Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter trafficators / semifore / semiphore thingys
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Zwitter trafficators / semifore / semiphore thingys Reply with quote

Need help from a semifore / trafficator guru. What is the correct semifore for a zwitter. My parts book says 953 021a or 15 953 021. Below are the two that came with the car which I am assuming must be replacements. The left one is 111 953 021C and right one is 111 953 021F. The other confusing issue is the picture in the parts book shows the ribbed style. I am so confused Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither are correct IMO. I think there is evidence that ribbed and grooved were used until the end of '53, and the "3 x 3" numbering scheme was used until late '53 or '54. So 3 x 3 numbered smoothies are not correct for a Zwitter.

I think zwitters would have had either ribbed or grooved, with L numbered parts. If ribbed (SWF) possibly the "improved" version of them without the sliding bulb contact door and the with the longer nosed ribbed arm cover. They should at least be the single screw kind.

Still much mystery about those "long nose" SWFs, but ribbed or grooved for sure on a Zwit.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of shots of the original semaphores from my 11/52 zwitter.

Central Jersey VW Society
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crap why do I know this is going cost me, Who said zwitters are the poor man's split was right....I am going to be poor after this restoration. My zwitter is 11/52. Personally I like the smooth but I want to make it original. Now your part numbers differ from the book. And why does the book give two? Who was running this outfit?? OK who has some and which organ do you need?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW assigned 3 x 3 numbers to the ribbed and grooved after 53/54 as they continued to make them as replacement parts after they started using the smooth ones in production (perhaps those are the numbers in the book). Not sure how long they did this, as I'm certain that it wasn't long before someone figured out "hey, just put the smooth ones in there, and 'upgrade' the car'".

What year is that parts catalog from? Note that it shows the single screw ribbed sem in the drawing.

I have seen about as many 3 x 3 numbered ribbed SWFs as I have L numbered. The L numbered ones are worth more IMO for "those purists".

I have a set of both the SWF ribbed "long nose" ones in the classifieds, as well as a set of grooved SHOs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=876930
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=838083

On the SHOs one sem is dated Sept 1950, and the other March 1952.

I've acquired a could more SHOs since I finished that set and *may* have another '52 date coded one that would make a better match to the 3/52 one. But it's not restored yet.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John, there is evidence that in April 1953, ovals still had ribbed semaphores. Here are pics from Peter Keetmans book titled 'Volkswagenwerk 1953'.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I can't find a date on the catalog but diagrams show zwitters. Strange part is it will show parts I thought came on earlier models such as cable brakes & lever shocks.

D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those parts catalogs have bolt type bindings and could have sections added as they were handed down to the new guy
tazm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
I agree with John, there is evidence that in April 1953, ovals still had ribbed semaphores. Here are pics from Peter Keetmans book titled 'Volkswagenwerk 1953'.

I had a mai 53 with grooved semaphores !
But Now I own a 3/53 zwitter conv with smooth semaphores ! and no semaphore boxes Shocked
Guido
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference, if any, between "grooved" and "ribbed"
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One is SHO, the other is SWF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tazm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 grooved on the left , and 4 ribbed on the right !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
...Personally I like the smooth but I want to make it original.

i installed smooth ones in my zwitter when i painted it because the car is cal look and the smooth ones go with the theme. i have the original single screw ribbed ones sitting at home in case i ever want to install them.

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
Dropped Metal Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We learn something new everyday on these forums
i have smooth semaphores on my zwitter too im not a purest so i dont worry to much they still look cool and get alot of looks when im driving around, its amazing how many people have never seen or even know about semaphores
ive even been asked why i put that window in the back lol
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank everyone for answering all the questions I ever had about correct semaphores , except one ! How do you keep people from trying to pull the semaphores out to show their asshole buddies the " funny turn signals " ? Seems every time I walk away from my '50 Standard , some clown " expert " has to show how smart they are , and start to pull the trafficators out , usually managing to f**k them up !
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpen the very end where they grab it? Hook up an alarm to it? Wire it to shock them? Smear something smelly on them? oops have I opened a can of worms?
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

repaint your car black so they don't notice!!

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for answering all the questions I ever had about correct semaphores , except one ! How do you keep people from trying to pull the semaphores out to show their asshole buddies the " funny turn signals " ? Seems every time I walk away from my '50 Standard , some clown " expert " has to show how smart they are , and start to pull the trafficators out , usually managing to f**k them up !

I usually whack in the head from behind with my crank start handle Gene.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John , Got an extra crank handle you'd care to part with ? I must live in some sort of dumb zone , I also had beer poured on the roof at the same place ( Friday cruise night at the local crab shack ! ) , but they left my wife's Packard alone , parked right next door ? Rodney Dangerfield was right !
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one of my first experiences driving my zwitter in CT in 1975. After making a lane change on I 94 I noticed out of the corner of my eye a car pulling ever so close to me, not passing but keeping pace with me. He moved closer swerving away & then closer. I finally got the nerve to look. Here the guy was leaning over rolling down his passenger window with one hand steering then beckoning me to roll down my window. You can imagine my fear being 19 and some crazed old guy shouting and swerving at 55mph "Hey what year is that and what are those things" (pointing to the semifores). I told him, but what I wanted to say is "get the F#$% away from my car you crazy old fart. Ironically, I am that crazy old fart now when I see a nice car. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: