Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWTECHEDITOR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Good Afternoon, Harry,

Agreed, I suppose that if I sold the car, it would only be my word saying it was the original engine. You would have to go through the whole hassle of getting a birth certificate in your name to prove (or disprove my word). And yes, it probably would be nice if that number were on official paper.

But, I got that piece of paper to prove to myself that it is the original engine, I really don't so much care about somebody else's opinion. I tend to keep cars for a long time anyway, so it is primarily for my own satisfaction. I might add that my number is the same as is written inthe original owner's manual.

Do you know if any other vehicle manufacturers offer any sort of service similar to what VW (and I think Porsche) has? If so, I wonder what their policy might be...

Art LeBrun
vwtecheditor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

VWTECHEDITOR wrote:

Do you know if any other vehicle manufacturers offer any sort of service similar to what VW (and I think Porsche) has? If so, I wonder what their policy might be...

The only one I'm aware of (offhand) is Chrysler, which will send the original build card for the car (which lists even more than what we get from VW).
https://www.chryslerclub.org/PDF%20files/Chrysler_Historical_Build_Record_Request.pdf
https://moparblog.com/did-you-know-that-chrysler-has-all-the-build-records-for-pre-1967-cars/

However, you need to basically prove you have the car in hand ("Copies of the registration, title, or bill of sale must be included with your order. The owners name and serial number/VIN must be on the document.")

As well, it appears as though many cars have the engine number as part of their VIN (actually mandated in the US for 1968 model years - why does that not seem to be accurate for VW?), making the request a non-issue.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWTECHEDITOR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Good Evening, Harry,

In several of my previous jobs, I've had occasion to study VW VINS (I know, get a life). There is a some information to be had starting with model year 1965, but LOTS more from 1981 on.

With the advent of the 17 digit VIN for model year 1981, VW and Audi put an engine descriptor in position 5. To the best of my knowledge, there was no engine information in the VIN/chassis number prior to 1981.

So, for example, my 1991 Jetta 2 door N/A Diesel, position 5 is "G". If it was an "ECO" Diesel, that would be an "F". If it happened to be a non-ECO regular turbo-Diesel, position 5 would be an "H" (although regular turbo Diesels were not sold here in the USA that model year). Those codes will vary from year-to-year. As you know, that basic VIN structure is mandated by our Govt. Cars sold in places where that structure is not required often have a lot of ZZZs in the VIN and some incomplete bodies were manufactured before a market country had been determined.

As an aside, I see you are looking for Albuquerque dealer info. As it happens, one of my '69 Beetles came from Art Janpol in late '68. Small world as they say.

Art LeBrun
vwtecheditor
1965_Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Quote:
Im shocked with how difficult they make

The billing/address form didn't even contain a field to enter the state that I live in. Then after squeezing it in the city field I get the error:

“Please specify a regionId in shipping address.”

I then contacted them via email and received the following response:

Hallo david,
Ihre Antwort zur Support-Anfrage #359618 wurde gespeichert.
Ihr Support-Team von VW Classicparts
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Volkswagen Classic Parts

Weser-Ems Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Domicile: Bremen
Registergericht/Court of Registry: Amtsgericht Bremen
HRB Nr./Commercial Register No.: 4392
Geschäftsführer/Executive Directors: Arne Gruber, Dr Peter Porbeck
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

pacifcoflyr wrote:
Just arrived today, totally worth it if you haven't got one! Very cool!!

Aloha, brudah. What was the time from purchase to arrival at your door? I ordered mine last week and want to make sure I have a general idea of turn-around. Thanks for any insight.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

After clearing up the back an forth between VW and myself about typ of payment...an how to interpret what exactly their asking for. From this date 08-21 to todays date, Ive yet to receive mine, though I did get a 2 page download yesterday that the hardcopy may be in the mail?

My opinion is screw it...to much for to little..from someone who gives a shit < VW inc.
Save your money and buy your VW something it actually needs.

Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Do you have to have the car registered? I'm in the process applying for my title. i don't have it. will they still process? also the car is in pieces, so the picture will show that

Picture of a VIN is somewhat difficult as its faint. maybe i can get better lighting. i don't want to go through all the headache if they push back.
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

You do not need to have the car registered. I expect they will provide a birth certificate for any VW you have a VIN for.
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
After clearing up the back an forth between VW and myself about typ of payment...an how to interpret what exactly their asking for. From this date 08-21 to todays date, Ive yet to receive mine, though I did get a 2 page download yesterday that the hardcopy may be in the mail?

My opinion is screw it...to much for to little..from someone who gives a shit < VW inc.
Save your money and buy your VW something it actually needs.

Thomas

I finally gave up. I'm done trying. Too bad. I really wanted to get a certificate for my double cab. It used to be so easy, fun and the certificates had helpful information. But too frustrating to deal with these folks these days.

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I got mine between two and three weeks after ordering. After off-and-on issues with the online ordering process, I called and ordered over the phone. I speak German fluently, but they speak English fluently as well haha. It comes in great form and was better than the others I ordered over the years. Still, I say nay to using the online ordering form. Poop to that!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Slick_50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I ordered mine a week or so ago with no problem using a CC. Make sure your card accepts foreign transactions, or you might have to call your issuer and authorize the purchase ahead of time.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Slick_50 wrote:
I ordered mine a week or so ago with no problem using a CC. Make sure your card accepts foreign transactions, or you might have to call your issuer and authorize the purchase ahead of time.

You are correct Slick_50. I forgot about that. I did have to contact my bank ahead of time to inform them to anticipate this international transaction and afterwards, there were no issues with payment going through and subsequently receiving my Sun Bug's birth certificate.
Slick_50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Creative Native great to hear! I've wanted one for years but my vin plate was missing. Unbelievably I found it recently and ordered the birth certificate right away.
66bugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Hello,
Like many people, I bought one of those Volkswagen birth certificates for my 66 beetle. It was processing for a week or two before I went on the site today and it said “closed”. I was confused, as I never got an email explaining this. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I ordered Joan's "Birth Certificate" January 12th.
It showed up today!
Can't believe it only took two weeks. I expected the turnaround to be much longer.
I went for the "Deluxe" certificate. It's a very nice presentation
She was built December 6, 1966
Delivered USA January 12, 1967.
Because she was originally sold in Connecticut I'm fairly certain she was delivered at the Port of New York & distributed to the dealer through World Wide VW Corp.

Not sure why some are having troubles. Maybe VW is having staffing issues?

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Slick_50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Received my certificate yesterday, took about 5-6 weeks which is perfectly fine. Very excited but I thought it would have a little more info such as original purchaser. Either way very cool to know original color and definite proof it is a Hoffman split.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Slick_50 wrote:
Received my certificate yesterday, took about 5-6 weeks which is perfectly fine. Very excited but I thought it would have a little more info such as original purchaser. Either way very cool to know original color and definite proof it is a Hoffman split.

I'm sure the original purchaser information would be kept confidential, but it should indicate the Country of Destination, or at least mine did.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Slick_50 wrote:

I'm sure the original purchaser information would be kept confidential, but it should indicate the Country of Destination, or at least mine did.

I'm fairly sure the factory only knew which VW distributor purchased the car. The dealers ordered the cars through the various VW distributors, not directly from the factory.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I have considered getting a Birth Cert, but after hearing how the process can often be frustrating I guess the original Warranty Voucher will have to suffice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I have to say that I have been ordering VW birth certificates since the early 90's and have never had a problem (this translates as many, many VWs). I had a '66 21 window Bus in '93 and I called the museum in Germany to order the birth certificate. I paid with my credit card over the phone and they faxed it to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 61

Jump to: