Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove input shaft on transaxle.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: How to remove input shaft on transaxle. Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
Drain the oil. unbolt the ring of bolts in the bell housing don't miss the four on the bottom. slide off check the back of the bell housing where the shaft gos thought see if the steal sleve that is there is not lose. take a long pair of snapring plier's and move the snapring down the shaft just far enuff to pull the gear free from its mate no more. reach in with a hook and pull the gear to you the the snapring was retaining. then unscrew the shaft. Now when you put the snapring back in place it may spin freely on the shaft this is not good you will have to remove the shaft again and take the snapring off pinch it with a pair of pliers and reinstall so its snug. I will post some photos of this job later today right now I have to somehow push a dead van though the snow in my shop by myself.

I read the explaination from Bigbore, but I got to the unscrew the shaft and it did not unscrew. Am I missing something or do I just really tourque hard on it? I did leave the transaxle in gear. I did make sure that it was clear of the other gear.

THnaks.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to move the snap ring back. (very tiny snap ring). This will allow you to slide the coupler gear back. Then you can unscrew the input shaft.

If you just torque without doing above, all you are doing is spinning the whole input assembly to no end. You can turn that thing till you are 60years old and nothing happens. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
You have to move the snap ring back. (very tiny snap ring). This will allow you to slide the coupler gear back. Then you can unscrew the input shaft.

If you just torque without doing above, all you are doing is spinning the whole input assembly to no end. You can turn that thing till you are 60years old and nothing happens. Very Happy

THats what I did, but it still did not unscrew. Here is a link to the original post from bigbore.... Page two, about half way down.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did above and turned the shaft COUNTERCLOCKWISE and it did not unscrew??

It is tiny 7mm threaded stud. You should be able to just turn the shaft w/ your fingers. It is NOT torqued or anything. The stud is just there to keep the input shaft attached to the mainshaft.

Turn left man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
You did above and turned the shaft COUNTERCLOCKWISE and it did not unscrew??

It is tiny 7mm threaded stud. You should be able to just turn the shaft w/ your fingers. It is NOT torqued or anything. The stud is just there to keep the input shaft attached to the mainshaft.

Turn left man.

I know, that why I'm asking Very Happy I'm switching from a 3-rib to 6-rib shaft for my Type IV motor. I have the new shaft in my hand and can see the 7mm stud. I did no torque very much for fear of stripping or breaking the 7mm stud. I just wanted to make sure that my brain is not as small as it seems. Rolling Eyes
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should NOT torque at all. Just thread it in by fingers and as soon as the shaft touches the tailend of that mainshaft.....line up the knurled splines and push the coupler gear forward.

PUt the Snap ring in the groove and your are done.

Enjoy.
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
You should NOT torque at all.
Enjoy.

Thats what I figured. The gears are clear, I think the previous owner did torque on it Evil or Very Mad Thanks for the help. Cross your fingers for me.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not remember ever having seen a torque wrench for this. Laughing

We got good guys mixed in w/ the bad guys. Cannot blow the place up.

Just make sure that tiny snap ring is in good health or it can break and the gear slide back and the input shaft fall out and leave you stranded.

Cool deal.
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a transmission guru. But what about using a small propane or map gas torch, some penetrating oil and tapping the input shaft with a brass hammer to try and break the threads loose? Its what I usually end up doing, if things are frozen. If that doesn't work then usually the BMF hammer comes out of the tool box.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you haven't pulled the coupler back far enough. The bus diff often fouls the coupler making it hard to pull back. Turn the diff so the windows in the diff line up with the input shaft and pull the coupler back.
Big hands make this job real tough....
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
Sounds like you haven't pulled the coupler back far enough. The bus diff often fouls the coupler making it hard to pull back. Turn the diff so the windows in the diff line up with the input shaft and pull the coupler back.
Big hands make this job real tough....

I did not have a chance to work on it last night. Dougy, I do have the gear pulled far enough back, but I will doulbe/triple check it though, and pound on it with a brass hammer.

Thanks
Paul
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I just found this. Intresting read. you have to pull that gear on the input shaft to you about 1.5 inch's to clear the place where it screw's together. I haven't never had one not just unscrew but there is always a frist. Even if it is sezed/rusted or what ever one side or the other will come unscrewed. there is just a little 7mm stud in there and can come unscrewed from ether shaft.
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it apart. I had not pulled it back far enough. It was finger tight.

Thanks for all of the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: