Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
31swford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the current best available match for early westy laminates? Castle Oak by Wilsonart?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what glue are you folks using? I see notchbay uses the 3M spray, I used it too and it is awesome. I also have this Dan Tack spray, it is very good glue, fast and strong. I fixed curled corners of a westy cabinet and it worked great.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the roll on kind but I like the 3m Super. There are several places in my 77 that need to be redone. Due to my inexperience using the roll stuff id guess. To much-to little, didnt let it cure....

For me 3m fixes that.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is awesome, I'm preparing to embark on the re-laminate project! Thanks for the read!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with these products? It's not too hard to get things shipped from UK so these are an interesting option.

http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/198-westfalia-interior-panel-for-berlin-7-piece-set.html

"Identical reproduction Westfalia interior panels for Berlin 7 piece set.
it is made of 3mm plywood with Westfalia late bay laminate."
Ion Pod Trailer
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a couple of us have.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7362976#7362976

I havnt installed my panels yet but they look as close to stock as possible.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone who has relaminated their cabinets can tell me how many 4X8 sheets I will need to do all of the cabinets and the closet in a 76 Westy. I do not need to include the wall, hatch or door panels in this estimate.

I searched unsuccessfully for the answer.

Thanks in advance!
two random thots:

WilsonArt is cheaper than Formica (both brands) but slightly lower quality (IMNSHO).

You can get good deals on damaged sheets at big box places. Typically a broken corner or edge. No choices in colors of course but it you want to stretch the regular stuff you are building and would like a white or black table top...
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
So what glue are you folks using? I see notchbay uses the 3M spray, I used it too and it is awesome. I also have this Dan Tack spray, it is very good glue, fast and strong. I fixed curled corners of a westy cabinet and it worked great.

Weldwood contact cement, rolled on. The solvent based is faster and works better when it's cool out. The water based is nicer to work with and you can clean and re-use your rollers. Buy in gallons. Well sealed both have excellent shelf life. The water based cannot be allowed to freeze.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Punkin wrote:
Anyone have experience with these products? It's not too hard to get things shipped from UK so these are an interesting option.

http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/198-westfalia-interior-panel-for-berlin-7-piece-set.html

"Identical reproduction Westfalia interior panels for Berlin 7 piece set.
it is made of 3mm plywood with Westfalia late bay laminate."

I'm the other guy here that's installed NLAVW's panels. If you start here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7274484#7274484 and skim forward, you'll see them getting installed as different parts of our '76 get overhauled.

I second the comments about Weldwood. It's all I've used on the cabinetry to re-install OG laminate. You'll find quite a bit of detail using it in my build thread.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

Hey all,

Quick question...for those redoing cabinets with readily available laminates like Glamour Cherry, are you using standard (thick) sheets or the thinner "vertical grade" stuff? I just did a test over the weekend with 1/8" thick backing and a vertical grade laminate and yielded a few panels with nearly the same thickness as my stock panel (so slotting the new panel at the top on the slider door was easy).

Anyway, just wondering...thanks!

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

We are now stocking late Westy laminate (for '74-up) in several versions. I only have a few of each...

Complete pre-cut kit for the walls, rear hatch, and sliding door:
http://www.busdepot.com/231898234

Sliding Door Panel Only:
http://www.busdepot.com/231898235

Laminate sheet (can be cut to replace laminate on cabinet door faces, etc.):
http://www.busdepot.com/231898230
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
We are now stocking late Westy laminate (for '74-up) in several versions. I only have a few of each...

Sliding Door Panel Only:

I believe I already know the answer but, someone will eventually ask you. Are these the ones from NLAVW?

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:

Sliding Door Panel Only:

Good to hear. Now maybe more people will do their buses back to a stock look. What about the driver wall for 74-75?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe I already know the answer but, someone will eventually ask you. Are these the ones from NLAVW?

Yes, same product.

Quote:
What about the driver wall for 74-75?

Not at this time. I could look into it on a special order basis but the lead time would be long (at least 8 weeks).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Great thread!

I'm going through my cabinetry myself as my garage isn't heated and it's single digits outside. Everything but the sink is in my house and I'm going through each piece getting it tightened up.

My sage green 1977 bus has all the pieces accept the large table. I may try to find an original but I'm thinking I'll make something custom, may be more fun...

So I'm calling this laminate "sprung" on the corners and I'm basically glueing them back down and repairing chips instead of replacing the entire sections. God bless the folks doing this, it's huge amount of work. For me I'd rather stick with original lam with blemishes instead of perfect lam that is not. Thankfully my bus wasn't too far gone and I'm happy living with its "honest" wear..

Mostly I wanted to share, without sharing picture, which I will try soon, I'm using a high quality super glue made for prepping fossils and glueing rock together. A lot of tape and camps. The smaller pieces that are missing get built up with another fossil prep putty and painted with acrylic artist paint to match the wood grain. You guesses it, the same as fossil prep....I'm clashing my fossil guys into my motor head guys and they're pleased to watch me geak out on the details, but I see by this thread I'm not alone. lol:

I'm preparing to attempt dash crack repairs too, accept with texture transfer molds for the filler.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

I too gained some knowledge from this thread. It gave me the initial info to get started. Without it I wouldn't of thought to relam myself. Now I don't think twice about it and think it no big deal.

Ive recently finished the panels. When I did my first big push to get the cabinets done, I lived in San Antonio and was a week away from moving back to Seattle. So the panels were just stained real quick. This last summer - what 5 years later I got around to the panels Rolling Eyes But I also finished the westy box and the dash table Cool

Looking good and finished now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Looking good!
(sold - but not forgotten)
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Yes I know this is an old thread - I'm looking at buying veneer from Oakwood Veneer as the cabinets in my 79 Westy are peeling like bananas! (Arizona heat - PO). So I'm wondering if I buy the 22 mil veneer, is that comparable to the old veneer (laminate)? Also:
II'm looking for 2 threads:
the first was step by step how to remove the cabinets and in what order; and the second was a lot about removing laminate (which I thought was this thread)

Does anyone know where these threads are? (I have the worst luck searching for threads.)

Thanks,
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

This post has some good info about cabinet repairs and laminate removal:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=260

And this one is good for cabinet removal:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291736

A good tip for searching is use google. If you type site:thesamba.com and then what you are looking for google will only search thesamba.com for relevant info. Much easier than built in search feature of this site. You can also just use key words in the search on google.

Ex: site:thesamba.com bay window cabinet removal

Also if you add bay window, beetle, split window, vanagon, etc. for a keyword you can further narrow down the search within thesamba.com. Hope that helps for the future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: