Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interesting Samba Statistics?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't know how many posts I have made until I enter this one. It's not something I thought to watch till now. It's an interesting thing, the way people participate here.

The search has been discussed, over and over again. There is a lot of good info to be found, I've done it many times. The problem is you have to weed through a lot of stuff sometimes to find what you need. Subject titles are often not helpful in finding answers as they may not relate to the topic.

"Change Your Fuel lines"... That's just funny to me. But then I see it often.

Do we have any silent members out there reading this right now that can tell us why you hold back and don't post or post more?
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search for the phrase "change your fuel lines" turns up 313 threads...
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search for 'pimpmobile' shows 21 results.
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick search results to show the numbers. Sorry this is a little off topic but it should support the search frustration issue. First results are open search within the vanagon thread, second are for title only within the vanagon threads.

Open search query = Number of results
LED = 906
vanagon syndrom = 26
Headlights = 701

Title search query = Number of results
LED = 51
Vanagon syndrom = 1
Headlights = 66

As you can see, "use the search Luke" can be a little intimidating... Is there anyway to make this a more user friendly process? Then perhaps their would be more active members, if they weren't getting jumped on for asking about LED's when there is 906 threads on the topic... Wink
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:
I have seen folks get frustrated and leave because of rule #1, "use the search". The rule does keep the same things from coming up over and over again for long-timers, but it also makes the site less helpful for newbies, and less welcoming. It is already at a point where most common things have been addressed in detail, so what then do we talk about here except our trips and custom work- very interesting, but I'd like to see us be welcoming and helpful to newbies by willingly steering them to existing threads perhaps.- I am still pretty much a noob myself. This is probably off topic as well, sorry. I am very grateful for the community, and the wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm here- thanks.

Some things just seem to slip through the cracks though. "Fuel Lines" search for example. Even if you limit your search to "Search title only" and only in the Vanagon forum, you still get 70 hits. And out of that 70, 22 of them say "replace, replacing, change, or changing" fuel lines in the title. A couple of them are titled exactly the same.

So, then you start to read each of those threads, and lo and behold, much of the same information in each thread.

I'm just saying.
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Only one member has posted more that 40,000 times.
How did you become an officially sponsored Volkswagen Club? What hoops did you have to jump through?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: