Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
…I guess the original Warranty Voucher will have to suffice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pretty badass. I only know my original engine due to title/reg being under that number and not the vin. Are you the original owner too or did it come with purchase?

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered mine Jan 7th and received it today Feb 17th. Has anyone seen the delivered to location as being “VWoA Personal” before? Wonder if it was used for promotional use or what that means? Also has M86 which is unknown.

Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I got mine three weeks (and €129) after ordering. One question is "manufacturing date" and "delivery date." It rolled off the shop floor in Osnabrueck January 27 and made it to Washington by February 2?

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

My vert took 11 days from Osnabrueck to San Francisco back in 1955 Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Those shippers are amazing.

I ask because the delivery date is my mother's birthday, so am trying to clarify if that's the day she bought it as a gift for herself, the day it landed in the US, the day it arrived at the dealership? It may all be "a best guess" from the Certificate people, but that delivery date made me go hmmmm.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I think "Delivery Date" is still the "Left factory on" date.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone saying there was a known record of when it was "Delivered" to a dealer in the USA and this information was passed back to VW Germany.

Also:
Delivered to where?
To the arrival port?
To the distributor?
To the dealer showroom?
To the customer?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll go with that unless convinced otherwise!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

VWTECHEDITOR wrote:
Good Afternoon, Guys,

VW will confirm an original engine number if you list it on the application form. To quote; "Your engine number is the original one since date of delivery". The delivery date being to the port for shipment, not retail delivery to the customer.

With the increasing value on old VWs and the premium placed on "numbers matching" cars it comes down to three words: Fraud Prevention & Protection.

Suppose you had a VW with no engine, it being long gone. If you had an original engine number from a birth certificate, it would be easy to stamp that old number on a new un-numbered case and say it was the original engine. Sure, it is unethical, immoral, possibly criminal and surely fattening, but there are some who would do it. Just sayin'.
Funny thing is, back in the old days, transferring engine numbers to a new VW supplied engine was what VW told us to do. Check it out:

Art LeBrun
vwtecheditor

My gut feeling is, they were advised to not be a party to counterfeiting original engine numbers. My personal feeling is, what does it hurt? Actual original or "Numbers matching" is almost the same and a recently created numbers matching replica would probably be better in every way than the original. I mean, really, none of these cars did anything special with those original engines, except wore out.
Not like they won LeMans or something.
And taht someone would try to make a replacement motor with that much attention to detail...
Your point of restamping the exchange is a good one as well.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I bought the one for my 64 Bus from Stiftung Auto Museum and got it fast. I can't find the order link anymore so I'm try to order from https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/

In the shipping page there is no option for USA. Is there something I'm missing? Did something happen?

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

ManFromNapa wrote:
I bought the one for my 64 Bus from Stiftung Auto Museum and got it fast. I can't find the order link anymore so I'm try to order from https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/

In the shipping page there is no option for USA. Is there something I'm missing? Did something happen?

I figured it out. I had to reload the page and specify USA English. It was described here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95862&postorder=desc

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaddyGrasshopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered for my 67, everything seemed to work fine. Paid with a Visa.

I don't expect that this will be life changing, but that's OK. It has the feel of basically being an expensive keepsake but I love this kind of stuff and it's my money haha.

I am pretty sure my 67 is an original Java Green car (it's had some bad resprays, but I think it's down in there). The options might be interesting, and I'm interested to see where it landed in North America. The previous owner (a good friend of mine) bought it from a dealership in 2000, and has no knowledge of its history before then. It seems like it was probably a West Coast vehicle (and maybe even an Oregon local) based on being here and very clean underneath, but who knows?

Anyways, I'll update timeframe and results when it arrives!
DaddyGrasshopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Got mine yesterday, so it was about 3 weeks from order to delivery.

Mine came as two pages, with the "Special Configuration" being on the second page (basically just the US spec equipment). Unfortunately it doesn't list the delivery location like others, mine just says "Country of Destination: USA" so that will remain a mystery. But hey, at least it confirmed it is indeed an original Java Green on Gazelle vehicle!

It does come in a card-stock folder that's a little nicer than just your typical school folder and the pages of the actual birth certificate are foiled along the left edges.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Has anyone determined what they mean when the color/finish says “Not Deposited” I’m assuming this is meaning the old “Cannot be identified” or is it meaning that it came Primed?
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Adding my recent experience to the thread.

I had a lot of trouble placing an order for the certificate and data sheet. I wanted to use the CC option, but no matter what I tried, it would error out before I was able to even enter a CC number. I was finally able to get it to process using the PayPal option and received an email confirmation.

I have a question for any of you who have had success receiving your certificates and data sheets. Do you have to provide the engine number in order for the engine number to appear in the paperwork? I did not include it, as I'm hoping the data sheet will confirm which of the three blocks I have is the original (if any of them are).
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

^ my understanding is that if you supply an engine number with your certificate application they will state 'your engine number is the original one since date of delivery' if it is the original. see alan brase's post above...
they do not list the actual number, so you won't be able to match it to a block. this is from the faq on the certificate site

Classics with so-called matching numbers are particularly popular. When ordering a Volkswagen certificate or data sheet, you have, therefore, the option of specifying the engine code, including the engine number of the currently installed unit. We can compare this with the number of the engine installed at the factory and tell you whether it is still the original engine. In all other cases, however, we cannot communicate the engine number installed in the vehicle ex works for security reasons – so that matching numbers are not created using sandpaper and number punches.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Gotcha. Well that's a bummer. My bug (owned for a month) has a motor in it, and two extra blocks, one of which the previous owner "thinks" is the original. At the end of the day, it doesn't much matter, but it would still be nice to know which one is the original, if any of them are.

To be continued...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Post the engine numbers and chassis number. While not strictly connected, the manufacture dates of the two can be compared to see if the lead time between them seems reasonable.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

The chassis is from Oct of 59, best I can tell, as it starts with 264.
The engine blocks I have are as follows:

On this page, at the top, it says "Each chassis number is the last vehicle produced in that month." Does anyone know if that applies to the engine numbers as well (i.e. number listed is the last one produced for that month)?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

It doesn't seem that any of these are the original, but I'm open to alternate theories.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:
On this page, at the top, it says "Each chassis number is the last vehicle produced in that month." Does anyone know if that applies to the engine numbers as well (i.e. number listed is the last one produced for that month)?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

It doesn't seem that any of these are the original, but I'm open to alternate theories.

Yes, the VIn # and engine # should match up very closely with the charts
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I went ahead and submitted the order for the Cert and Data Sheet based on the 316 motor. Worst they can tell me is what I'm already expecting, which is that it's not the original motor. To be continued...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 61

Jump to: