Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CO to SoCal Desert and Beaches Spring Break road trip ideas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: CO to SoCal Desert and Beaches Spring Break road trip ideas Reply with quote

Howdy folks. I'm planning a road trip from Colorado to Southern California in late March and am looking for some good camping/recreation ideas. I've searched here and found a few interesting places. Goals are to camp every night for 13-14 nights, see interesting sights, do some hikes or bikes, eat good food and microbrews, have internet access most of the time so I can work a bit here and there and ... stay off interstates as much as possible. Map below is for the trip west.

Here's my plan so far: March 18, Day 1: Leave Salida, drop Mrs and Junior Ranchero off in Taos and then high-tail it to somewhere around Flagstaff. Don't know where to camp around here in winter.
Day 2, take my time, driving the Mother Road (66) as much as possible and ultimately make it to camp at Joshua Tree.
Day 3, Hike or bike in the morning then drive down by Salton Sea. Camp at Slab City???
Day 4, Drive to Agua Caliente Hot Springs and camp???
Day 5 (6,7), Leisurely drive to San Diego Intl Airport (can't quite see this on the map, but I want to hug the border into SD) to pick up Mrs and Junior, then drive to San Elijo Beach SP and stay for three nights (have a reservation). (Take Jr to Legoland and ???)
Day 8 (this is a Thursday.) Drive north to Jalama Beach. Stay two nights. They don't take reservations. Think I can get a campsite late on a Thursday afternoon?
Day 10, 11 Drive back to Capinteria SB and camp. Two nights. Have reservation. What to do in SB? Beer, food?
Days 12,13,14 Make our way back to CO. Have thought about Death Valley, Zion, Mojave

Any suggestions/tips on better places to camp, things to do, etc would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Steve

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client...48&z=6

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did part of this same trip this past summer. I think it will be really hard to get to Flagstaff in one day. You will actually be missing some great camping spots as well. I am a big fan of the town of Madrid (between Santa Fe and Albuquerque) which is on the Turquoise Trail (Hwy 14). I also love the camping over at Santa Fe National Forest (off Hwy 63). Just before you get to Flagstaff, there is nice desert type camping at the Homolovi Ruins State Park (this spot could get pretty windy though and is not as nice as the two spots I mentioned above).

If you're bringing any type of bike, Flagstaff is normally great but I am not sure about this time of year. However, a half hour drive south and you can be at Sedona which is accessible any time of year. This is a must for any biker. Once you get into CA, I would recommend Joshua Tree (which you already mentioned), Hurkey Creek (camping that is just outside of Idyllwild), and Angelus Oaks area which is just outside of Yucaipa (where Pop Top Heaven is located) off of Hwy 38. Idyllwild / Hurkey Creek would be a great way to cross from Joshua Tree toward San Diego.

The only other places I can think of would be closer to SanDiego; Mount Palomar and the town of Julian. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Bill
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are rolling through Flagstaff, pm. me. We are doing a trip that time also, along the same route but a bit different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love J-Tree, personally. Look up info on hikes: Gunsight Canyon is a good one in Indian Cove, Rattlesnake canyon is a short hike there as well. If you go into Joshua Tree NP proper you will have to pay the entrance fee, and camping is not free either. I've spent many a night chilling in the Mojave a couple of miles outside the park border to save some money.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't a big fan of Zion when we were there. Unless you have your heart set on it, I'd check out Bryce Canyon instead.

I hope to do the Death Valley trip some day. Here's a link to a slide show of this guys trip. Looked like they had a great time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffvickers/sets/72157617811816642

Hope you have a great trip.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going through I-40 to Barstow, you may want to consider camping at the Granite Cliffs in the Mojave preserve. Its free and spectacular. About 6 miles north of the I-40 in the middle of nowhere with some camping spots, easily accessible by 2WD.

Flagstaff and the surrounding area is very much under a lot of this white stuff, which may or may not disappear soon. In fact, more keeps appearing. You may want to go south through the Sonoran desert area and camp in the areas around Tucson instead, pleasant temps there now with excellent Mtb trails.

Granite Cliffs looks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anza-Borrego Desert State park is worth a night or two and you will be right there:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, sounds like a trip I will be making this summer. I live in Taos, and can make it to Flagstaff in 7 hours. There is a KOA campground in Flagstaff that is managed by some VW folks. I think her name is Janyel. She is a member of the Ghostwagens group.

If you have the time Sedona is a nice drive down 89A and as was stated the mtn biking is awesome. I lived there for 6 years. If you are going to the Salton Sea, you would be better off to take 89A thru Prescott and on to the 10 (nice drive), and then it would make more sense to drive over thru Julian over to Interstate 8, and then directly to Lindbergh Field (SD Airport)

From there you can drive Highway 1 North thru N. SD county, which will take you to San Elijo. Eventually you will want to get on the Freeway, as driving 1 thru Orange County is nothing but stop lights and traffic. Shouldn't have any trouble getting a campsite at Jalama this early in the year. Bring all your food, water and beverages in with you for the 2 nights. They have a little store there (not certain when it is open), but expensive. Nice beach and good surfing if the swell is right.

Lot's to do in Santa Barbara, but I happen to like just walking around downtown or hanging at the beach. One thing to note about Carpinteria campground is if you are at the south end, the RR tracks run right next to the campground and it never fails that a train will come by early in the morning...can be unnerving if you are not expecting it.

I would hit Joshua Tree on the way back. MO only, others may think differently. Have fun!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. I agree about camping spots in NM. 63 along the Pecos is incredibly beautiful camping. I've been to Madrid (great way to avoid the interstate btw ABQ and Santa Fe). Is there camping close by?

Biking in Sedona is a great suggestion. I'll investigate your CA suggestions as well -- Thanks!

wildenbeast wrote:
I did part of this same trip this past summer. I think it will be really hard to get to Flagstaff in one day. You will actually be missing some great camping spots as well. I am a big fan of the town of Madrid (between Santa Fe and Albuquerque) which is on the Turquoise Trail (Hwy 14). I also love the camping over at Santa Fe National Forest (off Hwy 63). Just before you get to Flagstaff, there is nice desert type camping at the Homolovi Ruins State Park (this spot could get pretty windy though and is not as nice as the two spots I mentioned above).

If you're bringing any type of bike, Flagstaff is normally great but I am not sure about this time of year. However, a half hour drive south and you can be at Sedona which is accessible any time of year. This is a must for any biker. Once you get into CA, I would recommend Joshua Tree (which you already mentioned), Hurkey Creek (camping that is just outside of Idyllwild), and Angelus Oaks area which is just outside of Yucaipa (where Pop Top Heaven is located) off of Hwy 38. Idyllwild / Hurkey Creek would be a great way to cross from Joshua Tree toward San Diego.

The only other places I can think of would be closer to SanDiego; Mount Palomar and the town of Julian. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Bill

ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carleton. I suppose there must be good BLM camping nearby JT. Thanks for the trail suggestions!

Carleton wrote:
I love J-Tree, personally. Look up info on hikes: Gunsight Canyon is a good one in Indian Cove, Rattlesnake canyon is a short hike there as well. If you go into Joshua Tree NP proper you will have to pay the entrance fee, and camping is not free either. I've spent many a night chilling in the Mojave a couple of miles outside the park border to save some money.

ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FNGRUVN. Bryce could work too. I haven't been to either. I wasn't able to view the link on DV.

FNGRUVN wrote:
I wasn't a big fan of Zion when we were there. Unless you have your heart set on it, I'd check out Bryce Canyon instead.

I hope to do the Death Valley trip some day. Here's a link to a slide show of this guys trip. Looked like they had a great time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffvickers/sets/72157617811816642

Hope you have a great trip.

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to the Woggs1!

Anza Borrego is a "desert"ed dream. Since you are heading to SD, you can pop over the mountains, grabbing some lunch in the wonderful town of Julian, driving up and over, making sure to stop at the bakery in...oh mam, is it called Dudleys? I know there is a dudleys up there somewhere. ANyway, grab a loaf o bread and keep rolling. You can drop down by the wild animal park and then you are is SD.

In Borrego, you are surrounded by Coyotes and crystal clear and dark night skies. There is some nice hiking. As for the Saltan Sea, some people find it fascinating, and some find it to be a mostly dry sess pool (I find it to bee both). Some great Americana out there. Notice the vacation suburbia that was built there years ago, now just a ghost town.

I get a big kick driving around through umm, the Mojave National Preserve. Some wonderful geology, caves, camping, and generally desolate roads. Great desert flowers as well.

One other little side-diddy...there is a road I have always wanted to travel-I think I will do it this spring break as well. It is called the Pines to Palms Highway, connecting a bunch of places like Palm Springs, Temecula, Julian, etc. Anyway, looks like a perfectly good road to get lost on. I have spent a good deal of time in that area and still never traveled it!

Happy Vannin'!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is "Jr"? Couple more ideas.

Since you'll be in the SD area for more than one day, you may want to consider a trip to the SD Zoo/Balboa Park and/or SeaWorld...or both on separate days. SD also has some kid friendly exhibits/museums in Balboa Park. Cap off the day with a visit to "Old Town Mexican Cafe" (in Old Town of course) and make sure to order the Carnitas. Great candy store to visit in Old Town as well.

If you want to visit La Jolla - combine with a trip to La Jolla Shores Park - very kid friendly beach (waves are not very big). Children's Cove has a bunch of seals sunning themselves. Down at Mission Beach - there is a small amusement park - wooden roller coaster, carousel, etc. Wave House is a fun place for a few beers and watching the locals hit the wave machine and do some fun stuff on their boards. Walking the "boardwalk" between Mission Beach and Crystal Pier always provides some nice sights for Dad, if you get my drift.

Agree w/ PW - lots to do in SB. You'll find plenty of places to eat/drink on State Street. Carpinteria has a nice little "downtown" and a few little Mexican restaurants to choose from. There's a nice supermarket right off the freeway on your way to the camp/beach. Plus, you'll have your bike so an easy/short ride for groceries or cervezas. What dates are you at Carpinteria? We'll be there 3/18-20. Also - the SB Nat'l History Museum is a great spot - neat stuff for kids there as well. The SB Mission is pretty cool too.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden

Last edited by rockfish on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to head all the way up to Pismo Beach. It's a spring break destination for many.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link that I posted above was from the yahoo syncro group posted by trailnewt titled "syncro Death Valley Slideshow" if you were interested enough to do a search. Sorry for the bad link. It was a nice slide show, though.
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DogPilot - thanks - I'll look at Granite Cliffs. The Sonoran Desert is great this time of year, but I make it to Tucson enough that I want to stay to the north. Great biking for sure!

Woggs1 and Classicvibe - I was thinking Anza Borrego instead of Slab City too. I might just spend a few hours there and head west. I think Agua Caliente Hot springs is right next to Anza Borrego - is it worth a visit? I was going to drive from there south on S2 to I-8, but maybe it would be better to go to Julian. Classicvibe - getting "lost" is my idea of fun too!

Peaceful Warrior - I love Taos - My wife is from there. Just barely chose Salida over Taos. Thanks for the KOA tip in Flag. I was originally planning to stay in Sedona and get a ride in, then I realized that if I went north a bit I could drive parts of old Rt66. I haven't yet biked in Sedona though. I bet the drive through Prescott and beyond is pretty. I'll look for a way to weave that in. Hitting JT on the way back could make that work. I'm with you on just hanging out in SB. Hoping to do that most of the time on the coast.

Rockfish - Jr is 7. He is a Lego addict. I didn't mention that his Aunt is going to camp with us at San Elijo. She is going to take him to either Sea World, the Zoo , or Wild COuntry Safari and give Mrs and I some time alone. La Jolla sounds good for a day as well. I'm not quite sure what you mean about "nice sights for dad", but I *will* check it out. wink wink. We'll be at Carpinteria the 27th and 28th.

PDX - Thanks for the tip on Pismo. We were considering a quick visit that way to visity GoWesty

Thanks so much for your suggestions - I really appreciate them!
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was thinking Anza Borrego instead of Slab City too. I might just spend a few hours there and head west. I think Agua Caliente Hot springs is right next to Anza Borrego - is it worth a visit? I was going to drive from there south on S2 to I-8, but maybe it would be better to go to Julian. Classicvibe - getting "lost" is my idea of fun too!

I think Agua Caliente...is that the springs from, ahh, that John Krakauer book about the dude who gives up his money, works a McDonalds in Laughlin and then goes to Alaska and dies? It was made into a movie and I am drawing a blank. Oh no, wait, you are talking about those springs on the Indian Reservation, right? Yeah, right in the heart of Palm Springs. That's pretty cool. IT costs some bucks to get in, but it is pretty. That road I am talking about winds around the mountains behind Agua Caliente by the way. The spring from the book (hold on, doing a search) AHA-Into the Wild, I can't find the reference, but maybe it is slab city where he lives for like a summer? I don't think that is far from Borrego, I know it is somewhere around the Salton Sea, which is less than an hour from the town center (Borrego Springs). ALways wanted to go there. You can do a really nice loop from the Palm Desert, into Anza Borrego, over the mountains and into SD. We Plus, all the fruit and fun out in Indio is great! You will like that trip.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranchero - If you end up on the beachwalk in between Mission Beach and Crystal Pier --- great place for breakfast/brunch/lunch is "Mission 2" - address is 4111 Ocean Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92109-3900. There's parking right at the end of Pacific Beach Drive + there's a a garage underneath the Hooters/Tony Roma building just behind on Mission.

Right on the beach walk - can sit at your table, watch the waves, surfers and plenty of people/skater/bicycle watching.

Huge pancakes...your son would love the chocolate chip pancakes...Dad should wear sunglasses, even if it is foggy... Drool

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anza Borrego is worth a couple nights, hope to spend a week there about the same your going through. With the recent rains the bloom ought to be incredible, the annuals might be out later in March. Lots of great hiking and mtn biking, where else can you disperse camp in a state park that is over half a million acres.

Agua Caliente is a county park within the ABDSP, good loop hike, Moonshine canyon if I recall. If you do go south to I-8 there are a couple of other campsites, we have been to Mountain Palm Canyon campground several times, free I think. Good hikes up into nearby canyons with native palm trees (like Palm Springs canyon, except no crowds). Good mtn bike loop south of MPC through narrows and down into Carrizo Wash (couple of sand sections) and back to camp.

Julian is okay for a western theme town, but those type of tourist attractions are all over the west. If you go into Borrego Springs the visitor center is worth checking out, great multi slide slide on the desert through the four seasons. East of Borrego is Font's Point (less sand) and June Wash (lots of sand), great views of the badlands right at your feet.

I could go on and on, have fun maybe I'll even see you there.
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Yellowjacket - thanks for the tips. I'll be in a white Syncro Westy with CO plates. Or maybe that will be a blue and yellow Yeti on a trail somewhere...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: