Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

just received 2 certificates for the Beetle and the Ghia in about 2 weeks. Fantastic!

as usual a couple of unidentified M codes for the Beetle (1969 Type 114) and I can't see any obvious results on this site. Has anyone ever traced down M401 and M113?

the great news is that the Ghia did come with a white roof as I hoped (it was going to get one anyway but it's nice to know it will be original Smile )
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I just ordered one for my 1/55. They asked me nothing about ownership or documentation. I guess it doesn’t really matter given you can’t do anything with it unless you own the car. Just curious if they ask for it later?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
I just ordered one for my 1/55. They asked me nothing about ownership or documentation. I guess it doesn’t really matter given you can’t do anything with it unless you own the car. Just curious if they ask for it later?

Not to my knowledge.
As far as I know you can order a certificate for a car you don't own, as long as you pay.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

saw this relating to a car listed in the classified section and thought the bit about the microfiche crumbling was interesting Crying or Very sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

finster wrote:
saw this relating to a car listed in the classified section and thought the bit about the microfiche crumbling was interesting Crying or Very sad

And this was 7 years ago! Better get your birth certificate while you still can!

Hopefully the car lasts longer than its records.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

They've been saying that for many years, some of the microfiches are damaged I guess.
I don't know the exact details.
Some people get that reply, some people get the data.

I've seen people report when they did a 2nd time they got the data too so not sure how that can happen.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
lardawge wrote:

Not to my knowledge.
As far as I know you can order a certificate for a car you don't own, as long as you pay.

That's accurate. As long as you have the serial number you can get a birth certificate. I got one for my '59 Beetle before I ever registered it, which would be proof that it's actually mine.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinzebac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

My birth certificate came in today.

Ordered 11/7/20

Received 12/1/20

Good turnaround time. Not many surprises on it. Interesting that it made it from Grand Rapids MI (Point of Entry) to here in Tacoma WA.
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Just got mine. There are definitely some issues. Not sure what to think.

I have a 55 with vin 0789xxx that they put as being manufactured 07.01.1955 and delivered 10.01.1955. Not sure how that would be possible given it has semaphores and everything indicates it's an early 55, including the vin and body number.

It also states that it has a "larger reflector in brake light" as a configuration. The fenders are as original as you can get and have the heart/egg bracket holes.

I also didn't get a Finish. It says it's not deposited.

The only cool part is that it was delivered to Hollywood.

Overall, maybe a waste of $89. I emailed them with some questions about the dates and gave some evidence to back up my claims that it's not correct.

I wanted to get one for my 58. Now I am glad I didn't.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
I have a 55 with vin 0789xxx that they put as being manufactured 07.01.1955 and delivered 10.01.1955. Not sure how that would be possible given it has semaphores and everything indicates it's an early 55, including the vin and body number.
It also states that it has a "larger reflector in brake light" as a configuration. The fenders are as original as you can get and have the heart/egg bracket holes.

a jan 55 car is an early 55 as the model year at that time followed the calendar year. semaphores were phased out in april/may 55 (US market) so your car would have semaphores. my only doubt being the three day delivery time to hollywood!
by my reckoning your car would have had egg style tail lights (oct 54), I'm not an expert on these but see no reason why a more effective reflector couldn't be fitted at the factory...

lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

finster wrote:
lardawge wrote:

a jan 55 car is an early 55 as the model year at that time followed the calendar year. semaphores were phased out in april/may 55 (US market) so your car would have semaphores. my only doubt being the three day delivery time to hollywood!
by my reckoning your car would have had egg style tail lights (oct 54), I'm not an expert on these but see no reason why a more effective reflector couldn't be fitted at the factory...

Aaaaahhhhh. So the date is in euro format. Haha. That explains a lot. I was reading it as July, not January.

As far as the taillights. M018 was the code. I assumed it to mean snowflake tail lights. So it means Egg according to an old thread. That is great information since I was trying to figure out what taillights went on it. At some point early in its life, someone retrofitted peanuts and large taillights. I am assuming 1962 since they are peanuts and larger taillights (not snowflakes).

Yes, 3 days is a very fast delivery time by boat... so seems a little off.

I do find it super cool that it was delivered to Hollywood and has been local here ever since. It would have been sold at Competition Motors which was the dealer at the time. I am the third owner.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

aaahh, now I understand your confusion over dates...would be better if people wrote the month in letters rather than numbers.

René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I would assume that the 'delivery' date actually refers to the date that it was delivered to the shipping vessel. VW wouldn't have had any way to know the actual day it arrived in the US.

I got my certificate in 2016, before the issuing agency changed. It is marked with the date of production (spelled out as 14 June 1954) and the date it "left the factory" (19 June 1954). Apparently the newer certificates are formatted differently, and confusingly. Mine was shipped to San Francisco, a couple of miles from where I live, so that pleased me.

Mine also has M018, "larger reflector in brake light." Obviously it had hearts. I can only assume that the factory had some (small) improvement for US-bound cars.
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
I would assume that the 'delivery' date actually refers to the date that it was delivered to the shipping vessel. VW wouldn't have had any way to know the actual day it arrived in the US.

Fair point. I did have that thought and it does seem to check out with what I am seeing on other certificates.

Now to get one for my 58...
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Birth Certificate and data sheet ordered yesterday for my newly acquired 1960 Ghia and its numbers matching engine. Anxious to see how long it takes to get to me
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Just got my birth certificate for one of my 53 ovals and for the color/finish it says “Not Deposited” I’m assuming this is meaning the old “Cannot be identified”. Is that what they are meaning or did it come primered?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

ok so got mine in less than a month. Mine did NOT have the engine number even though i provided them with one?????

anyone?
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

obus wrote:
ok so got mine in less than a month. Mine did NOT have the engine number even though i provided them with one?????

anyone?

It's been a few years since I've ordered one, but they should have let you know either way if the engine number you provided is that of the original engine or not.

Email them about it and I'm sure they will get it fixed. When I ordered one for my Westy a few years back, they messed up the first one really bad so I ended up getting a new corrected one.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
obus wrote:

anyone?

It's been a few years since I've ordered one, but they should have let you know either way if the engine number you provided is that of the original engine or not.

Email them about it and I'm sure they will get it fixed. When I ordered one for my Westy a few years back, they messed up the first one really bad so I ended up getting a new corrected one.

I will try. Its done differently now because it is a new issuing agency and they state that any information they give is exactly what they have. So who knows? i have the vin and engine # on the original service booklet that came with the car so at least i have some documentation
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I have now received my birth certificate in Australia: interesting options
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 61

Jump to: