Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Final Factory Dual Carb Adjustment Procedure FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to need a few more pics of those carbs, they don't look factory from here.

Here's Colin's hookup info, send him a PM: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1248631

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, thanks again for publishing this excellent guide. A couple of notes:

Some of the diagrams have vaporized; I managed to get by without them but reposting them would be beneficial, especially for those not yet familiar with the nomenclature.

It might also be useful for the guide to specify that the procedure applies to Buses with an OEM (DVDA) distributor. If your Bus is cursed with a 009, you're kinda on your own.

The intake hose mentioned in Colin's spiel on emissions controls is missing from every '72-'74 Bus I"ve seen. I don't know how critical it really is for the engine, but I've replaced mine. It is a 63mm (2.5 inch ID) hose about 80-90cm long and is secured with a hose clamp at the airbox inlet and two lugs on the engine compartment wall near the right elephant-ear.

A good-quality, two-layer neoprene replacement is available from Pegasus Racing (part # 3630-2.50-3FOOT) for about $20. I haven't been able to find the OEM paper hoses anywhere; they are a different size than the common heater hoses.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korfmach wrote:

A) It might also be useful for the guide to specify that the procedure applies to Buses with an OEM (DVDA) distributor. If your Bus is cursed with a 009, you're kinda on your own.

B) The intake hose mentioned in Colin's spiel on emissions controls is missing from every '72-'74 Bus I've seen. I don't know how critical it really is for the engine

A) 009 can work, but I am not going to provide the work around solutions for an 009, it would make mincemeat of the already hard-to-discern logic behind these carburetors.

SVDA can work, too. Like the 009, without a retard at idle, you have to choke off the central idling circuit to get a decent idle. Then you have a poor transition to the main carbs off idle, etc.

B) That hose is the cool air supply. It is not emissions related. I do recommend that we pony up for a hose that can reach the right side scoop area.

As parts dry up, we will need to exercise ever-greater creativity to achieve anything like the driveability of the original engineering. It can be done.
Colin
sparky892
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

As parts dry up, we will need to exercise ever-greater creativity to achieve anything like the driveability of the original engineering. It can be done.
Colin

Colin, would you recommend that I replace the weber's that I have back to the originals?
I have a 72 Westy 1.7 with weber ict and can not get them to co-operate with each other..
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Final Factory Dual Carb Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

Any chance you could repost those missing images from your first post?
Great info, thanks
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Final Factory Dual Carb Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Great info, thanks

Check this page:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7767

Perhaps a mod or Colin will edit the first post accordingly, since the picture links seem to be broken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Final Factory Dual Carb Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
bwaz wrote:
Great info, thanks

Check this page:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7767

Perhaps a mod or Colin will edit the first post accordingly, since the picture links seem to be broken.

thanks for the link!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: