Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 P27 Westfalia Deluxe Camper ~Maisy~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alot of folks forget what its like to be 17. Dont pay any attention to those giving you shit about trying for a lower price.

A simple, "sir, is there any way you'd consider $250 for the bus?" shouldn't offend the guy.

Either way, it looks to be a steal, for you! Go buy it, and enjoy it!
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
I think alot of folks forget what its like to be 17. Dont pay any attention to those giving you shit about trying for a lower price.

Nah. I think you're forgetting what it's like to work hard and save money for the things you want when you're young.

Wonderful lesson, by the way. Instead of encouraging the kid to be honest, work hard and save up money, and pay what the seller is asking -- which is fair and much less than what it's worth -- nah, it's better to lowball him!

You're a star!
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that bus is still there and the guy only wants 300 and you try to talk him down I will offer 500 and take it! I kid I kid Laughing
But really that bus has less dents than the one I just bought. 300 is a steal.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
put this in perspective. im 17, and have a paper route that pays like 40 bucks a month, and no other solid job (odd jobs every once in a while)
EDIT: no im not lazy as far as a job, i just dont have time with school and family stuff.

i sell things and make a few bucks on the side.

now i want a bus, but i dont want to buy it and go broke and not have money to fix it up after i get it.

also, the guy really just wants it gone, hes not looking for money.

Stuart

If you wanted, buy it for 300 clean it up get it running and then sell it for 1200.
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no reason to not at least offer a lower price. it is absolutely common in life. it is expected in car sales. i mean, who goes to a car dealer and pays sticker price? haggling is part of the process. who buys a house, and pays asking price without offering a lower bid first?

it doesn't hurt to try to get a better price. the worst the seller can say is "No". besides, when you are 17 years old, 300 dollars is a lot of money.

besides, the owner "wants it gone".
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im fairly sure he will take 250, if not, 300 will work for me. i just took about 100 pics of the inside. should have them up in a little while.

hopefully we will be done and gone by tomorrow night, BMW and VW both. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

then i go trade my pickup for a 68 westy.....yee haw!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH forgot to mention, i looked at the title, and relized i made a mistake. its a 78, not a 76.

also, BD, the two propane tanks were there im guessing because of the heater. idk if its stock, but the "gas heater" (which looks like a dealer option) runs off propane, and looks brand new.
so im guessing thats why there are two.
it also has a stove in it.

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as making me a bad person to deal with buying and selling is my forte, so you guys havent taught me anything new yet. keep it coming though...Laughing

MORE PICTURES!

Busdaddy, there are a few of the gas heater, and whoever was flippin about the door, theres a few of that too....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gas Heater Gauge right?

Speedo actually has 73K not 23K

The propane heater, stock, not aftermarket apparently

The begining of my interior pictures, ill put more up later, its time for HW!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say the door guards look original. they match the door curve perfectly. the gauge you think is for the gas heater, is a tachometer.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it and sell those "rare" door guards for $300 Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i will sell em. if they get in the way, they are gone.

thats what i thought. but the owner said he used it for the gas heater. and it says like UTM xRPM or something instead of rpm x100 etc

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great deal. Those giving you a hard time about the price are jealous of your deal. At 17 you can handle your wheeling and dealing just fine. Go get that baby! You'll have a lot of fun with it and when you move out of your parents place you'll have a good cheap place to live. That's what I did at your age...for 10 years. Great times. If you don't like the bus then sell that baby for all you can get out of it. You'll be just fine. Looking forward to seeing more pics.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i checked with the owner, and he said he doesnt know if the van was painted again, or whether its original paint. guessing the top and bumpers indicate a respray? the floors match the body, so same color and all.

Stuart

more pics to come

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I GOT IT!

final price: 300

we (dad n me) went over to the guys house. he was ready to sell it, had both itles (one for the westy, one for the 82 320I bmw) and we gave him 300 cash, and he gave us keys and the titles. turns out the guy kept the westy tabed all the time, so it has current tags on it till july 2010. so i tryed to start it using a jumper battery, turns out i forgot to charge that one Embarassed

so i took my three bad batteries down to pull a part (local junkyard) and gave them two (cores) and payed 31.50 for two used batteries. took then back, put one in the bus. squirted some started fluid down the intake.....and it fires right up! Very Happy Cool we left it to idle.....

walk over to the bmw, did the same thing, it started right up too!!! Very Happy
we go back over to the bus and try to move it (this bus has been sitting for 3 years i found out) and the guy left the parking brake on...dun dun dun..... so both rear brakes froze up. i proceeded to go forward and backward and finally popped it loose by rocking it.

drove it straight to the car wash! Laughing

cleaned up very nice after a 17 dollar wash (do it yourself timer etc)

(later did the same thing with the bmw, but we all know the westy is the main character here.....)

accidentally got some water in the intake (air filter was temporarily off), ran across the street, got a new cap (they didnt have a rotor or coil) and some starting fluid and a blade screwdriver. ran back to the bus and dad. put on the new cap, scraped the old rotor clean, and starting fluid into the intake, eventually puffs back to life again.

drive it down to the gas station, fill'er up with a tank full of premium, and some gas stabilizer (only had a 1/8 tank left) (gas gauge works great!)

drove it home! Yee Haw!!!

ill add some pictures of the cars later, before the wash and after.

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
dubluvv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Please change all of the fuel lines before you drive it anymore. You are brave for driving it home on old fuel lines/brake lines IMO.

'76 Westy 2.0L FI "Lucy" Project Thread
'84 Rabbit L Diesel - Potential Greasecar Project

[quote="chazz79"]"Aw honey, I got another one of those bay-bus things on my shoe again...dammit"[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say something about that....lol

i am planning on doing a tune up and oil change and fuel line replacement today.

on my list:

new parts: coil, rotor, plug wires, plugs, points, condensor, oil and filter, foel lines, and porlly vaccuum hoses too

tune: valves, check timing, and points

Clean: interior, and engine really well, then wash and wax the outside again. (hey vdubtech, are you busy? Very Happy)

And a few other things...

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your old coil if you insist on purchasing a new one. Since it obviously still works. I would wait on a new coil and go with electronic ignition instead. Add an air filter to your list.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the air filters fine, thats why i didnt add it. but ill double check.

also, the coil i have gives off a orange spark and i want a nice purple/ blue spark, but i am going to keep it as a spare.

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did an oil change, checked the fuel lines, and am going to be replacing the batteries (both shot, currently have the new one out of the bmw in it to drive it around) the thing drives like a dream. had an issue with the gears being very hard to shift into. while waiting for my sister to get into the car, i started fiddling with the clutch, and realized i had 4 inches of play in the top. so when i got home, i fixed that in about 5 minutes. then the car was idling and it died. long story short, the car was pull started, driven about a block (wouldnt idle at all) we lost power and coasted to the side of the street. eventually made it back home via other family members cars, and grabbed the new bmw's battery, and installed it in the bus, a bit of starting fluid and the thing runs great. get home. double check to see if i could find the power drain, and noticed i had left the AC power switch on Brick wall turned that off, took off the battery cable, and touched it to the batt, no sparks = no drain on the battery. should be good for now. gonna go purchase two new batteries, a deep cycle for the Accesories and a high capacity for the power to the engine. should work pretty well after that. at the same time i plan on putting in a one way switch on the acc. battery to keep it from draining the power from my starting battery. after that, its time to tackle a stripped altenator bolt (plan to weld a nut onto it and wrench it off) and replace the belt to make the alternator work better. after thats all done, this thing should be good. oh yeah, and replace the fuel lines ASAP. and get a fire exstiguisher. after my bug died this last weekend, im kinda freeked to have not had a exstiquisher. lucky me i had new gas lines and such and nothing cought fire, but it did smoke like hell when all the oil flew out the case and landed on the exhaust Shocked . some scary times right there.

i had the bus in school today in advanced Automotive and got the bus on a lift and did the oil change, and tok 20 pics or so of the underside. the thing is in GREAT condition. cant wait to get my licence and drive it all the time. Very Happy

ill keep the updates coming. and yeah, im working on more pictures.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, my mom decided to name her Maisy, and it reminds her of the corn meal stuff maize and maisy rhymed with daisy.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 47

Jump to: