Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RGB oil change
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick av-8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: RGB oil change Reply with quote

New bee question on the RGB.
I want to drain and change out the gear oil in the reduction boxes and pobably trans.
What is the recomended oil to buy?
Only have the local auto zones and palaces in town.
Not sure if there was something questionable about the grade..like GL 4 vs. 5 or something like that...
elliottjohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RGB oil change Reply with quote

mick av-8 wrote:
New bee question on the RGB.
I want to drain and change out the gear oil in the reduction boxes and pobably trans.
What is the recomended oil to buy?
Only have the local auto zones and palaces in town.
Not sure if there was something questionable about the grade..like GL 4 vs. 5 or something like that...

Richard Atwell has this to say about it. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GearOil.html

I didn't go crazy looking for GL-4 and put in GL-5 (redline iirc).

EDIT - Oh yeah the typical use the Search feature of the forum statement should apply as well to help you find the answer. This stuff has been discussed quite a bit.
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 90 weight Hypoid gear oil. You'll need a pump with it as well. I can't remember the exact amounts but you'll need about 4 quarts or so I think.

Take it around the block a few times to warm up the gear boxes and transaxle. Then put a oil catch pan under the transaxle and drain that oil whilst the bus is level. raise up the rear and remove the tires. Drain the RGBs. Make sure you clean off the area around the filler hole on top. replace the drain plugs and fill with the appropriate amount of gear oil. I use a measuring cup for this. Then put the wheels back on the lower the bus and fill up the transaxle while the bus is level again. The transaxle gets filled until oil starts to drip back out of the filler hole on the side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need a pump. The transmission takes 3 quarts of hypoid gear oil, and each rgb takes 0.5 quarts. A 17mm allen head wrench will take off the rgb and transmission plugs.

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
elliottjohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bherder wrote:
I don't think you need a pump.

You don't _need_ a pump, but I'd recommend it as well.

As a side note, there is the schematics to build a transmission oil dipstick from the "Local Manufacture of Workshop Equipment":

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit: added link to oacdp
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the official gear oil thread on the site:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276529

I usually use Sta-Lube GL-4 from Napa.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GL-4 sta-lube amost every napa auto parts nationwide carries it, 1qt per rdux box fill trans untill its full...with your bus level of course, and wheels off is more than fine
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.25 liter (0.53 pints) per RGB, 2.5 liters (5.3 pints) in the trans.

3 liters total.
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitty wrote:
0.25 liter (0.53 pints) per RGB, 2.5 liters (5.3 pints) in the trans.

3 liters total.

This is correct. Sorry I gave out bad info. I got confused between pints/liters/quarts

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you put in a fresh transmission it does in fact take 3 liters.

i just put in a new trans, i am only going to run synthetic gear oil in it.

i've always used 80w90 valvoline with no issues, except for the smelly mess.

definitely score a pump
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Unclebon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if i just want to top off the reduction gearbox oil? would i just fill it to the top? or is there a certain level the oil should be at?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclebon wrote:
what if i just want to top off the reduction gearbox oil? would i just fill it to the top? or is there a certain level the oil should be at?

since RGBs and the tranny are connected, and the oil level is checked in the transmission... i say fill up the transmission.... drive it around a little, and check it again. Once the transmission is fine, the RGBs are fine.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DCVW1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RGB oil change Reply with quote

Ok, I have a question here. I just put in a fresh rebuilt transaxle with reduction boxes. I replaced all the wheel seals and torqued everything. I was told to fill the transaxle and it will gravity feed the reduction boxes. Then go back and check the transaxle level and top it off. Now, should there be any drip out of the weeping hole on the backing plate, or did I overfill or screw something up?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RGB oil change Reply with quote

DCVW1966 wrote:
Ok, I have a question here. I just put in a fresh rebuilt transaxle with reduction boxes. I replaced all the wheel seals and torqued everything. I was told to fill the transaxle and it will gravity feed the reduction boxes. Then go back and check the transaxle level and top it off. Now, should there be any drip out of the weeping hole on the backing plate, or did I overfill or screw something up?

Not if you have everything done up right. Do you have the axle nuts snugged down well? If not that drums will not seal up against the seals inside.

Much easier to fill RGBs, then do the center section and quicker also. Doing that just thru the center section will result in having to fill and check, fill and check, fill and check...
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: RGB oil change Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Much easier to fill RGBs, then do the center section and quicker also. Doing that just thru the center section will result in having to fill and check, fill and check, fill and check...

Plus you'll be running the RGBs low or dry for a while until oil gets there. Fill the RGBs first.

Wise men will put magnetic tranny drain plugs in their RGBs to catch the metal dust from the gears before it gets in the bearings.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: RGB oil change Reply with quote

DCVW1966 wrote:
Ok, I have a question here. I just put in a fresh rebuilt transaxle with reduction boxes. I replaced all the wheel seals and torqued everything.
I was told to fill the transaxle and it will gravity feed the reduction boxes. Then go back and check the transaxle level and top it off.
Now, should there be any drip out of the weeping hole on the backing plate, or did I overfill or screw something up?

Let me guess, you were told that by someone who does not drive a VW with RGBs. Laughing
That oil moves s l o w l y, especially when cold. (You might want to leave your gallon jug in the sun to warm it up)

Nope, fill the boxes first, till they are full. Spin the drum while filling and you will see when it starts to burp bubbles. That means the box is full and draining into the center, bubbles coming from the center up the axle tube into the box.
Then do the other box.
Put wheels on, let bus off jack onto its 4 wheels.
Fill the center till oil level is at bottom of fill hole.

Do make sure the rear axle nuts are torqued before filling, or oil will weep.
This does mean drop the bus onto its wheels, torque axle nuts, jack back up and remove rear wheels.

Checking gear oil level (and topping as needed) is part of the 6,000 mile service. As we don't tend to drive these 12,000 miles each year, I recommend doing this once a year.
Changing gear oil is part of the 30,000 miles service.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: