Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Learn something new everyday
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not admit to using my head to hold the seat up or to putting vinyl tubing on a funnel to fill oil or searching the Bentley and forum for the clutch reservoir. I did learn not to unscrew the armrest adjusting knob.

I did use the search.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
Careful with the bottle opener, I've seen it bite off the glass lip of the bottle more than once.

I've wasted more than a few beers that way, eventually I wised up.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCWesty wrote:
I've owned my van for just over a year and had no idea about the oil filler tube! Came in very handy when I changed my oil today Very Happy

I replaced the engine in my van before I noticed the filler tube! Crying or Very sad

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCWesty wrote:
I've owned my van for just over a year and had no idea about the oil filler tube! Came in very handy when I changed my oil today Very Happy

Didn't know that one either untill I went to add some oil at a service station in Canada. The kid looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked for a funnel. He walked around to the back, pulled the tube out and walked away. Pretty much killed my westy cool. Laughing
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about the oil filler tube before I knew I had a gex. The previous owner showed me the oil tube, but forgot to mention it was a gex Shocked surprise surprise.
EvanDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCWesty wrote:

You lucky dog Very Happy

I've owned mine for 19 and didn't know about it until today Embarassed
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are y'all saying I don't need to empty the back, lift the cushion, take off the lid, unscrew oil cap and pour it in.???? Haven't been paying much attention to this thread but I repent my lapse. Now I have something else to figure out!!! oops reread from the beginning and I guess I still have to do all that.

Clutch reservoir??? I found the brake fluid when I was doing something else. Think I already mentionned that even with the manual I couldn't find the darn WW reservoir. Who thinks of these things, I mean the original designer!!!!

Last edited by DAIZEE on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathan@el
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've definatly fallen victim to the broken bottle lip! It sure is tempting to go ahead and drink the beer anyways though.

Hell, a little broken bottle never stopped me from drinking a beer before. You just have to be careful about glass pieces! If you're really worried you can pour the beer into a glass or something to make sure no glass fell inside the bottle.

And I love that little prop for the rear seat! I found it after owning my van for a month or so. I wondered what the heck it was at first, but figured it must be there for a reason! And it is! A very handy reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save the beer whatever you do. Filter it thru something first tho. I do that with wine corks but I wouldn't want to do it with glass.Suddenly I feel smarter, I knew about the back seat thingy before I bought my Westy.

I find getting into the back seat "trunk" storage a pain in the neck. Personally I'd like to be able to move it higher.
\
nathan@el wrote:
Quote:
I've definatly fallen victim to the broken bottle lip! It sure is tempting to go ahead and drink the beer anyways though.

Hell, a little broken bottle never stopped me from drinking a beer before. You just have to be careful about glass pieces! If you're really worried you can pour the beer into a glass or something to make sure no glass fell inside the bottle.

And I love that little prop for the rear seat! I found it after owning my van for a month or so. I wondered what the heck it was at first, but figured it must be there for a reason! And it is! A very handy reason.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a handy tip for the next, next time you take your battery out.

Ok so this time you are going to struggle because the VW engineers were dumb when they designed the battery box, especially in the camper. If you have removed your battery you know what I mean. So go ahead and take your battery out, get it over with.

Here is the secret. Take a piece of seat belt or webbing. Wrap it around the battery and lower it in the hole that is to small to even fit the damn battery. Now put your battery cables on, take the excess seat belt puit it over the terminals and reinstall battery cover.

So what has the seatbelt accomplished. Insulation from your METAL battery cover and a tool to remove the battery next time. I have a pretty funny two beer story about that stupid metal battery lid. I can be very dangerous.

So now that we have done this little exercise go ahead and take the battery out again. Right!! Friggin genius!!! I can't take credit for this even thouugh I came up with it myself and hopefully others have already done this too. Pass it along. Every Vangon owner should do this.

Oh Yeah for the beginner mechanic guy. Disconnect your Negative battery terminal first. When hooking the battery back up hook up the postive first. Don't ask why, just do it that way.

Back to work. Packing up a pair of bumpers for a neighbor to the Great North.

Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
Are y'all saying I don't need to empty the back, lift the cushion, take off the lid, unscrew oil cap and pour it in.???? Haven't been paying much attention to this thread but I repent my lapse. Now I have something else to figure out!!! oops reread from the beginning and I guess I still have to do all that.

Clutch reservoir??? I found the brake fluid when I was doing something else. Think I already mentionned that even with the manual I couldn't find the darn WW reservoir. Who thinks of these things, I mean the original designer!!!!

Do you have a converted (I-4 [gas], diesel, subaru...) van? If not you should be able to fill your oil through the license plate door. the tube slides out after you take yhe cap off the tube. If you've got an engine conversion of some sort you'll likely have to remove the cushion and hatch
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we include that power mirrors are heated and are activated by the defroster button. A fellow member was asking about it in a different thread.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTFM! Laughing
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not even going to mention the Oscillation Overthruster.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RTFM! Laughing

Not everybody has a manual for their van Rolling Eyes
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha!

I just discovered the seat prop and filler tube while doing some maint.
I have the original manual too...dont read it much.
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Should we include that power mirrors are heated and are activated by the defroster button. A fellow member was asking about it in a different thread.

Ah. I was just about to post something never mind, carry on. Laughing
Past vws: 1977 Champagne Edition I Bus (Cedar)1991 Capri Green Wolfsburg Jetta 1978 Sage Green(Taiga) Transporter 2.0 FI (Paddy) 1980 Inca Brown Rabbit Diesel LS 1969 Karmann (funky weird blue that wasn't original) Ghia Autostick 1991 Bordeaux Red Vanagon GL 1992 Tornado Red GTI 8V
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
RTFM! Laughing

Not everybody has a manual for their van Rolling Eyes

At about $75, the manual would nearly double the price of some vanagons. Laughing Laughing Laughing
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
TroySmith80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinal Tap wrote:
I replaced the engine in my van before I noticed the filler tube! Crying or Very sad

Haha, shoot, me too. My van had a cut off plastic pepsi bottle in the storage nook at the top of the rear cabinet that had been used as a funnel, so i continued to use it. Now i've got a subaru and have to remove the decklid to add oil. Which i'll now only have to do every 4,000 miles!

I did figure out the seat holdup relatively quickly.

I've only had my van since august or september though.
BC Westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other easter eggs in the van besides the rear seat prop and then oli filler?
1981 Westfalia 300,000kms
1982 Westfalia Cali Import 193,000Miles
1982 Westfalia (Auto) 205,000Kms
1984 Vanagon 306,000kms
1987 Vanagon GL 300,000Kms
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: