ignitor 1 or maybe like ignitor II ?).
ots03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donmurray wrote:
I've noticed that some well known engine builders are using the 009. Why would they sacrifice some performance if the 010 is better? Is it because they both produce the same HP in a full throttle dyno pull, but the 010 has better performance at low rpm? Still, it looks like these builders would see the difference on the run up power curve, and opt for the better distributor.
Maybe the difference is not worth fussing over?

I think the engine builders use 009 (and sacrifice performance ) because they want to keep the cost low (they can find a 009 for 40/50 usd. A mallory,msd,billet or even good condition 010/019 cost at least four times more ).

Last edited by ots03 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Pertronix Billet Distributor Upgrade Feasible? Reply with quote

See, I don't know much of the MagnaSpark, but when it comes to the Pertronix Set-Up they have a decently reviewed reliable Module which to me is key. Plus I have been running one, Now the rest of there mechanical mechanisms involving there distributors seams sound if they fit your needs...

I do hope to hear more on the MagnaSpark, but in all I hope to hear more about the Pertrinix's Performance as well.... This was one of the goals of the forum also...

Now pertaining to otis03, my thing is weather and electronics do not mix, also the wallet like you said, but, a Pertronix Billet Distributor tricked out is not small change, nor big either... Thing is simplicity of the system and durability which I have found worth wild over the years with its traditional layout... RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: