Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Factory Hardtop mounting with Stock Factory Rollbar?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Stock Factory Hardtop mounting with Stock Factory Rollbar? Reply with quote

Searched, if not enough.....my bad! Just got the Santa Special Hardtop, stock factory 181, at my house for my 1974 Thing.

I have plastic plugs I need to remove as well as swapping the hinges off the soft top until I get the SS TS ones Very Happy

Noticed when we Oh so gently placed it on top, the stock roll bar seems to be in the way. Hardtop posts seem to be right in the way........Pause. Work on it when we have some time to tinker....<Post on TS>

I honestly have been too busy to go back, but, any wisdom? Remove down bars between seats? Bend or refabricate with Aluminum?

I had a fiberjet with my previous 74 and It had side bars but they worked? Same roll cage, factory 4 point(ok so not really a roll cage I know Wink ). It did the clangity clank over heavy terrain but was solid as a rock.

Thanks in advance. I promise this post will be laden with pictures. Only two years searching to get my hardtop...Keep searchin Y'all!

KMann> any others....?
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hardtop was cut a long time ago to fit in with those bars. The rib that the door post supports bolt to was cut open. I can get a couple pictures of the area tomorrow.

It's not something I would recommend for a perfect original hardtop. Done correctly, the modification could look good, but it won't be perfect.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
My hardtop was cut a long time ago to fit in with those bars. The rib that the door post supports bolt to was cut open. I can get a couple pictures of the area tomorrow.

It's not something I would recommend for a perfect original hardtop. Done correctly, the modification could look good, but it won't be perfect.

This is why I was thinking aluminum.... Embarassed Crying or Very sad please pics, FECK,............. <not at you>thanks!
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the pictures completely skipped my mind today..

By the way, just re-read your post. Mine did not have side bars when I got the Thing. It doesn't seem to have any flex issues. I have thought about the idea of making something that would bolt to the top and clamp to the cage, but the hard top doesn't get used enough right now to worry about it.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
Sorry, the pictures completely skipped my mind today..

By the way, just re-read your post. Mine did not have side bars when I got the Thing. It doesn't seem to have any flex issues. I have thought about the idea of making something that would bolt to the top and clamp to the cage, but the hard top doesn't get used enough right now to worry about it.
Thanks for looking. I will take pics this week and post up for the next guy! I need to find the sticky foam rubber pad for the back and front. Also, just noticed I have no bolts. Anyone hook a brother up with the size of the bolts?
Ninja edit. I found the bolts in another thread. 8mmx1.25mmx20mm bolt hexhead. I got them in stainless for 1.10 each. I also picked up the weather stripping foam adhesive tape. Any suggestions on width preferred? I got 3/8' thick by 3/4 foam rubber adhesive strip.
Thanks folks.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got 'em today.. Unfortunately, I do not have the rollbar in the Thing, so I can't show the fit. You can still see where the cut needs to be, and how deep. Please ignore the horrible finish on the top, it needs a good cleaning and repair at some point.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
Ok, got 'em today.. Unfortunately, I do not have the rollbar in the Thing, so I can't show the fit. You can still see where the cut needs to be, and how deep. Please ignore the horrible finish on the top, it needs a good cleaning and repair at some point.

Well, attempted to put the hardtop on after pulling off the side posts yesterday and unfortunately, I am looking at the same thing as above unless I want to remove my factory roll bar which is not going to happen. I am pondering whether or not I want to just sell the hard top now, but after two years of searching.... Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad likely will not.
My previous 74 Thing also had factory rollbar but Fiberjet hard top which fit right over, posts and all. The posts would bang on the roll bar on rough terrain but it was tollerable.

Arrrrggggghhhhh!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: