Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Here’s an example of one of my birth certificates that shows that it should have came with another page.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

yeah def not in there. Grrrr
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

So as bizarre as it may seem, i opened up the folder again(i have picked up these pages at least 3 times each and all of a sudden the mcode page breaks away from the page it was under!!!

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Tried 3 times since buying my van to get a certificate - told each time fiche was missing from the archives. Tried again last month and it’s dropped through my letterbox the morning.

I’m absolutely over the moon…my van was missing its m code plate so this info is of great help. Great service here, couldn’t be happier.
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I have just received my birth certificate for my Sept 1965 (1966) kombi.
There's a few questions I have for the experts out there...

Note under special configurations it says CKD - completely knocked down production. We had a vw plant here in Nz so I'm assuming that means it was built here in Nz.

Finish - not deposited....as you'd expect as it was made from parts sent over?

Interior 83 / grid grey / leatherette .... I've searched and can't find anything specific for grid grey.....

Now the m codes....
M454 - cannot be identified
M313 - cannot be identified
CKD - completely knocked down production

I've searched far and wide and can't find those m codes anywhere....can anyone help?

If may not have anything to do with them but the busses first owner was stjohn ambulance and it was used as a people mover to get semi invalid patients from point a to point b.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Matt

swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Post pics of what the bus looks like now. Still have the Ambu sign?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Post pics of what the bus looks like now. Still have the Ambu sign?

Hi swharris. Check my forum thread titled....

1966 NZ splitty, was ambulance now dormobile roof camper project

Unfortunately don't have any of the Ambulance stuff. 🥺
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I've read with interest the many and various experiences folks have had with getting a birth certificate, about discrepancies on the certificates and possible reasons why.
I got the birth certificate for my '74 Super Beetle Sun Bug and it verified that it is indeed a Special Edition Sun Bug, and all the information was correct except for the date of manufacture.
The door decal says it was built on 05/74 which matches the information on TheSamba VIN lists, but the Birth Certificate states that it was manufactured on 04/06/1974.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this discrepancy?

Thanks, Bugone
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Bugone wrote:

The door decal says it was built on 05/74 which matches the information on TheSamba VIN lists, but the Birth Certificate states that it was manufactured on 04/06/1974.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this discrepancy?

Thanks, Bugone

I'm wondering if the birth certificate gives the European date format of DD/MM/YYYY and the date it passed quality control while the sticker gives the date it was made, awaiting quality control (perhaps 31/05/74)?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Good question Harry. The date format on the Birth Certificate is 04.06.1974.
So if that is the European date format it would mean date of manufacture in June.
I thought maybe the date of manufacture on the door decal, 05/74, could be when it entered the U.S., but surely those are applied at the factory.
Additionally, the "Delivery Date" on the Birth Certificate is 12.06.1974.
I assume that means when it was delivered to the U.S. Dealer, but seems like a long time before it arrived in the U.S.

And unless the VIN lists are incorrect on The Samba Technical Page, that shows the VIN to have been manufactured in May of 1974. Of course it's not a huge issue, just interesting it would not match the door decal or the VIN listing.
The reason I was looking into it was that the paint code changed somewhere along about May. Prior to the change the Sun Bug paint code was L98C, then it was changed to L99B. Both can be referred to as Harvest Gold Metallic; L98C can be referred to as Hellas Metallic; sometimes it was referred to as Sun Gold. Just the information on the paint code can get very convoluted for the Sun Bugs!
Are we having fun yet? this is FUN!

Thanks for your reply.
Brian
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Harry, I think you are correct in saying they are using the European date format. I note that at the top of this page there is a picture of a certificate for a 1965 VW Kombi which is spelled out as Manufactured Date 9th September 1965, Delivery Date 10 September 1965.
Assuming VW used the European Date format for my '74 Sun Bug that would make sense: Manufactured on June 4th and Delivered on June 12th.

Still I wonder why the door decal says 05/74?

Brian
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Bugone wrote:
Harry, I think you are correct in saying they are using the European date format. I note that at the top of this page there is a picture of a certificate for a 1965 VW Kombi which is spelled out as Manufactured Date 9th September 1965, Delivery Date 10 September 1965.
Assuming VW used the European Date format for my '74 Sun Bug that would make sense: Manufactured on June 4th and Delivered on June 12th.

Still I wonder why the door decal says 05/74?

Brian

Speculating, but since chassis number is used to truly identify a car, the 5/74 date (very late May?) may have been when the chassis number got assigned and construction begun, even though it took another week to manufacture the car and then have a doorjamb/dash/frunk to affix tags to.

The later delivery date could be due to it traveling first to a overseas shipper (even if "owned" by VW), then to a USA distributor, and thereafter to one or more dealers on its way to the final sale location.
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Thanks KTPhil. Your explanation makes sense and is probably the the best we're going to get. If we did a survey we might find that most Birth Certificate "Date of Manufacture" would not match the door decal.
As you say, it's the VIN and the month built that matter.

Thanks to you both for your insight and help with this.
Brian
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

May must have been one of those odd months for VW, I’ve got a 56 bus that according to the Vin and the charts here on thesamba should be mid May but the Birth certificate lists it as first week of June.
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Very Happy
Danny79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ok, submitting one for a October 1956 sunroof bug. Let's see, I am curious as to what color it was.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered one October 8th and it arrived on October 28th, fastest I’ve ever received one after ordering.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Trying to order another BC but the USA is not listed in the dropdown to check out or advance the cart. anyone else having this issue? Only European countries are listed.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

FritzCP wrote:
Trying to order another BC but the USA is not listed in the dropdown to check out or advance the cart. anyone else having this issue? Only European countries are listed.
I just ordered one on November 18th for my '75 convertible. Did not have this issue. Last one I ordered took months, hopefully this one arrives as quickly as others here lately.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Quote:
I just ordered one on November 18th for my '75 convertible. Did not have this issue. Last one I ordered took months, hopefully this one arrives as quickly as others here lately.

I just tried again and was able to order normally. Thanks for confirming.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 60 of 61

Jump to: