Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping to Hawaii
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

How much to ship to the Islands? Honolulu would be obvious choice. Are there ferries to shuttle between the islands, like Alaska has?

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

zimzam wrote:
How much to ship to the Islands? Honolulu would be obvious choice. Are there ferries to shuttle between the islands, like Alaska has?

Depends on how you ship it..

Call Matson directly..
If they won't talk to you, call an auto handler. Yellowpages.

Trans ocean shipping costs vary from day to day depenidng on market forces (fuel, space, etc). They will give you an estimate but your final measurment will determine the actual cost.

Likely, well over a grand each way.
(In comparison, my 3000lb 24' sailboat on trailer was quoted in at about $2800.. that was about a month ago)

Yes there are shuttles between islands. Barges and a new ferry.

It ain't cheap.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ferry? the superferry was shut down by environmentalist and the hawaiian courts.

if i recall car shipping is less than 2k to the islands, but i haven't quoted it in some time.

if you want to do it for a relatively short vacation it is not worth it, go there and rent one. if you're moving then yeah go for it, or consider shipping it in a container with all your other shite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
what ferry? the superferry was shut down by environmentalist and the hawaiian courts.

Well.. yes.. and no.. it seems.
SuperFerry was running without proper studies completed when they WERE running.
Thats a gimme for anyone who did not support the ferry concept.. an opinion shared by more than just "environmentalists"

What I was not aware of (having not read about it since last yr some time) was that SuperFerry declared bankruptcy.. So it looks like even though they could have been up and running again this yr with studies completed.. It is now dead.
Perhaps a victim of recession.. I though they had a second ship in the works. Money must have dried up.. or thier margin was very, very slim.. cough cough... trying to float a second boat on the income from the first?

Either way..
Doesn't sound too viable.

The only remaining ferries are passenger-only between smaller islands.
"Shuttles" = island hopper flights.

Otherwise
Vehicles are shipped via barge.. Mostly for residents' use.
Main shipping goes into Honolulu.. so there is considerable expense in getting a vehicle out to, say.. Kauai.

Previous owner of my 24' boat paid some $1000+ above and beyond the Hawaii mainland shipping cost to get the boat from Nahwilliwilli, Kauai to Honolulu in 2004.

Curious though.. Will a Westy fit in a container?

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Kasm10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breaking news: i just the other day read that the state may takeover the superferry's abandoned ferries (both of them) and restart service...google it
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Sure, should be no trouble at all.

A standard 40 foot container could fit two Westies end to end. A Westy is about 7 feet high or less, unless it`s a jacked Syncro or hi-top. Probably it would not even require a `high cube` container, which IIRC is either 9 or 10 feet high.

Get somebody else to double up with you, and ship two in a forty-footer.

Otherwise, one would certainly fit in a 20 footer.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.westpointrelocation.com/cars.html

Quote:
Our prices for shipping cars to Hawaii, port to port, is $1,195.00. Our mainland ports are San Diego, Los Angeles/Long Beach, Oakland/San Francisco, and Seattle. You will get the automobile to the origin port and will pick it up when it arrives at the destination port.

danfromsyr wrote:
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witless Joe wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

A standard 40 foot container could fit two Westies end to end.

Holy crap!
I stumbled across rough quotes for a 40'er to Hawaii.. And its something like $3500-4000 today!!??

OUCH!

danfromsyr wrote:
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get direct Matson service to Honolulu or Kahului, Maui. The only deals on containers are going out of state, not inbound.

In reality, the Super Ferry was shut down by those who have had the locals by the short & curlies for decades: Hawaiian Airlines and Young Brothers (barge system). A very vocal anti-ferry group on Kauai led the opposition, and it snowballed from there. The majority of locals wanted the Ferry, as it helped small farmers and average local families tremendously.

The modern avoidance systems on those vessels is second to none ... guaranteed no dead baby whales. But those two ships departed Hawaii long ago (to another country), never to return.

Ironically, the military will be operating nearly identical vessels in Hawaiian waters within a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matson and Sause Bros from the mainland and Young Bros interisland. I've used Young Bros several times. I live in Kaneohe, my daughter in Hilo, and my son in Hana. Check online for rates and schedules. Young Bros is barge service if you are concerned about salt spray. I believe Sause Bros is also barge, They handle containers, but not sure about autos.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Witless Joe wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

A standard 40 foot container could fit two Westies end to end.

Holy crap!
I stumbled across rough quotes for a 40'er to Hawaii.. And its something like $3500-4000 today!!??

OUCH!

It was $6000 for a 40' high cube from Seattle to Adelaide, Oz. We split that between ten 505 owners. So return trip for my boat was cheaper than economy airfare.

The key to cheap container shipping is dividing the cost. If you had two Westies, and maybe a couple of dinghies slung from the ceiling (a 505 and an I14? Check somewhere like SailingAnarchy for people needing shipping), then a few other large pieces strapped down inside the Westies or under them (eg. maybe an SVX engine?), and all of a sudden you are dividing that $4K between 4-5+ people.
Kalapaki Papa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: vehicle shipping Reply with quote

Last week I received a 56 bug shipped out of Long Beach to Nawiliwili (Kauai) by Matson....who were the cheapest 'this time'...$1074 total. Renting a container is #1 a hassle, #2 you need a loading dock to on and off load, #3 it's freaking expensive!
I rented a Matson 40 footer 4 years ago...filled it w/ surfboards, my 51 split and all our worldly belongings....it was $6700 then...has to be more now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kalapaki Papa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: p.s. Reply with quote

for vehicle shipping companies out there are only brokers...and they use Matson! Go to Matson directly and save the middle man fees! Since you're in CO drive to Long Beach or Frisco and dropp off you vehicle yourself. Be advised....your car could be 'in transit' for as little as 10 days to as long as 6-7 weeks.....like Matson did with my truck!!!
PM me if you have specific questions...Aloha!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread. I'm just wondering what the current vehicle shipping rates are.

Also, how tough are the state vehicle inspections in HI for a rusty lifted syncro with big tires?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Also, how tough are the state vehicle inspections in HI for a rusty lifted syncro with big tires?

you won't ask that when you see how many jacked rustbucket 4x4 pickups drive around with kids/cooleres/dogs/surfboards/fishing rods in the beds

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
tjet wrote:

you won't ask that when you see how many jacked rustbucket 4x4 pickups drive around with kids/cooleres/dogs/surfboards/fishing rods in the beds

Laughing Laughing

The safety check here is a joke. I remember coming from France I was stressing out so much bc the van I had just bought needed so much attention. Shit would have been seized on the spot.

Beep the horn, lights. Registration, insurance. Passed.

If you fail one place, you got ask around for an easier one. I`ve had some guys look at my CV boots once, I was like, you`ll never see me again. I passed but I was like these guys crazy!

Many lost their licenses. Tires cannot stick out from the fenders. Well, legally, bc you`ll see it everywhere, like sticking out 2 feet past the fenders Laughing Laughing

You`ll be fine, rust is not looked at either.

Shipping, just ask Matson online. About 900-1000 right now. Pasha is a hair cheaper I heard but baaad reviews.
If you`re moving to O`ahu, keep my contact, I`m the only good Vanagon mechanic there along with Steve`s, but he`s getting older (70), so he`s rightfully picky and doesn`t work on anything out of the basic stuff, camper, interior...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

Yep, Alika said it all and all Alika said is true. You ship Matson or Pasha to Oahu, then Young Bros to outer islands. YB rates just jumped up, it's around $400 one way. If you're going to Oahu, you got the best mechanic in the state, Alika. I've got a good second, here on Big Island.
Good luck, Hawaii ain't what it used to be...Aloha
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
Yep, Alika said it all and all Alika said is true. You ship Matson or Pasha to Oahu, then Young Bros to outer islands. YB rates just jumped up, it's around $400 one way. If you're going to Oahu, you got the best mechanic in the state, Alika. I've got a good second, here on Big Island.
Good luck, Hawaii ain't what it used to be...Aloha

Aloha Kaalualu, don’t want to hijacker’s the thread but curious which big island mechanics are the ‘go to guys’ for the Vanagon? Tempted to buy a friends county homes camper currently here (we’re visiting right now), it’s going to need some work but is nearly completely rust free (for now - shipped from mainland about 5 years ago).

Mark
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

Hi Mark, We’re on the Big Island too. Puna side for now.
Leaving Feb16.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping to Hawaii Reply with quote

I've had good luck at Waikoloa Automotive on the Big Island (if you're going to be Kona side), kind of right above town. Sometimes a longish wait as they're really busy, but great service and they were only interested in making sure the bare safety basics were acceptable - just as it should be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: