Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Posting my experience.

Payment was on 10/21/18 and I got my certificate on 12/26/18.

Found out my engine does match with my 57 so I'm stoked about that. But it is curious they can't include that on the certificate itself. Does anyone know why they can't do that? It seems quite nebulous that they cant.
igtoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

garagebandking41 wrote:
Posting my experience.

Found out my engine does match with my 57 so I'm stoked about that. But it is curious they can't include that on the certificate itself. Does anyone know why they can't do that? It seems quite nebulous that they cant.

It’s forbidden in Germany and some other countries to remark case engine. If you know the original number perhaps you could do it, which is forbidden there.

Ighor Toth
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

igtoth wrote:
garagebandking41 wrote:
Posting my experience.

It’s forbidden in Germany and some other countries to remark case engine. If you know the original number perhaps you could do it, which is forbidden there.

I think it's simpler than that. On much older birth certificates, they would often include the engine number if it was available on their database. I believe they stopped posting the engine numbers when it was pointed out that an unscrupulous person could fake that to increase the value of the vehicle. Now they will only confirm numbers whish the applicant provides. If you already have the correct engine, then there's no harm in verifying it.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
igtoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
igtoth wrote:
garagebandking41 wrote:
Posting my experience.

I think it's simpler than that. On much older birth certificates, they would often include the engine number if it was available on their database. I believe they stopped posting the engine numbers when it was pointed out that an unscrupulous person could fake that to increase the value of the vehicle. Now they will only confirm numbers whish the applicant provides. If you already have the correct engine, then there's no harm in verifying it.

If you send them the correct engine number VW will confirm positive

Ighor Toth
stultis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered on November 10th 2018 for our 1971 Westfalia.

Recieved today February 28th, 2019.

2 months faster than the last one!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered my documents for my 73 Thing on Sunday. Now its a wait and see to see if it is the original engine.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I am having trouble with the credit card accepting my card numbers. Not to mention it took me forever to fill out because the credit card page was in German. Page that I filled out my information about the Vin number and engine number was in English, so it was a breeze. Does anyone have a fax or email that I could send information directly to the museum? I would also like to include my transaxle and front beam numbers to verify. I also saw on the website that they are discontinuing the service in just a couple of days and someone else will take it over on June 1. Thanks
https://www.automuseum-volkswagen.de/en/certificates-and-data-sheets.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

There is an email in the first post of this thread but I don't know if it's current or if you can send credit card info that way.

I don't know if they have the front beam and transmission information in the records to verify those. I can't recall anyone ever posting that they had those confirmed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I didn't realize they were shutting down the service, or rather handing it off:

Quote:
Bye-bye, document generator!

Dear Customers,

After more than 25 years, the AutoMuseum Volkswagen is discontinuing the service of issuing vehicle identity certificates on 21 May 2019. From 1 June 2019, you can order the certificates and data sheets via Volkswagen Classic Parts. We would like to thank our customers for their long-standing loyalty and wish everybody a safe journey at all times!

Your AutoMuseum Volkswagen Team

I wonder how it will differ? Cost? Presentation?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

i wonder what this means for me? I ordered mine on March 13 and they definitely charged it on my card. Still yet to get anything back. I'll give it til June then i guess i have to start making phone calls
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

obus wrote:
i wonder what this means for me? I ordered mine on March 13 and they definitely charged it on my card. Still yet to get anything back. I'll give it til June then i guess i have to start making phone calls

Wondering the same...I have 2 different orders pending. The first, for a '51 split window bug, was acknowledged by the AutoMuseum on 11/28/18. The second, for a '60 double cab, was acknowledged by the AutoMuseum on 1/18/19. I've heard stories about slow turnover in the past. And I'm sure more enthusiasts are requesting these certificates. So I'm guessing they've been a bit overwhelmed with the volume of requests. Patience is probably the best prescription here...

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

There's this note on the currrent (very soon to be discontinued) VW Birth Certificate website:

Bye, certificate generator!
Dear Customers,

After more than 25 years, the AutoMuseum Volkswagen will discontinue vehicle identity certificate service on May 21, 2019 at 0:00 am.
The good news: As of June 1, 2019, you can order certificates and data sheets online via Volkswagen Classic Parts.
We would like to thank our customers for the years of loyalty and wish them good luck!

Your AutoMuseum Volkswagen Team

6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Anybody have a web address for this place?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
Anybody have a web address for this place?

There does not yet appear to be a link to the certificate website on the new VW Classic Parts site ...likely because it is not planned to be activated until June 1st.
Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

This is awesome. I am inheriting a 78 SB 'Vert from my mother and this will really help round out the story. Thank you all for your experiences.
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered mine a few hours ago - site says turnaround time is up to 14 days. Not overly hopeful as previously museum said microfiche unreadable for my van....but I'm hoping they (VW classic parts) may have different equipment that can clean up the image. Will let you know. Process was very straightforward...with option to add pictures or vin, van etc
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Here's the new link: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/zertifikat.html

I find it interesting that they require quite a bit more information than VW did:

- proof of ownership (scan or photo of registration, purchase document etc.)
- photo of the VIN (must be legible)
- photo of the car itself (at least one)
- owner's ID card (scan or photo with information other than name blacked out)

Additional photos and documents are optional but obviously encouraged.

I'm very curious to see what the new certificate looks like (the photo on the site is too small to read). Will it have more information? Less? But I'll have to wait for others to post. I'm not inclined to spend €76 on one since I already have the previous version.

The promised turnaround of 14 days is sure a lot better than the former 6-8 months!
Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I just went through the entire process and they don't send to the U.S. Only European countries listed. And...Egypt. Will inquire within.
Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Their response to my query on why no US certificates:

We take over the production of certificates from the Volkswagen Automuseum on 01.06.2019. Unfortunately, we are unable to tell you when the certificates will be available to US customers. We are working on a solution of the problem.

Ihr Support-Team von VW Classicparts,
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Volkswagen Classic Parts
MarkP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I just waited 4 1/2 months for a birth certificate for my 1967 Deluxe 21 window bus and.... ugh, they made a major mistake and identified my bus as a kombi. My VIN, stamped in the engine compartment, starts with 257, which corresponds with a 1967 deluxe bus, but they identified it as a type 231, kombi.

I emailed Susanne Wiersch at the museum (see a few pages back in this thread), it will be interesting to see if I can get it resolved with the change in which department handles birth certificates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 61

Jump to: