Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tow bar FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Tow bar FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398485&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Tow bar FAQ[/url]

We have a tow bar for our Thing, but we are buying a non-operating 76 bus and need to know if it will work for that too. Never had a bus before so I don't know if the front beam construction/dimensions are similar.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the bus tow bar is longer than the one for a Thing/Beetle.

Bus tow bars work on Things but not vice-versa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UHaul time.. Smile
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar advice Reply with quote

ricroz wrote:
We have a tow bar for our Thing, but we are buying a non-operating 76 bus and need to know if it will work for that too.

No, it will not work. A bus beam is bigger. You need a bus tow bar or like Emeritusx said U-Haul.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bus is an automatic, you cannot tow it on its rear wheels, without removing the rear axles. If you tow it very far with the wheels on the ground, you will burn up the governor in the transmission because it will be getting no lubrication without the engine running.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
If the bus is an automatic, you cannot tow it on its rear wheels, without removing the rear axles.

Yes you can, as long as you don't go over 30mph, per the owner's manual. Removing the axles would be preferable if going any sort of distance or over 30mph.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:
If the bus is an automatic, you cannot tow it on its rear wheels, without removing the rear axles.

Yes you can, as long as you don't go over 30mph, per the owner's manual. Removing the axles would be preferable if going any sort of distance or over 30mph.

30 miles at 30 mph. How many people now days can even drive at 30 mph.
He is talking about farther that that.
And I have seen too many automatic transmissions with the governor burned up to tell anyone to even try it.
I have been building these transmissions since 1968, when they first appeared.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
He is talking about farther that that.

Really? What do you base that statement on? I don't see anywhere in the post where he discusses how far he needs to tow it. I'm not discounting your advice and I do agree with you and I know your experience but the faact remains that you can in fact tow an automatic Bus with the rear wheels on the ground for short distances if you go slowly. Not saying I would recommend it, just that it is possible.

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Not saying I would recommend it, just that it is possible.

It's possible to tow it 1000 miles at highway speed. You'll damage the tranny, but you sure can do it if you like.

And yes.. there is no mention of the distance.

It's not that hard to remove the axles so I would do it unless you're moving it around the shop or down the driveway.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
And yes.. there is no mention of the distance.

Sure there is Glenn, it's 30 miles @ 30mph, just as RussWolfe said.

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does he even mention that this is an automatic? I believe the question was will his thing bar work on his bus. not, "can I get advice on how to tow a vehicle". he owns a tow bar, so chances are he is familiar with towing procedures.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverside61 wrote:
does he even mention that this is an automatic? I believe the question was will his thing bar work on his bus. not, "can I get advice on how to tow a vehicle". he owns a tow bar, so chances are he is familiar with towing procedures.

No he doesn't mention wether it's an automatic or not, but regardless the advice given is relevant and in future searches will show up for people with similar questions. Obviously just owning a towbar doesn't mean you know anything about it or he wouldn't have asked if he could use the towbar from his Thing on a Bus in the first place. Rolling Eyes

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
silverside61 wrote:

No he doesn't mention wether it's an automatic or not, but regardless the advice given is relevant and in future searches will show up for people with similar questions. Obviously just owning a towbar doesn't mean you know anything about it or he wouldn't have asked if he could use the towbar from his Thing on a Bus in the first place. Rolling Eyes

Are we sure that's it's a VW and not a school bus? Rolling Eyes

I give up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it dosn't mean he knows how to use it, of course, but he is asking if it will fit, obviously, showing that he is intelligent enough to be thinking ahead that the dimensions of a bus beam may be different then that of a thing. which means to me, he is probably no dummy. and if it is just a reference for future searches, anyone would be safe to just remove the axles and not risk gov. damage on an automatic. regardless of speed. who's to say that they wouldnt get some damage anyway on a 30+ year old transmission. things break all the time. I believe russ wolfe's info was the safest, least risky advice given on the subject of automatic towing.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverside61 wrote:
I believe russ wolfe's info was the safest, least risky advice given on the subject of automatic towing.

I didn't disagree with Russ's advice, I was simply stating what Volkswagen has to say on the subject--you know Volkswagen-they designed and built it right??

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the feedback. Yes we do drive quite slow around town in these parts, but even Montanans drive faster 30 MPH on the freeway, at least 45 Laughing
I wonder if a two-wheeled Uhaul car dolly, with the rear wheels on the dolly, will be the answer. Ofcourse the other option is a full trailer. However because the engine is non-op, we will have to use a wench/come-along to get it loaded either way.
My concern about the full trailer is having the weight up high and the need to strap it down much better for going through any curvy mountain passes.
As far as the dolly, I've never towed any vehicle this way, much less "backwards", so I'm concerned about hauling it with the front-end "steered" wheels on the ground. Should I leave the steering locked or free?
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T TOW IT WITH THE REAR WHEELS ON THE DOLLY. Front wheels on the dolly, transmission in neutral, key on and steering unlocked.

Spend the extra $10 and get the full trailer. Are you saying then that it's an automatic Bus? Even if it were and you're set on getting the dolly and not the trailer spend 20 minutes and pull the axles and you'll be fine. You still haven't said what transmission is in the Bus or how far you need to tow it. Regardless, if you search the forum, towing has been covered a LOT. You should be able to find the answers to all of your questions.

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
Dondobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. Idea Do you or a friend have AAA??? I've had them tow dead ones for me before. Your friend or relitive can call and say they are with you and it will cover your vehicle!! They only ask whats wrong with it (it won't run!?!) and where do you want it towed to. If it is under 100 miles, it is free.
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what vdt said. go for the extra ten bucks on the full AT, auto transport. over the tow dolly. the tow dollys do not back up. it is like having another joint in your steering. you are much better having all the wheels off the ground. that is, if you have a heavy enough tow vehicle. uhaul will need your info on what you are towing, and what you are towing with. their computer will say if you can use it.

as far as AAA goes, i just recently looked into it, a few weeks ago, and their policy changed, unless you had the platinum membership i think it was. they only allowed 5 mile tow, to anywhere, or unlimited tow miles but only to the tow trucks home garage. might want to look into it if you go this route. needless to say, i did not buy the AAA membership
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I apologize for the confusion my question has caused. I should explain that there has been a problem with my posts; someone has been deleting them. I have been discussing this offline with one of the moderators. I did try to provide all the proper info to the group (i.e. the bus is non-op, I'm going 800 miles, it's an automatic.) I believe the reason for the deletions were because I made my first post on the Type181 forum, a group which I am most active. Anyway, below are the posts which were deleted:

Quote:

Posted: Yesterday 3:22 pm Post subject: Tow bar advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next weekend we are purchasing our first bus, a 76 Westy, but need to tow it home. We have a tow bar for our 73 Thing, so I'm wondering if it will work with the bus, or will there be fit/clearance issues. We need to know ahead of time because the bus is 800 miles away and we have to be prepared one way or another.
Also, it is an automatic, so are there any special towing considerations?
Thanks in advance. -Rick

Posted: Yesterday 10:11 pm Post subject: Tow bar mods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Bug/Thing tow bar. I'd like to modify it to tow a non-op '76 auto Westy we are buying next weekend 800 miles away. My idea is to cut the twin tubes about half way, insert a larger diameter pipe of appropriate length between the cuts, drill 2 holes per side at the appropriate distance, and bolt it all together with grade 8 hardware. I've never owned a bus, much less towed one. So my question is: What is the appropriate overall tow bar length for a bus; and are there any special considerations for towing an automatic?
Thanks in advance, Rick

Regardless, thanks to all for the advice. Looks like we'll be doing the trailer option.
Getting this Westy has been a long time dream finally come true. We are owners of a 71 Super and 73 Thing. Now I'm looking forward to actively participating in the Type 2 group in the near future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: